Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bit of a problem with the title of a Ducati that I bought. I got a used 2000 Monster 900S from a family member in Pennsylvania. I live in NJ. We got the Pennsylvania title signed over to me and notarized. But when I took it to the NJ DMV today, they said they won't accept it.

The problem, apparently, is that they think the title has the first letter of the VIN number as a "2". I told them "no", it's a "Z". The bike clearly has a "Z" on it, which makes sense since "Z" is the letter for Italy. To be honest, the printer that made the Pennsylvania title has blocky letters, and it could be a "Z" or a "2". They said they can't accept it and that I have to go back to PA and get it retitled with the correct VIN number.

I'm going to call the PA DMV on Monday to see if they can clarify what character it is as well as what I need to do. But I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I've read about lots of people having problems with the WHOLE VIN number being wrong, but this is just 1 ambiguous letter. It's killing me since I can't ride the bike until it's corrected.

·
Registered
970 Posts
It seems like they should know how the VIN works and logically understand that it is a Z..
I honestly have heard nothing but headaches out of NJ and licensing bikes.. Sure glad it easier out here! Good Luck

Got a bit of a problem with the title of a Ducati that I bought. I got a used 2000 Monster 900S from a family member in Pennsylvania. I live in NJ. We got the Pennsylvania title signed over to me and notarized. But when I took it to the NJ DMV today, they said they won't accept it.

The problem, apparently, is that they think the title has the first letter of the VIN number as a "2". I told them "no", it's a "Z". The bike clearly has a "Z" on it, which makes sense since "Z" is the letter for Italy. To be honest, the printer that made the Pennsylvania title has blocky letters, and it could be a "Z" or a "2". They said they can't accept it and that I have to go back to PA and get it retitled with the correct VIN number.

I'm going to call the PA DMV on Monday to see if they can clarify what character it is as well as what I need to do. But I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I've read about lots of people having problems with the WHOLE VIN number being wrong, but this is just 1 ambiguous letter. It's killing me since I can't ride the bike until it's corrected.

·
Registered
463 Posts
What a bunch of jackasses. Clearly it is a Z, it has to be a Z for that bike. I would try a different branch and see if you can get someone who has a little more up top.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I tried to help a friend of mine last year when he bought a 748 and it was originally titled in WI then sold to someone in AZ and the AZ DMV mistyped the VIN and transposed two digits. So when he tried to register it in his home state after he bought it from the AZ guy he ran into problems. It's all Mickey Mouse...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
188 Posts
The idiots down at the motor registry didnt want to give me a permit for my 125 Ducati Bronco because the frame number (before VINs) was the same as a registered caravan, and they wanted to inspect it to be sure it wasnt a caravan :confused:

If your able, why not 'neaten' up the letter, or take it somewhere else? Thats probably better than traveling.

MF

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, the brilliant part of all of this is that the guy at the NJ DMV actually wrote on the PA title that the VIN "need to be fixed", so anyone looking at it will be suspicious now. I checked with the PA DMV this morning, and indeed the first character is a "2" in their system. So I have to have the former owner (family member) get a corrected title in PA, which included getting a stenciling of the VIN off the bike.

Grrrrr.

I guess the good news is that there is a process available to fix the situation. But it's so damn frustrating. If the insurance company, NJ DMV, and carfax all indicate that the "2" is an invalid character then how did it get put into the PA system that way in the first place?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts