Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 900SS CR

Reinstalled the motor, hooked everything up. Turned on the key, dash lights up, push the starter button and it turns over. Quit for the night, thinking, tomorrow I will fill it with oil, gas, and fire it up.

In the morning, put in the oil and gas, turned the key, and nothing. No lights, no fuel pump whirr, not even a click.

Fuses in the box are good, main fuse is good, battery is good. With the ign. switch on, tugging on the wiring connections to see if solid, and tugged on the wire to the fuel pump and the dash lights came on and the fuel pump whirred. But before I could start it, the lights went out.

So I tried the tug on the fuel pump wire again (tugging on the motorcycle side of the connection) and found that with the key on this would cause the dash to light up, etc. However, if I would hit the starter button, it would die and lights out. I repeated this for a while, but then it would not respond to the fuel pump wire tug any more. Turn the key, no lights, no click, no nothing.

Haynes and internet research suggest the main relay is faulty, when you lose power to all systems. They instruct to turn on the key, to put a 12V test on the 85 pin (red'white wire) on the relay to make sure there is power to the relay. And if it has power and doesn't click, replace the relay. Tested, with the key "on", the 85 pin lights up. No click.

I have no clue as to why the tugging on the fuel pump wire would sometimes activate everything. Or why pushing the starter button would cause it to crash. Maybe this intermittent effect was a quirk in the weakened and failing relay?

Am I likely to find this relay at the dealer? I have looked on line and haven't found one. Appears to have been made in Italy in 1996. MP (manufacturer?) Type 28, B047.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,190 Posts
86 pin is the ground connection for the coil portion of that relay Bob. Verify that you have good shiny ass clean ground connections and that all fuses and electrical connectors for the starting circuit are bright shiny clean and plugged in tightly.
Having all the power in the world on the 85 pin won't do you a bit of good if you don't have a good clean solid ground connection to complete the circuit.

Tugging on electrical wiring and things start magically working usually indicates poor,loose,or corroded wiring connections or frayed or shorted wiring. Make sure that the battery is fully charged as well because there has to be at least a solid steady 12 volts or more on that 85 pin when you turn the key switch on to energize the coil in that main relay.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stosh, I will go back and check everything again.

I did find the Ducati part No. for that relay. Indicates no longer available. Bought a used one on E-Bay and also a new one that purports to be a replacement. Maybe between double chacking all grounds and connections, and another relay, it will work.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I use a product when I am doing electrical work on all motorcycles, I clean the connector then apply a thin coat of this --No-Ox-ID A Special, just a thin coat and the thing I like about this is that it will no longer oxidize or rust, I use it on every electrical connection even on the contacts of bulbs. Short of having a wire or connector break you issues are over.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I use a product like that too. I usually tell people to use wd40 though, because most people have it lying around.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes but WD40 only lasts for a short period of time, where as this No Ox Id basically lasts forever -I have bikes I did 20 years ago and if I take a connection/ plug apart it is still there & zero corrosion. So I swear by this stuff--a pint tin of it is around $30.00 and that will last most people the rest of their life -The tin I am using right now I have had for 4 years and still have not put a dent in it--and I use it in a full time motorcycle shop

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GROUND WIRE. Well, that was easier than I expected. Started by checking the ground wires, as per Stosh"s suggestion. The one from the battery to the frame on the left side was improperly connected. With the alligator clip on the nut connecting it to the frame, would not light up the test lamp. Corrected that, and turned on the key, and everything lit up. Would turn over without shutting down. Turned on the gas, a squirt of starter fluid into the carbs, and vroom! "It's alive, IT'S ALIVE!" (Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein).

As far as the anti-corrosion stuff, I am used to working on salt water boats. I got used to spraying on anti-corrosion stuff on every electrical connection within reach when I would get into the engine or the electronics. I have been using Corrosion Block for many years. That habit has carried over to working on bikes when I started that a few years ago.

Thank you all for the help.

I guess I have a couple of relays on the way, lol.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I just got this 8oz tube in from Amazon..it's a lifetime supply for me!
If it's an electrical connection of any kind on your bike a thin coat will mean you never touch it again

·
Registered
635 Posts
I picked it up too, bunch of vintage Jags in my driveway will use it all up quick enough,...
Nice I had 5 E types many years ago

1 - 14 of 14 Posts