Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to top off the coolant overflow tank on my ST-3. What type of anti-freeze should I use, or does it matter?
Thanks, Jack.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Where do you live and are you subject to sub-freezing temps? If not, use Water Wetter and distilled H2O only. Mix 4 oz WW (1/3 bottle) into 1 gallon of water. If freezing a possible but temps never below mid 20's, try 30% propylene glycol/70% distilled H2O and 4 oz WW. If freezing is very common and temps drop into teens (F), use a 50/50 mix or if you don't mind blowing a few extra $$ to save from mixing just use Engine Ice or Silkolene Pro Cool, both are premixed 50/50 PG solutions w/WW added. If below zero is common in Winter months, I would definitely run a winter only 70/30 PG solution, no WW is needed. As soon as things thaw out and you're riding, drain coolant and run distilled H2O-WW solution mentioned above, till freezing temps once again loom at which time it's back to the Winter solution. Regardless of weather you use bike in Winter, be sure there is plenty of Anti-freeze in system, otherwise things like hoses and even H2O pumps will crack in a deep freeze condition.

The bike will run better and cooler using straight H2O-WW solution in warm summer weather. Take care.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you do not want to go the water wetter route. Buy the Honda motorcycle brand of anifreeze and mix it up. It comes in a small container and is silicate free. Some say silicate free is the way to go and others who have used the car antifreeze say it does not matter. I guess the silicates are like an abrasive to the water pump seals. I bought the Honda stuff because I did not need a large container sitting around and I did not need another issue to handle.

Dave Harhay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts