Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to adjust the rear suspension on the 01 ST4 I just brought home. Rebound damping was easy to adjust. Compression damping took a little more work. I removed the side case and loosened the rear fairing piece, then managed to get a narrow screwdriver in there to turn it.

But when I tried to use the pin wrench to turn the ring nut for spring preload, no luck. It seems like the entire shock, including the reservoir, wants to turn, instead of just the ring nut. The whole assembly rotates left or right maybe 1/4 inch, but then sticks.

Before I bring out the blowtorch and C4, is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks,

ape

·
Registered
54 Posts
The quarter turn slop is normal. Put some lubricant on the nut and let it sit for an hour or so, then try to break it loose. Some other things to try:

Slip the end of the wrench into a flattened piece of 12" long pipe (or conduit) to make a "cheater" extension

Use a brass drift and a hammer

Do not use Pliers or try to turn the nut with a steel screwdriver! You will make a mess of things

Once you get it started it should move, but it will be stiff. Watch the pin wrench alignment, keep it parallel to the nut...it will want to slip and ruin the paint on your frame (or finger). I usually pad the frame with a rag and some tape first

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
This alone makes the Ohlins a worthwhile upgrade- the remote pre-load is very nice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've never even seen the right tool for this job.... I used a hammer and screwdriver.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
klindsey,

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to use a hammer and a screwdriver. Nothing else has budged this thing. I covered the screwdriver with some leather so I don't destroy the adjuster and gave it a couple of whacks. Moved a bit more, but not sure whether I want to remove the shock before going further.

Tom,

I'm also thinking about your suggestion to remove the shock. Anything I should know before I go there? The service manual pretends it's as simple as undoing a few bolts. Do I need to suspend the rear of the bike from the ceiling, or hold it up with a block of wood? What do you do?

Thanks,

ape

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many turns of the ring nut?

You know what worked like a charm? A metal punch that I was using to hammer the spring loose, but without the hammer. I'd covered the punch with a bit of leather so it wouldn't damage the ring nut, but then I realized it fit into each opening perfectly, so I just popped it in and turned. It was the perfect handle.

That was fun for a while, but now I'm not sure whether something else is wrong. Anybody know how many settings the nut has on an 01 ST4?

It seems like the spring re-sets each time I turn the nut one entire revolution. I just get a loud bang, and everything kinda jumps around a bit. Not sure I'm having any effect on the pre-load.

If you have a clue, I'd be much obliged.

ape

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I'm an idiot.

So I put on my glasses and took a closer look. Sure enough, the ring nut on the rear spring only has 6 or 7 settings and then returns to 0. When you turn the nut it presses against the top of the spring to compress it. Simple.

So now I know how to use that thing.

ape

1 - 8 of 8 Posts