Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, likely a dumb question, but I just recently got a 2001 SS 750, and while I've worked on cars before, I haven't worked on bikes. Oddly, the right turn signal always works, but the left signal only works sometimes. Most of the time, the switch moves to the left, and feels like it's canceling normally, but no light. It has worked sometimes, so probably not the bulb, and it seems like a fuse would be dead or not, too. Maybe a physical issue in the switch, and if so, what's the best way to open one of these up?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Very carefully... I would first spray contact cleaner in there and work the switch around to see if it helps. I would then check all the connections with a volt-ohm meter and wiring diagram to ensure that you are getting power to the flasher etc. If all is good and you believe it really is the switch, you can remove the switch block from the bike and disassemble it. I did this on a left handlebar switch block if I remember correctly on my '92. Be very careful as some of the switches have springs and balls that will go flying out never to be seen again if they are released without proper containment. Most of the switches can be disassembled and the contacts cleaned with an emery cloth

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
What specey said...
Been there once and once only with my Daughter's ZXR250C.

Ended up dismantling a mini relay to get the spring, then stretch it so it would act in compression.

I now do the final dismantle of boingy things inside a clear plastic bag.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Be sure to test the switch to verify it is truly the switch before taking it apart. I have seen more than a few switch gear show up at my shop in a bag all apart for me to re-assemble. Most of the time it was NOT the switch but something more simple like a flasher relay , bulb or disconnected wire. Take the switch apart last, test the circuit to find out where the problem is first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all, wanted to say thanks for the advice. A very liberal application of electronic parts cleaner and some more monkeying around with the switch fixed it! Glad to not have to screw around with a bunch of trapped springs and similar when I didn't have to.

Reactions: Punch
1 - 6 of 6 Posts