Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rego is due and the tyres on my DB1 have insufficient tread to pass. I have obtained a new rear tyre but it is hard as a rock and starting to crack. The nearest compromise I can find is a 120/70/16 for the front and a 150/80/16 for the rear. I am concerned the 150/80/16 may not fit the 4.5" rim. Any help gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rego is due and the tyres on my DB1 have insufficient tread to pass. I have obtained a new rear tyre but it is hard as a rock and starting to crack. The nearest compromise I can find is a 120/70/16 for the front and a 150/80/16 for the rear. I am concerned the 150/80/16 may not fit the 4.5" rim. Any help gratefully accepted.
Sorry for the delay in response. I have an Avon 150/80/16 on the back of my db1, without any fit or clearance problems - other than the rear of the bike sits up by an extra 12mm or so. I've had an original Michelin 160/60/16 tyre on order for over 2 years. No ETA from Michelin.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ian,
Thank you for your advice. That is good news.
I have had a set of Michelins on order at Gowanlochs since I bought the DB1 in December 2005. The local tyre dealer says he contacted Michelin with a confirmed order for 500 sets of tyres and Michelin were not interested. I've seen other forums where Michelin have stated they have no intention of remanufacturing the A59 and M59 16" tyres no matter how many orders are placed.
Dave

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think you are correct as to the lack of availability. I found two brand new sets about 18 months ago and put one on and have the other in storage. The alternative sizes suggested should work as I have a friend who went that route on his DB1. Good luck, it is a sweet riding bike one of my favorites. Dave

·
Registered
338 Posts
Storing tires

Given there is a problem with getting hold of some tire sizes, is it possible to store tires and if so how does one keep them so they stay new?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Store in black plastic bags in a cool area like basement. They may still get hard but it'll take longer. Do not store in cold, I've had them crack when exposed to freezing temps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts