·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On tonight. 6/8/9 Excellent show

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree, Excellent show! The naration is a bit corney at times, but my only real regret about it is that I want more. I am bumed that soon I will have seen all of them. They are very well done and show an interesting history of the brands.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I've seen the big Jap 4, Ducati, Bimota, BMW & MV Agusta. Are there any more? Guzzi would be good but it seems they are more race oriented.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It was OK and they mostly talked about 916 and 1098. They mentioned HM but did not say anything about Desmo.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Only 8 versions, in reruns now. I wish they would have these on DVD. I did find a few errors though on BMW and Suzuki, wonder how many errors I missed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, Excellent show! The naration is a bit corney at times, but my only real regret about it is that I want more. I am bumed that soon I will have seen all of them. They are very well done and show an interesting history of the brands.
+1

·
Registered
367 Posts
Only 8 versions, in reruns now. I wish they would have these on DVD. I did find a few errors though on BMW and Suzuki, wonder how many errors I missed.
I wonder the same thing...big error in the Suzuki show was them prattling on about the new gs 750 four cylinder four stroke (a bike I owned brand new) while they show about a zillion shots of an old 750 gt water cooled three cylinder two stroke. Makes me wonder what else they got wrong. When the mainstream press (of which I am a member) makes an error with regard to motorbikes I can almost understand why...but this show has no excuse.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've got every episode of Twist the Throttle (in HD) on my DVR. I really want to edit out the commercials and post the whole series to bittorrent.

I really got to find a new TV tuner card for my computer. Had a card in my old PC, but running a Mac laptop now.

I'm pretty sure its every episode thats aired:
Ducati
Honda
Yamaha
Suzuki
Kawasaki
BMW
MV Agusta
Bimota/Alpinestars

·
Idiot Savant
1,187 Posts
Twist the throttle

How weird. I was watching the clips of this show on http://turbo.discovery.com/motorcycles/motorcycles.html last night and then log on today to see this thread.
It really is a cool show but I was bummed that they skipped the 996 and 998 and I don't think they mentioned the 999 either.
It went something like "The 916 created heaven and earth and the Ducati gods smiled. Then on the seventh day they created the 1098."
Um hello? 6 World SBK wins from '98 to '06 and they don't even rate a mention? :confused:

But despite my obvious discontent at that omission, it was still a pretty cool vid.
The bit about the US bombing the Duc factory in WWII was surprising. (I should read more, yes?)
The stuff on the website about riding the Ducs in Italy was pretty cool too. though it was more in line with a travel channel show than a motorcycle show. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
0 Posts
i've become a big fan of the show, all episodes on my dvr for sure. i do find it funny how every week whatever brand they are doing is the greatest brand alive...lol. other than that i love the show, reminds of when speed used to have quality motorcycle programming like 2 wheel tuesday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The guys at work were talking about it the other day and I was the only one who didnt see it... ended up going online and watching almost all of them...very interesting and informative....kinda felt like I was in social studies class watching on of those movies...lol...but i liked them...

·
Registered
263 Posts
How weird. I was watching the clips of this show on http://turbo.discovery.com/motorcycles/motorcycles.html last night and then log on today to see this thread.
It really is a cool show but I was bummed that they skipped the 996 and 998 and I don't think they mentioned the 999 either.
It went something like "The 916 created heaven and earth and the Ducati gods smiled. Then on the seventh day they created the 1098."
Um hello? 6 World SBK wins from '98 to '06 and they don't even rate a mention? :confused:
You must've went to the bathroom since the controversy about the 999 styling as well as its racing success was mentioned in the show...

As for the 955, 996, 998, etc... other than true Ducatisti no one really cares if the displacement of the engine was marginally altered. Mentioning every little change would make for a boring show to the general public.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good show but nothing about the D16 or MotoGP?!?!?! Also, they kind of pissed on the 749 / 999 as almost ruining the company. Not really the full story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I caught the one on the buffalo shot - overall I find them interesting from a historical point of view.

I would kill for one of those Ducati "puppies".

Hey CDONA - we played hard at Sedona's slide rock as kids in 1966 time frame, is it still as slippery and slimy as it was years ago?

·
Registered
127 Posts
EyeTV makes something perfect for your needs. They have two things available at apple stores, one is a simple USB dongle for around $99 and another for $149 or $189 or something, that is more for a desktop but has more features available.

Also, if your DVR has firewire, I read that if you just connect a FW cable between it and your mac you can rip it without a tuner card. Not sure of the full procedure or the software needed, I haven't tried it myself yet, just read about it somewhere. Of course you would need to have a mac that also has a FW connection, so I hope you didn't buy a unibody Macbook. Thankfully Apple has come back to their senses and is now providing FW on everything again.

I've got every episode of Twist the Throttle (in HD) on my DVR. I really want to edit out the commercials and post the whole series to bittorrent.

I really got to find a new TV tuner card for my computer. Had a card in my old PC, but running a Mac laptop now.

I'm pretty sure its every episode thats aired:
Ducati
Honda
Yamaha
Suzuki
Kawasaki
BMW
MV Agusta
Bimota/Alpinestars

·
Registered
164 Posts
I thought the Ducati episodes were very disjointed, bouncing all around from model to model and showing the same damn two people riding around the same curve on the same two bikes over and over again. Not much mention of racing or development.

Besides the Ducati, I've only seen the BMW episode, which I felt was pretty good. Very linear chronological presentation of models, lots of interesting footage and history. Their head designer seems like a real bore though (suit and tie with a collar pin, who wears those any more?). He didn't seem to have much enthusiasm for the bikes in general, more of a "corporate" dude. I read an article about him in one of the mags though and it said he's quite the demon on the road. I guess it just doesn't come through in an interview.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I read an article about him in one of the mags though and it said he's quite the demon on the road. I guess it just doesn't come through in an interview.
You must factor in the inspiration that a couple of 80 oz mugs of German high test can provide.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts