Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is all.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Get to the important part - How many girls witnessed it ?:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
2nd gear power-wheelies should be do-able as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,279 Posts
They are.. Ask me how i know!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Are you sure that's all ? bet you got excited and "it " moved .:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ya... Got to say..

2nd gear throttle mingers are so much more controlled and cool as it gets!!
Try it.... Everybody is doing it!!!

Webby

·
Registered
247 Posts
Last weekend while out on mine for its maiden mountain run, I was in second and went to quickly overtake between corners and up she went.

I don't know who crapped themselves more, me or the car that came around the bend towards me. I had to quickly button off and gas it again, but more gently this time, all in the space of a second or two.

Great fun though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
125 Posts
So this bike does not have a wheelie control per say that cuts power to bring the wheel down???
DTC does engage once the rotation of the front tires slows. Thats why this bike is infinitely fun. So many settings....so many possibilities...so much fun. ;)

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
No actual wheelie control except the pilot. Actually I would like switchable WC because I am a pussy when it comes to first gear wheelies.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
161 Posts
No actual wheelie control except the pilot. Actually I would like switchable WC because I am a pussy when it comes to first gear wheelies.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
If first is to risky for you. Then set it up in solo and enjoy a lot smoother roll out wheelie in 3 rd gear. You won't get the high air, but you will get the feel of it in order to expand on it.

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
If first is to risky for you. Then set it up in solo and enjoy a lot smoother roll out wheelie in 3 rd gear. You won't get the high air, but you will get the feel of it in order to expand on it.
I'm comfortable enough with second gear wheelies, but then you have to be as they are virtually unavoidable. First gear is another story. Is that something I have to get used to? :D

My Mile did the same thing; high, power on (clutchless) wheelies in the first two gears. I had the same apprehensions with it. I would really like to practice on somebody else's bike! This (seriously) probably speaks to my total lack of seat time in the dirt with lighter machines. That seems like the right way/place to learn wheelie control to me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wheelies must be a lot of fun since they're so popular, but I wouldn't know from personal experience. Never popped one in over forty years of riding - it wasn't the bikes, it was the rider. And I consider myself an aggressive rider.

About twenty years ago I had a riding buddy on a Ninja who wheelied all the time. I'll never forget the look of anguish on his face when he was told he needed new steering head bearings after only a few months. :eek:

To each his own.

Michael

·
Registered
114 Posts
Only done a couple of wheelies in forty years also. Was riding dirt on a yamaha 250.
Actually a little worried that my Multistrada may "pop" up on me unexpectedly so I want to go and and practice some wheelies on a different bike so that I am prepared.
Anyone want to donate a wheelie bike for me so I can learn to control the unexpected.
RC

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
Wheelies must be a lot of fun since they're so popular, but I wouldn't know from personal experience. Never popped one in over forty years of riding - it wasn't the bikes, it was the rider. And I consider myself an aggressive rider.

About twenty years ago I had a riding buddy on a Ninja who wheelied all the time. I'll never forget the look of anguish on his face when he was told he needed new steering head bearings after only a few months. :eek:

To each his own.

Michael
If you have never done a wheelie on a Multistrada, it means you have never opened it up in (first or) second gear from 5K rpm. There is virtually no way to avoid them unless you are very, very judicious when rolling the throttle on. It doesn't have to be a lurid high wheelie, but the front wheel will be coming up at some time or another, even exiting a corner. Coming back down (hard) is tough on the hardware, but if you roll off gently the impact is greatly lessened.
I do not wheelie intentionally, but if in forty years you have never done one, (and I hate to challenge you or anybody else on a friendly forum) your idea of aggressive riding and mine are likely quite different.

What's more, you don't "pop" the on this bike: they are a function of pure torque and power.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My front wheel only lifted probably 4 inches... but it still counts! :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
The DTC definitely will keep the front wheel on the ground with higher settings (i.e. urban mode). My first unplanned wheelie was with a passenger - set it to Touring and didn't think about the DTC. Second gear came way up before I realized it. Very controllable on this bike...

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
The DTC definitely will keep the front wheel on the ground with higher settings (i.e. urban mode). My first unplanned wheelie was with a passenger - set it to Touring and didn't think about the DTC. Second gear came way up before I realized it. Very controllable on this bike...
You don't think it has anything to do with 60% throttle in urban mode or do you run full power in urban? When I've done that....run the high power setting..... the bike will still pull the wheel up (if I recall correctly:think:).
They do not advertise this bike as having wheelie control. One would think they'd say something if it did.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts