Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

a quick question... since i done my wheels and replace my front fork and top triple from ST3 to ST4 i find that my fuel gauge is twitchy..

i know that they sometimes are slow to react when filling up but now it also goes from full to empty to half full while being full. (didn't experience it the otherway around. showing full when empty..) could this be an electrical thing somewhere.. or should i dive into the tank and replace it?

it's only since the last few rides.

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
I had that happen once, then never again. Occasionally my fuel level won't reach the top after a fill-up. After the gas sloshes a bit (one or two minutes) it'll reach the full mark. It's the fuel sensor in the tank in my case...I would bet it's the same in yours.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ofcourse since i posted this topic.. things turned to "normal" but indeed.. it does take a while for the sensor to go to max after a refill, but that is kinda everytime though.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Check the "Big Connector" on the left front where the wire two harnesses connect. They fill with water and screw with the fuel gauge. The water gets into the back, you will not see it with a cursory glance.

t_bare

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've over-filled a couple times and had readings all over the place after and engine light comes on.After cycling through a tank or two it resets itself.Proably could do the same thing by disconnecting from battery for a min or two....

Reactions: spikey1973

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Hey guys,

a quick question... since i done my wheels and replace my front fork and top triple from ST3 to ST4 i find that my fuel gauge is twitchy..

i know that they sometimes are slow to react when filling up but now it also goes from full to empty to half full while being full. (didn't experience it the otherway around. showing full when empty..) could this be an electrical thing somewhere.. or should i dive into the tank and replace it?

it's only since the last few rides.
Last time I changed the fuel filter, I took the sender unit apart and cleaned all the electrical contacts with alcohol. I bent the little contacts that rub on the carbon tracks to make sure they rub with a little more force and they are both even.
Now may gage is much better - fluctuates less and is more accurate.

David

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As i have my st4 parts still lying around i took my fuel guage sensor from there and took it apart.

indeed look simpel to clean but it is a different part number. so better do the same for my st3 by the time i take it apart.
doubt it will be that much different.

Greatz Matt

·
Registered
235 Posts
Is there anyway to adjust the level to be more accurate? My low fuel light comes on with only about 120 miles ridden since fuel up. I don't even start looking for a gas station for another 60 miles. (sorry to highjack to thread).

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Is there anyway to adjust the level to be more accurate? My low fuel light comes on with only about 120 miles ridden since fuel up. I don't even start looking for a gas station for another 60 miles. (sorry to highjack to thread).
I believe the light comes on based on the gauge. Remove it from the tank, take it apart and clean all the contacts and sliders with alcohol or contact cleaner.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts