Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Sport Classic owners. Obviously we all yearn for the ultimate ride of yesteryear crossed with the inevitable march of technology. If you could own/build/dream the ultimate meeting of the best tech of yesterday,today and tomorrow along with the panache of the classics; what would you ride? Or create? Is a Vincent still a Vincent with modern suspension and brakes? Or is overcoming the limitations of the age REALLY what makes a vehicle great? What exactly makes us invest emotionally in a piece of metal and plastic? And can we buy that nostalgia from the factory?. Or, more important for us ,can we depend on the industry to attract new riders using nostalgia? Or are we just recycling older enthusiasts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
lean angle

I do not think the Termi 2into1 pipe will be the limiting factor in lean angle. I believe the pegs will ground first.
I do not know about the stock pipes as I had the Termis installed before I picked up my PS1000LE.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I do not think the Termi 2into1 pipe will be the limiting factor in lean angle. I believe the pegs will ground first.
I do not know about the stock pipes as I had the Termis installed before I picked up my PS1000LE.
Paint, did you mean for this to be in the 'Termi 2:1' thread?

Since I'm here, how 'bout someone making a production run of Brittens? That'd be a good start for 'ultimate rides'! I've never ridden one, let alone seen one, but I'd like to do both.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I actually really like the balance struck by the SC1000 - classic looks but modern components. Main gripes for me are the lack of adjustablity on the fork (that's nuts on a bike costing this much) and the overly extreme riding position. An Ohlins rear as on the prototype would also be cool. I guess we always want more than we get. I still want one though, and will very likely leave it stock except for maybe a gearing change and removal of the evap cannister. It really is just that close to perfect for me.

But the "Ducati-ness" of it - trellis frame an d 90° air cooled desmo twin - are the real selling points. It has much higher cool factor than other retro bikes like the ZRX. The contemporary aspects such as the offset rear shock, asymmetrical swingarm, etc. somehow add to rather than detract from the whole concept. Very delicate balance that has been struck by Terblanche, and I would say very successfully. The spoke wheels must have been a tough call for him, but in the end I think it was the right choice.

I think there is a real market for stripped down, essential sport bikes that have top end (or near top end) components but are still good value for the money. Manufacturers always complain that we say we want naked bikes but then don't buy them, but what they deliver always seems to be a comporomise with a lot of corners cut. Just hang a decent motor off a light frame, and then don't scrimp on suspension or brakes, keep the ugly plastic to a minimum, avoid stupid electronic gadgets (like LCD tachs) and goofy styling choices (like the ugly exhaust pipes and faux aluminum plastic frame covers on the Z1000), and watch the buyers line up.

When guys with the time and dollars decide to just build rather than buy what they really want, it often ends up being almost exactly what I have just described. Back to basics. (Read, "back to cafe racers"). A good example can be seen in what people are doing these days with Bandit 1200s. Simple air cooled motor easily modded to make 125 hp and torque to the sky, strip off the rest of the crap, and you are left with something really cool.

Ducati has really tapped into that desire with the SC1000. Triumph has come close recently too, but they are handicapped by the lack of power from the Bonneville motor. The Speed Triple is another good attempt, but the styling is too wonky for a lot of people to love.

Modern cafe racers are just so much better thatn their ancestors. You can still get the stripped down essentialness (maybe after removing some pollution control junk), but still have all of the advantages of fule injection, electronic ignition, sophisticated suspension, etc.

Blah blah blah...you got me going.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Having thought about it some more, I came to realize that a 2004 or 5 Monster 1000S is pretty much exactly what I was describing. Just replace the ugly mirrors with bar ends and maybe install a larger rear sprocket and that is pretty much my perfect bike. Might ditch the wobbly bikini fairing too.

Hmmm.....

·
ROF
686 Posts
YellowDuck said:
I actually really like the balance struck by the SC1000 - classic looks but modern components....
...But the "Ducati-ness" of it - trellis frame an d 90° air cooled desmo twin - are the real selling points. It has much higher cool factor than other retro bikes like the ZRX. The contemporary aspects such as the offset rear shock, asymmetrical swingarm, etc. somehow add to rather than detract from the whole concept. Very delicate balance that has been struck by Terblanche, and I would say very successfully.....

Blah blah blah...you got me going.
What he said! Nail on the head....

Speaking of Pierre Terblanche.... or should I say Terblanche speaking...

The Ducati SportClassic series is new family of bikes that is the brainchild of Ducati design chief Pierre Terblanche. Its members are three very different machines, all based around similar rolling chassis powered by the latest air-cooled, two-valve 1000DS engine.

All, Terblanche insists, are not replicas of famous 1970s Ducatis (as a cursory glance at their styling may suggest). Instead they are full-on, modern sports bikes which take their styling cues from, and pay tribute to, illustrious forebears from the 1970s.

"I wanted not to just recreate an era," Terblanche explained, "But to produce real, modern sports bikes - that's why, for example, they have inverted forks. The intention was to take the look and feel of the past - but to produce modern bikes with the very best in equipment available today."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts