Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Surfing my cable service for upcoming motorcycle races I saw this thing called "Ulster Real Road race" ... no idea what it was so I set it up to be recorded. My wife, brother, and I watched it yesterday ..... WOW! For those of you unfamiliar with it, imagine Isle of Man but instead of staggering each rider at the start, the whole mob leaves at once just like a regular track race .. but on 100% public roads.

LINK = https://tbni.blog/2019/08/09/2019-ulster-grand-prix-results/

I guess it's now the "official" fastest road race on the planet with an average speed over 136mph. It was very exciting, and the camera work was outstanding.

I also learned about a Super Twin bike I'd never heard of known as the "Paton" (Images attached ... take note of the all hand brazed frame). There were A LOT of them at that event. What catches the eye first on the Paton is the two-shock rear suspension (y'know, like all of the pre-monoshock designs pre-1980s). Some say it's the best handing motorcycle on the tracks. Outfitted with some sort of Kawasaki vertical twin engine (650cc Ninja is my guess).

Superbikes, Supersports, Superstocks, Super Twins, Ultra Lights (250cc two strokes up against 400cc four strokes), and MOTO3 classes.

:grin2: :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Top speeds in the Superbike class exceed 202mph. Could be wrong but it appeared as though every class is on DOT type tires ..... woops ... tyres.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Top speeds in the Superbike class exceed 202mph. Could be wrong but it appeared as though every class is on DOT type tires ..... woops ... tyres.

I believe the Superstock 1000cc bikes are on DOTs, but the Superbike 1000cc machines run slicks. That’s how they run IOM anyway.

2004 Ducati ST4s ABS “Senna”
2002 Yamaha FZ1

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,521 Posts
The original Paton was basically two Linto single cylinder motors made with a twin crankcase.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Great racing. I’ve got them set up to record. I’ve always had a love for racing on real roads, but the bikes have gotten so fast I think it may be time to limit them in some way, engine size or something. It wouldn’t effect the quality of the racing in my eyes.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great racing. I’ve got them set up to record. I’ve always had a love for racing on real roads, but the bikes have gotten so fast I think it may be time to limit them in some way, engine size or something. It wouldn’t effect the quality of the racing in my eyes.
You're probably absolutely right! For example, while the Super Twins aren't nearly as fast as the Superbikes, they still provide plenty of exciting racing .... just to back up your point. Another example to bolster your remark here, easily the most exciting race was Day 1 of the Supersports ... hellafied last lap battle for 1st place! While at the same time their top speeds were nearly 50mph slower than the Big'ns.

"That's one that will be talked about for the next decade" .... so sayeth the commentators of that Supersport race.

:smile2:

Day 2 was on a rain soaked course. Oddly enough there were no big eat-its in any of the classes.

That course is very smooth, the road surfaces are in excellent shape, and from what I could see there are FAR FAR less stone walls to kill you (unlike Isle Of Man where there are countless stone walls lining a lot of the course).

I wish we had races like that here in the USA. The old Corona GP comes to mind (well documented in the movie "On Any Sunday"). But here in the mighty mighty US-of-Fekkin'-A there are too many lawyers, too many regulations, and far too many politicians that are intent on saving us from ourselves. Jesus H ... kids have to wear helmets just to ride a bicycle here!!

...bah ... !!!!

:wink2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts