Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone ever used those trailers from Uhaul.

I was actually going to get an Eagle Rider trailer, but there is no Eagle rider in the area where i am moving (NYC). Uhaul in Brooklyn, though, has motorcycle trailers even though you have to reserve one 2-3 weeks in advance, due to scarce availability....

Just looking at the pictures on Uhaul site and the web in general, i cant tell whether or not their motorcycle trailers are any good.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
714 Posts
it dont have to be a "motorcycle trailer" any flatbed trailer will do,they got whats called a garden trailer see if you can get one of those{from uhaul}

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I used a Uhaul trailer to haul my bike from Alabama to Missouri and back. Not a motorcycle specific one, just a normal covered moving tailer. My only real concern was the strength of the tie down points. They seemed a bit iffy, but they held. It worked pretty well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
hey dont be ashamed to drill in some tie downs if nessesary,no one will notice,are you planning to rent the trailer in brooklyn and return it to brooklyn or renting it one way from md to ny?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I was told that the trailer you're showing is for local use only. The local U Hauls people said they are phasing them out because people would haul 2 big heavy Harleys down to Bike Week and destroy the little wheels on the trailer. So, they rented a trailer to me with a drop down tailgate. I put the bike on a rear stand and tied it down good. Make sure the suspension is compressed by the tie down straps. The had a heavy duty steel loop in each of the four corners of the bed of the trailer.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey dont be ashamed to drill in some tie downs if nessesary,no one will notice,are you planning to rent the trailer in brooklyn and return it to brooklyn or renting it one way from md to ny?
It maybe a thought (about putting in some tie down points)....

Yeah i am renting the trailer in Brooklyn and then hauling the bike to brooklyn from Maryland.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I bought a chock from harbor freight and screwed it to the floor of the trailer. used the tiedown loops in the corner of the trailer. after the trip i removed the screws and scuffed dirt over the screw holes which made them dissapear.

·
Registered
714 Posts
gene,you dont want to know the things Ive done with their trailers including not returning a few.if you need, I got some people in u haul I could steer you to for a rental.I dident for get you on the garage thing,Im waiting to get rid of some cars and make it a bikes only garage.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you're having U-Haul install your trailer hitch / ball, make sure you check it before you start hauling. Those idiots can screw up a wet dream.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=71628&highlight=U-Haul
+1 we are a service provider for u haul and the equipment is sub par only thing worse are its employes,total bone heads with no common sense,thats why its called U haul cause U are on your own.as with towing anything check hard and check often, things happen !

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gene,you dont want to know the things Ive done with their trailers including not returning a few.if you need, I got some people in u haul I could steer you to for a rental.I dident for get you on the garage thing,Im waiting to get rid of some cars and make it a bikes only garage.
You are the man... man!

PM me with your info. We'll go for a beer and to collaborate on the garage thing and riding in general

1 - 13 of 13 Posts