Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys, I've got one for you. I removed my stock hand guards and turn signals to mount some Zeta bars and different mirrors.
I wanted to have front turn signals and I wanted them to look like they belonged on the bike so I bought a pair of stock rear turnsignals and madeup a bracket that goes under the H/B mount and holds the turn signals just below bar height. It looks perfect.
Before I mounted the front turn signals, the rear ones worked ok and the dash light did as well, although they did flash faster than stock.
With the new front turn signals plugged in nothing works. The front, rear and dash lights don't come on at all. If I unplug the fronts, the rears and dash work again.
If the stardard setting for the computer is for bulb, I figured that I'd be ok without changing anything.......?
Ok, who knows what to try next, I'm stumpted.

Thanks,

Woodchuck

·
Registered
730 Posts
now i don't claim to be an expert but, the front are leds stock, drawing very little amperage which the bike is precisely set up for, now you're trying to run bulbs up front with a much greater power need. i think front replacement would have to be a led. they do make a led replacement to replace standards bulb that are accepted by the same socket. this might be a route to take.

most sizes available on ebay

·
Registered
121 Posts
Woodchuck,

I am a bit confused which rear turn signals you have actually installed.

Anyway, its all a matter of power consumption.

Stock rear (bulb) signals consume 10W.
Stock front (LED) siganls consume 3.11W.
Each turn signal has it's own wire into the blackbox of the dash board.

If you install signals with lower power consumption as of above, you need to install a resistor for each signal in parallel.

If you install signals with higher power consumption, you need to "steal" extra power to make the signal work.

I assume that you have the original stock rear (10W) signals and the same in the front (10W):

for the rear signals
--------------------
leave all as it is.

for the front signals:
----------------------
that thing cosumes P=10W and have a current of I=0.74 Ampere at U=13.5 V (P=UxI)

you need one resistor (56 ohm) between bulb (minus side) and blackbox
I = P / U = 3.11 / 13.5 = 0.23A
R = U / I = 13.5 / 0.23 = 58 Ohm
next best available is 56 Ohm, purchase 15W / 56 Ohm
=> I = U / R = 13.5 / 56 = 0.24 A
=> P = U x I = 13.5 * 0.24 = 3.24 W

you need a second resistor 33 ohm between bulb (minus side) and minus pole (take the frame)
I = 0.74 - 0.24 = 0.50A
R = 13.5 / 0.50 = 27 Ohm
purchase 15W / 27 Ohm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Figure this one out?? Disconnected my rear directionals to install new plate holder etc. Plugged directionals back in and now they are exactly opposite as to the handlebar switch. Rears plugged in one way the fronts and rears are
wrong. Rears plugged in the other way, rears are right and fronts are still wrong. Somehow fronts changed although I never touched them or the bar switch. Still scratching my head on that one. Looked at the wiring diagram and it appears impossible with out messing with switch etc. but it happened. Luckily Ive got the 600 mile check-up coming up. Hopefully they can figure it out??:think:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey all, I pick up my Hyper from storage this weekend so just to double check I called Pj's @ Pjsparts.com and asked how many resisters do I use? it comes with two if you didnt know. and said I wanted to put them up front. The polite gentleman on the other end said you wont need the resisters, only the black box for both front or rear. Ok cool I said. But the problem with the Hyper he explained is that the front turn signal connection doesnt have enough juice to turn it on because it uses very low voltage compared to the rear blinkers. He said you would need to piggyback/share the rear turn signal wires. if you get a high flash rate and have a epileptic seizure use one of the supplied resisters then. Good enough. it took them a while also to figure out why their front signals were'nt working. FYI

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your advice; I'm going to try and find Led bulbs to go into the front turnsignals as that make perfect sense and sounds very straigt forward.
Hopefully that will work as I'm a little leery about trying to splice resisters into the wiring harnes on my new bike. I understand electrics pretty well, but electronics are another whole bag......!

Thanks again,

Woodchuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts