Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Sport 1000 with only 6800 km . The tyres still have plenty of tread but I have heard that as they are seven years old they will have lost some of their softness with a resultant reduction in grip and should be replaced . I would appreciate any advice from forum members. I am not a particularly hard rider but any significant reduction of grip / safety-margin does worry me .

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,556 Posts
Have a look on the side of the tyre, they have a manufactured date on them..it's a small oval with 4 numbers in it.
The first two represent the week of manufacture (01 to 52) and the second two the actual year.
They might be even older than you think they are.

·
7,733 Posts
I have a 2006 Sport 1000 with only 6800 km . The tyres still have plenty of tread but I have heard that as they are seven years old they will have lost some of their softness with a resultant reduction in grip and should be replaced . I would appreciate any advice from forum members. I am not a particularly hard rider but any significant reduction of grip / safety-margin does worry me .
As long as there are no obvious signs of damage or side wall cracking, you should be okay after using them for a bit. :)

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I replaced my seven-year-old Michelin PR2s because of age, which is in accordance with many recommendations: Unsafe Motorcycles: Motorcycle Tires: Age Matters

The Pirelli Angel ST have been a good replacement, although I might go back to Michelin next time. Be that as it may, it's cheaper to replace your tires than deal with the consequences of tire failure.

Just my 2¢.

Ron

·
Registered
32 Posts
I replaced my seven-year-old Michelin PR2s because of age, which is in accordance with many recommendations: Unsafe Motorcycles: Motorcycle Tires: Age Matters

The Pirelli Angel ST have been a good replacement, although I might go back to Michelin next time. Be that as it may, it's cheaper to replace your tires than deal with the consequences of tire failure.

Just my 2¢.

Ron
+1 good advice

·
Temporary greeter
23,089 Posts
I would think that with 6800 km on them they are about done anyway.

Treat yourself to a new set and the bike will feel like new again. Every time I have ever tried to stretch the life out of a set of tires I kick myself for not doing it sooner as the new ones feel so good.

Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Get new tires, our bikes parts are too expensive to risk even a goofy low speed incident. Our butts are worth too much to risk a high speed one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe that you got your money's worth out of your existing tires at 6800km.

Just my opinion, but I would recommend new tires.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciated

Thanks for the advice everybody. It looks like I will be getting new tyres now. It makes you wonder how many older bikes out there are being ridden around with old tyres that may not be up to handling an emergency braking or turning situation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would say to always replace the tires in pairs as well, even though only the rear tire is worn out.

·
Temporary greeter
23,089 Posts
Thanks for the advice everybody. It looks like I will be getting new tyres now. It makes you wonder how many older bikes out there are being ridden around with old tyres that may not be up to handling an emergency braking or turning situation.
Excellent choice!

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
just stumbled across this post. I just bought a 2006 Multi last week that had been sitting for a while. Before I rode it I changed all fluids, checked connections, adjusted the suspension... then I rode it. Tires looked great but felt like something Fred Flintstone would have used. Checked the code, tires were early '06. New PR3s will be here tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts