Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 98 Ducati 748 and the bike had no turn signal front or rear. I bought aftermarket halogen signals and attempted to wire them into the front and rear turn signal leads without success. When I connect the front it sound like a clicking coming front the flasher relay, however with the rear there is nothing and neither front or rear illuminate. The PO installed LED rear break light and LED break light around license plate bracket. Brake lights work as they should. I am attempting to figure out if it could be the switch, relay, wiring, etc. I have attached images and any input would be appreciated. Don't care about LEDs, fine with going back to OEM if needed, just want to be safe on the road. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Some, likely most, of the LED tail lights had integrated turn signals. PO may have wired it to work. If any of the directional light wires are connected to the tail light, disconnect them. Also the LED turn signals normally need a resistor in line to provide enough of a load for the normal flasher relay to work. If your bike has them, and you're not going to use LEDs, remove the resistors. Not sure halogens are compatible, never heard of anyone using them for directional lights. I imagine they could work, but the directional relay needs a specific load to work properly. It flashes faster if one bulb is out because there is less of a load, for example. I don't know what the load is of the halogens you're using, but I doubt it is that same as the normal incandescent the standard flasher is meant for. Worse, there are flasher relays meant to operate at the normal flash rate with LED (low load) lights. If you have one of those, then I can't guess what might happen with halogens connected. If you want to get it working, I think I'd start with a standard set of OEM sized incandescent bulbs. Disconnect anything not OEM (clean slate), make sure you have the correct wires identified and get it working.

I have a 916 and use an LED tail light. It does have the turn signals integrated, but I do not have them wired. I use the OEM stocks mounted in the original locations (no tidy tail or anything like that) with standard incandescent bulbs. No issues. I did try to use OEM fitment LED bulbs in the OEM stocks. I got it working, but it took the special LED rated flasher and you loose the dash indicator. Also, they seemed bright in my garage but others were telling me they were hard to see in the daylight. Probably just crap bulbs for the brightness. Went back to regular bulbs. They work fine.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not an electrical expert, but you said halogen indicators.

My guess is they are earwig too much current to allow the flasher unit to work properly.

Usually LED's, with their low current draw sometime do not pull enough.

Do you know if the OEM flasher unit is still good?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had the OE signals, but the PO made them disappear. I am going to see if I can run down some on eBay. If I can find any OE do you guys know of some that are comparable with same size stalks in aftermarket? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
The OEM stuff is pretty easy to get on eBay. They are not very expensive from the dealer at around $25.00 each.

Same lamp is used for 916 series, rear of the ST and the last generation SS.

Gotham has them new.
https://www.gothamcycles.com/Lighting.html

There is a left and right. The difference is the little drain hole. If you put one on the wrong side, the drain whole is facing up. Two different part numbers. Left rear is the same as the right front, left front same as right rear.

They mount a little odd. Smaller sized screw is offset from the wire. Most aftermarket have the one larger bolt with the wire running through the center of the bolt. You can get them to fit, but it involves drilling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found some aftermarket non-halogen, non-LED short stalk signals. I hooked them up front and rear and they work perfectly. You guys were right about the amount of draw from the signals. I really appreciate the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts