Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be like farting in church, but I'm curious to know how often Ducs get stolen compared to other bikes (Kawi's, Honduhs, etc)?

I'm reading this: EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA and he mentions Ducatis but it doesnt sound like they are a popular target.

It sounds like the theif would need to have an ECU for your bike and the key that goes to that ECU in order to steal it. That sounds like a PITA. The theif would have to plan ahead: know that there is a 1098 at such and such a place, get an ECU and key for a 1098, go to the 1098, replace the ecu and defeat any other security and then ride off. Versus walk up to a Japanese bike, break the stearing lock, defeat the other security stuff, hot wire the bike and leave. I'm sure it's not that easy, but still.

So is the whole Ducati security thing really effective?

The other take away from the material:
putting a disk lock on the front wheel is a waste of time. Better to do the back wheel. If you must use the front wheel think about stripping a rotor bolt or something to make removing the rotor difficult for the thief.

LoJack doesnt stop the thief from stealing your bike, it just helps locate the bike if the theif doesnt know what he is doing. If you do have one installed pay to have it well hidden to make the theif's job of locating it more difficult. Or don't get one but put Lo Jack stickers on your bike to really fuck with them.

Use a chain through the swing arm and other hard parts

You went big and bought a Ducati, don't go cheap on the chains and disk locks.

Add in an alarm that goes off if the bike is moved.

If you live in an apartment - get a locking garage or find a nearby storage facility. Do not park the bike outside unless you want it stolen. Also avoid the student motorcycle parking spaces at school.

Make your bike unattractive: road rash is good, safety wire is good, worn out grips, burnt up tires. Basically - don't look like the gold chain trophy that most Ducatis look like. Ride the piss out of it and let the bike look like it gets the piss ridden out of it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this with everybody in case they had missed it.

For all I know the guy is completely full of shit and I just wasted my time typing this and your time reading it. But that is the internet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Some worthless piece of shit tried to steal my Monster...obviously he was way too dumb to realize hotwiring the bike will not work because of the ECU and the chipped key. Instead he simply removed my ignition and caused about $900 worth of damage. Guy was so dumb he even lifted the seat bikini fairing thinking it's a storage area where I would casually store my parking garage remote...:rolleyes: Good thing they couldn't get the bike outside or tried to load it on a truck. Overall pretty happy that newer Duc is much harder to steal. If that moron does come back..I will make sure to have a shotgun waiting for him :D

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
I don't think it matters much what you do. Most of the security items you get for your bike are a deterrent from wanna-be criminals and joy riders. If someone really wants your bike they'll get it. I've heard of crews pulling up in a pickup, lifting the bike into the back of a van or pickup and driving off. Lojack can be defeated by putting it into one of those metal shipping containers that they use on trains and ships.

I believe my anti-theft system is really your only hope. It's name is Bob.

Don't worry. Bob only dislikes stupid people. He won't hurt you unless you do something inherently stupid like touch my bike.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Scblacksunshine - I think I read your questions to AMA. I'd be royally pissed too. So do you plan to use 00, birdshot or slugs? I'm kinda in favor of #6 birdshot, big enough put the perp on his ass, but hopefully not kill instantly - I want some pain and suffering first.

@CptFunnypants - So Bob rides bitch? I'd like to see some video of that. I'm sure it would stop traffic.

·
Registered
102 Posts
@Scblacksunshine - I think I read your questions to AMA. I'd be royally pissed too. So do you plan to use 00, birdshot or slugs? I'm kinda in favor of #6 birdshot, big enough put the perp on his ass, but hopefully not kill instantly - I want some pain and suffering first.

@CptFunnypants - So Bob rides bitch? I'd like to see some video of that. I'm sure it would stop traffic.
Yeah that was my post and I think slugs is the only option for me...although lately I have been thinking of getting a taser, I might tase the dumbass first then beat the living crap out of him..that would be more satisfying ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts