Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey got a 08 Hypermotard. I ride it pretty hard. It has 3,600 miles on it. I have been regular on maintanence with it. I've noticed that it sometimes hesitates to drop into 1st gear or find neutral. I don't know if Ducati puts sloppy transmissions in the bike or it's something from me. I've been riding for 20 years and don't have this issue on any of my other bikes or bikes in the past. I want to blame it on the bike but hoping i'm missing something... Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey got a 08 Hypermotard. I ride it pretty hard. It has 3,600 miles on it. I have been regular on maintanence with it. I've noticed that it sometimes hesitates to drop into 1st gear or find neutral. I don't know if Ducati puts sloppy transmissions in the bike or it's something from me. I've been riding for 20 years and don't have this issue on any of my other bikes or bikes in the past. I want to blame it on the bike but hoping i'm missing something... Thanks for your help.

There is a fault with some of the Hypermotards, mine has just developed it where it gets stuck in gear.
There is a TSB(technical service bulletin) out now for this problem with a kit that fixes it.
Mine only does it when I down shift very fast.
Have you tried bleeding the clutch as if you are not getting enough clutch rod travel, that may be a cause also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a fault with some of the Hypermotards, mine has just developed it where it gets stuck in gear.
There is a TSB(technical service bulletin) out now for this problem with a kit that fixes it.
Mine only does it when I down shift very fast.
Have you tried bleeding the clutch as if you are not getting enough clutch rod travel, that may be a cause also.
Yes I tried bleeding it twice with the same problem. But I did not know about the TSB. I will downshift quickly to the point where I assume the bike is in 1st gear. Green light and the bike chugs forward in 2nd gear. Is this the "stuck in gear" issue that the TSB addresses?
Thank you for your response! It definetly helps. I'm gonna call my dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
592 Posts
the stuck in gear problem is something phisically breaking that means you are STUCK in gear.

sounds like your dragging the clutch or you have a sticky lever that is causing the selector not to return correctly with your fast rally style gear shifts. I bang mine round the track all the time with no issues with the gears except if i don't pull the clutch lever in all the way neutral is hard to engage, this is because I've changed slaves and the action is shorter. have you changed to a 30mm slave?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
the shifter return spring failure is the problem that many have had. It happened to be twice. The bike would get stuck in 3rd. This doesn't appear to be the problem with your bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the stuck in gear problem is something phisically breaking that means you are STUCK in gear.

sounds like your dragging the clutch or you have a sticky lever that is causing the selector not to return correctly with your fast rally style gear shifts. I bang mine round the track all the time with no issues with the gears except if i don't pull the clutch lever in all the way neutral is hard to engage, this is because I've changed slaves and the action is shorter. have you changed to a 30mm slave?
No it's dead stock except for exhaust, clutch cover and clutch springs. The springs are noticably stiffer...

·
Registered
377 Posts
No it's dead stock except for exhaust, clutch cover and clutch springs. The springs are noticably stiffer...
I can tell you I picked my bike up from my last service and it was hard shifting. I never thought twice about it being lever adjustment as I ride it daily and never had any issues. Well, I felt pretty dumb after the tech suggested checking the lever adjustment and he was correct. The guy that must have test rode it adjusted the clutch lever. I've been on a bike for a number of years and I happen to have been an Aircraft Mechanic for 13 years and there you go. The problem was between the seat and the handle bars.... Hope that's your issue as its the simplest fix.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes I tried bleeding it twice with the same problem. But I did not know about the TSB. I will downshift quickly to the point where I assume the bike is in 1st gear. Green light and the bike chugs forward in 2nd gear. Is this the "stuck in gear" issue that the TSB addresses?
Thank you for your response! It definetly helps. I'm gonna call my dealer tomorrow.
Just be aware that down shifting fast coming to a stop may cause your bike to get stuck in gear. This may or not be a problem with your bike.
Just a warning, so if you try it, do it some where close to home.:eek:
Some bikes get it worse than others, some break the spring others dont.
Mine didnt and was able to knock it up a gear to release it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just be aware that down shifting fast coming to a stop may cause your bike to get stuck in gear. This may or not be a problem with your bike.
Just a warning, so if you try it, do it some where close to home.:eek:
Some bikes get it worse than others, some break the spring others dont.
Mine didnt and was able to knock it up a gear to release it.
Thanks for the heads up. I will definetly keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I think I have the answer!!

Hey got a 08 Hypermotard. I ride it pretty hard. It has 3,600 miles on it. I have been regular on maintanence with it...
Only issue I have encountered is a false neutral between 4-5 or 5-6 and I have just learned to give it a harder pull in the upper range.

Though, I tend to respect my tranny a bit more, especially the downshifts.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have also found it hard to find 1st when down shifting at a stop sign or red light. I thought it was just me. When I am coming to a stop I down shift like I would any other time. It feels like the shifter hits bottom. When I go to pull out I notice that I am in 2nd, not 1st. I have changed my slave out, not sure if this is the problem but I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've had that happen occasionally, but its happened on other bikes too. I just rock the bike foward and back a hair and it goes into first if I don't see the neutral light blink.

·
Registered
208 Posts
tranny

Only issue I have encountered is a false neutral between 4-5 or 5-6 and I have just learned to give it a harder pull in the upper range.

Though, I tend to respect my tranny a bit more, especially the downshifts.
I've gotten a flase nuetral between 3rd and 4th a few times (once in a wheelie :( . I really think these bikes are not that well built overall. Components are great but the fit and finish and issues like the transmission make me weary My Hondas have never had any tranny issues and I have converted 5 of them for street use and that is bad supposedly since there is no padding in the rear sprocket like the streetbikes.

I took my bike in and told them about this issue and they said the shift drum wasn't lined up and adjusted it. I haven't put on enough miles to see if the issue is gone. Do these things really have an adjustable shift drum that you can adjust w/o splitting the cases?? kinda cool if true

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Goat- I have the same problem... occassionally.

I rode to work in the AM, no problems.
Got on to go home, first red light, wouldn't get to N. Pushed down for 1st, didn't feel right, gave gas, moved then popped into N.
Drove all the way home like that.
Changed the oil and filter. Rode again, no problems- first time out.
Next day, problem returned.

Going to dealer shortly.

·
Registered
592 Posts
sounds like poor clutch. do you pull the lever to the bar or have 2 fingers under it? I'd say clutch is dragging and making it hard. mine is doing the same

1 - 16 of 16 Posts