Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the OEM fuel cap on the 998 with a TWM unit that has a different vent setup. The vent hose won’t fit without kinking and causing the tank to pressurize. Can I just remove the little hose and let the tank vent without the hose going to the cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
without the vent hose attached if you fill the tank and park it on the side stand you will have fuel overflowing down the side of the tank---ask me how I know this lol

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t see how. The gasket that seals the cap is below the vent opening in the tank. If anything only air should be allowed in or out. Even if the tube is stuffed down the vent hole it’s not gonna keep gas from pouring out.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
my problem was on my 900ss--the vent hose was split-when I filled the tank completely fuel went into the vent on the cap and ran down the left side of the tank, this was on a stock cap. The seal that closes off the main fill hole was not leaking -the vent hole has no seal on it so the missing or split line would allow fuel to flow out

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,384 Posts
It could have been worst....
My 748 split it's vent hose that runs from the baseplate drain spigot to the tank well that surrounds the cap.
The tank completely drained onto my bike room floor.

Not any more, I removed that hose, blocked both holes and now the tank simply vents through the cap valve into atmosphere like a normal bike.
What were they thinking?

·
8,384 Posts
Replaced the OEM fuel cap on the 998 with a TWM unit that has a different vent setup. The vent hose won’t fit without kinking and causing the tank to pressurize. Can I just remove the little hose and let the tank vent without the hose going to the cap?

No that hose goes out straight through the bottom of the tank via the base plate.

Reactions: nlzmo400r

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No that hose goes out straight through the bottom of the tank via the base plate.

Duh. Why didn’t I think of this? Thank you. I’ll work on getting it in there without kinking somehow

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It could have been worst....
My 748 split it's vent hose that runs from the baseplate drain spigot to the tank well that surrounds the cap.
The tank completely drained onto my bike room floor.

Not any more, I removed that hose, blocked both holes and now the tank simply vents through the cap valve into atmosphere like a normal bike.
What were they thinking?

If it vents through the cap it’s possible for the fuel to spill out when very full and over bumps or hard braking or acceleration though.

·
8,384 Posts
Mine doesn't there is a small vent opening to prevent that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts