Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my 07 GSX-R600 and in the market for a Ducati. I've have two models in mind but can't decide which one to choose. I'm looking at a 08/09 Hypermotard 1100/S or a 2010 Streetfighter, non S, I know there both different bike styles but I want to hear from similar people in my situation. I've read several post regarding both bikes and some of the issues they have, HYM have some fueling issues (running lean and needing ECU reflashed) and with the SF tank expansion (issue or not?) and the fork recall. Help me decide with pros and cons for both bike and your personal reason for choosing the bike you did.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I recently sold my 07 GSX-R600 and in the market for a Ducati. I've have two models in mind but can't decide which one to choose. I'm looking at a 08/09 Hypermotard 1100/S or a 2010 Streetfighter, non S, I know there both different bike styles but I want to hear from similar people in my situation. I've read several post regarding both bikes and some of the issues they have, HYM have some fueling issues (running lean and needing ECU reflashed) and with the SF tank expansion (issue or not?) and the fork recall. Help me decide with pros and cons for both bike and your personal reason for choosing the bike you did.

Thanks

we see that you live in or around Sparks, NV.....what type of riding, roads (including connector freeways/highways), and wants/preferences/expectations do you have?

help us help you.

:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do some communing around 10 mile round trip, weekend ride with friends around town on freeways and some city street. Like hitting the twisty up to Lake Tahoe and back down Hwy 50. I would like to have similar performance on the twisties as the gixxer and also be able to do some wheelies, probably not to hard on either bike.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
69 Posts
Streetfighter, unless you are REALLY into the twisties, the streefighter will be much more familiar. And would blow past your old gixxer.

·
Bon Vivant
10,917 Posts
The fork recall only effected the first batch of streetfighter S models durring the first few months of production - all of those units have had the problem rectified. So that is a non-issue.

Fueling was and continues to be a problem on all streetfighters so if you're buying used I'd look for a bike that has had the problem fixed by the previous owner.

I can't speak to the hyper but the SF is not the most civilized bike in town or in traffic or for commuting in heavy traffic. It has a heavy clutch, it gets hot, harsh engine decel makes off-on throttle abrupt, lumpy cams make idle less than smooth, the steering is heavy at slow speeds and it doesn't like to run under 3000RPM.

But the bike is wicked fast and has loads of down low torque, it handles fantastic at speed and the seating position is quite comfortable for a sport bike. It is a kick in the pants to ride.

Neither the hyper nor the SF is going to be anywhere near as smooth and easy to ride as the GSXR, and neither will have the perfect fueling and throttle control that bike has. Be prepared for a completely different experience.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
for the type of riding that you do (or at least have described), either bike would suffice i suppose, and would really come down to power, ergos and looks. i've owned both, and if i lived up in that area (i used to ski in the Tahoe area, so i'm familiar with the roads), i would probably choose the HYM, but if you want more of that superbike type feel, then the SF would be best. the HYM seating/riding position might take some time getting used to, it's quite different. while i tend to prefer feel/grunt of the air cooled motors, the power that the SF makes (see Flynn above) is pretty intoxicating.

they really are two different bikes, but i feel that either would work, choosing which one fits best is up to you :)

give 'em both a ride if possible and decide then.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just buy an SS and call it a day. ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just went through the same process. I had a 998 Bayliss that I didn't ride, for many reasons, it was precious, super low miles, flawless, and it wasn't comfortable, but it was a rocket and fun too.

I started out looking at the Panigale, then the Hyper, then it was between the SF and the Hyper, and I ended up with the hyper and couldn't be happier.

What I like:

It is miles more comfortable, and easier to ride. Plenty fast, handles great, eats up the pothole-filled backroads that I ride on, gets lots of attention wherever I go.
Engine has plenty of power for me, and doesn't get hot in traffic.

What I don't like:

Small gas tank, not a big deal for me as i ride locally mainly.
Mine's a 2012 SP1100, and it is tall. again, not a really big deal (I'm 5'11''). Planning on modding the seat or getting the DP low seat someday.
Gearing was a little tall, but fixed today with a 14 tooth front sprocket.
Still getting used to not owning a superbike looks-wise, but every time I get on it I forget all about that.

This change of bikes for me was about riding. I had my dream bike (times 10) but I didn't ride it. This was probably the main factor in getting the hyper over the SF or Panigale, because with either of those I think I would have found excuses to not ride them (short rides, heat at stoplights, riding a super fast bike slow, comfort).

I think the SF looks more badass, but I'm glad I got my Hyper because I'm riding it everywhere now, all the time, enjoying myself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feed back. My mind is made and the Hyper it is. One I have my eye on has all necessary upgrades including Leo Vince slips-ons w/ cat delete and ecu to match plus some bling.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i saw some pictures of a new hyper coming out...not sure if they were legit or not...kind of looked like a multi and hyper mixed...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts