Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have searched and read many threads, but nothing has matched my exact problems. I have a 2008 Hypermotard S with 4000 miles on it. Up to this point, I have never had a problem with it. BUT, the other day it "missed" a couple of times while out on a 150 mile ride. By the last 5 miles, it started missing hard, spitting, sputtering, and killing the motor. At the same time, the speedo kept flashing different numbers and all of the lights on the dash flashed on and off. I could turn the key off, then back on and it would fire right up. But it randomly went through this cycle at various times (maybe another 5-6 times) on my trip home. I never noticed any CE codes. Any idea what to look for? I am at loss here.

·
Registered
757 Posts
grounded?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I had a CBR6 do this...

Your regulator/rectifier is shot, the voltage spikes, peaks & troughs make the ecu & gauges freak out. :)

·
Old Fast Guy
486 Posts
I had a CBR6 do this...

Your regulator/rectifier is shot, the voltage spikes, peaks & troughs make the ecu & gauges freak out. :)
This ^^^ and/or battery is shot.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This ^^^ and/or battery is shot.
Yes, either faulty rectifier or loose battery leads/bad battery.

I've had loose leads a few times. At first it's annoying, the bike surges and throws CEL codes left and right, and then a few miles down the road it won't start or even turn on the dash :rolleyes:

If you let your bike run, what battery voltage does your dash give you?

It should be somewhere near 13,8V

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry for the delay. spent last night performing surgery on my seat bolt as i stripped out the hex head on it (another ugh!). but sure enough, the negative battery lead had come loose. i tightened it back up and called it a night. gonna take it for a spin after work tonight to see if it acts up any. hopefully i don't have to replace the rectifier and/or battery if i don't have to. i'll be sure to post my findings along with what the battery voltage reads on the dash.

thanks for the input, everyone! :)

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: took the hyper out for a 50 mile ride after work and everything seems to be just fine, thankfully. Voltage stayed steady at 13.6-13.8. A big thank you to all who responded to this post. Made my day and made this out to not be such a big thing like I thought it might be (never had a battery lead come loose before.....go figure).

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hehe, the battery leads strike again :D

Mine came loose after 50 meters on my test ride, then 2 times after I bought the bike. I then bought the battery bracket from Ducati to keep it in place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts