Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, let's look at this another way.

When going to the track with your 2005-2006 999s how do you turn off the headlight?

If you pull the fuse for the headlight the ignition will not turn on, so where can the headlight be turned off from.

Reason I'm asking is that the head light on my 2006 999s is off, and the last time it was used was a track day.

I've checked all harnesses, fuse block has power to it, yet the headlight (low-beam) has no power, the high beam when also when switch on has no power.
There is no head-light power going to the left-hand switch, except the momentary high beam flash.

Power goes into the main harness, yet does not make its way back to headlight or left side switch assy. The harness has not been messed with.

800 original miles.

Everything else works great, all of the other electrical works as normal.

Thanks much in advance
Mark

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Why not just disconnect the lamp. Its only a 2 minute job under the front of the nose

·
Registered
601 Posts
Weird. on my 749d and 749s pulling the fuse has worked perfectly and allowed the ignition to function normally. Wonder what they changed from 749 to 999 as far as the ignition goes. IIRC I just pull out the fuse that is farthest torwards the back of the bike out. (the easiest to get to)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Power goes into the main harness, yet does not make its way back to headlight or left side switch assy. The harness has not been messed with.

get a voltmeter and check for current. work from the light bulb backwards.
when you find current you'll know that the problem is between this part and the last part you checked.
it could be as simple as a broken wire; meaning broken inside but the plastic casing outside still looks 100% perfect.

good luck

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This bike had a new speed-o set up with an original ECU, programmed to match, and the start up menu states that it is the "US" program.

This problem has something to do with the new speed-o or the programing of it, as power gets lost somewhere in the main harness.

I'm starting think there is a program issue.

I hate to go to the dealer.......................!!

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
857 Posts
Weird. on my 749d and 749s pulling the fuse has worked perfectly and allowed the ignition to function normally. Wonder what they changed from 749 to 999 as far as the ignition goes. IIRC I just pull out the fuse that is farthest torwards the back of the bike out. (the easiest to get to)
+1

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Pulling the headlight fuse on my 05 999s will disable the bike from starting. I am talking about the fuse box between the headlight mount and fairing. There are 4 fuses, a,b,c,d a: is hi/low beam b: is stop light. Pull one (either) or both and bike no startie

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found out last night that there is a little $12.00 relay for the headlights up inside the headlight bucket, that when bad does the same thing as my bike is doing presently. Another Ducati MS member had the same thing happen and was fixed with a relay on his 2005 999.

Worth a try! Everything else works perfect....

Thanks all, thought a relay could trigger this situation. It shows in the wiring diagram, crazed!!

Mark

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pulling the headlight fuse on my 05 999s will disable the bike from starting. I am talking about the fuse box between the headlight mount and fairing. There are 4 fuses, a,b,c,d a: is hi/low beam b: is stop light. Pull one (either) or both and bike no startie
Not normal. My 05 999 still starts when I pull the headlight fuse. I do this all the time for track days.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are right, I was mistaken on which fuse controlled the headlight.

What many do not seem to know is that there is a small headlight relay up front that controls power to the headlight/s.

It's shown in the wiring diagram, at least for the 2005/06 models.

Yet very few of them have ever gone out...........At least on the superbikes..

$6.79 @ my Ducati shop, and 4 in stock, wow!!! something that is actually in stock at a Ducati shop, if they're keeping 4 in stock they must be used on other models.....And they must burn out...

Thanks all!!
Mark

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*Yeah* I have lights!!!

All 2005-06 models have a 1/2" x 1" (little tiny) relay inside the headlight bucket, and is called "relay" according to my dealer. It was in stock, infact my dealer had 5 of them in stock, very unusual to have anything in stock.

It controls normal power to the high and low beams........

When have I every made such a large FIX to any of my Ducati's for $7.00,,,,,,,,never.

You are right, I was mistaken on which fuse controlled the headlight.

What many do not seem to know is that there is a small headlight relay up front that controls power to the headlight/s.

It's shown in the wiring diagram, at least for the 2005/06 models.

Yet very few of them have ever gone out...........At least on the superbikes..

$6.79 @ my Ducati shop, and 4 in stock, wow!!! something that is actually in stock at a Ducati shop, if they're keeping 4 in stock they must be used on other models.....And they must burn out...

Thanks all!!
Mark

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Jeez that is really bothering me now. So your just pulling the fuse on head light bucket ? Not putting in dummy fuse or anything , leaving the fuse slot empty ?

Not normal. My 05 999 still starts when I pull the headlight fuse. I do this all the time for track days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
worked for my 2004 999 as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts