Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my turn signal mounts randomly snapped and fell off back in June. Replaced that but I noticed today that all *three* of my other turn signals are showing cracking with one in particular ready to fall off.

The bike only has 7000 miles and has always been stored indoors. I realize these bikes are coming up on 10+ years old but jeez. Hard to believe I will have spent $200 on stock turn signals ($50 a piece) even if I think the stockers look the best.

Anyone else been having issues or solutions? Particularly a much cheaper mount option. :confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
The growing use of plastic is a big rant of mine for motorcycles, particularly Ducati lines. It's been a penchant active action for me replace all the plastic on my beloved SC. I'd suggest you change to billet turn signals. Thos OEM plastic stalks are CRAP! There are good billet options out there which look like the OEM bullet turn sigs or mini cafe billet turn sigs I found. Check out JC's Posh (?) billet turn sigs, for example.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
What a pain! I guess that will happen to all our bikes as time goes by. What sort of weather do you get there? Very hot summers and very cold winters?

·
Registered
779 Posts
That piece doesn't look very complex. Perhaps a local machinist could make you a pair out of billet aluminum. Or DIY with a hacksaw (or band saw), drill press, files and belt sander. Powder coat black. Problem solved. Permanently. Search the early posts here by Dietrich and his magic drill press to see cool little parts that he hand made.

6,048 Posts
Signals take a lot of abuse and most have no idea why they are cracking or coming off. Most of the time it gets bumped and slowly starts to break You can get then new from Ducati for $50 which is cheaper then anything else out there for turns or troll eBay and they come up often for even cheaper
The alternative costs more and would last longer.
Custom brackets will cost alot more because labor cost are more then materials now.

One of my turn signal mounts randomly snapped and fell off back in June. Replaced that but I noticed today that all *three* of my other turn signals are showing cracking with one in particular ready to fall off.

The bike only has 7000 miles and has always been stored indoors. I realize these bikes are coming up on 10+ years old but jeez. Hard to believe I will have spent $200 on stock turn signals ($50 a piece) even if I think the stockers look the best.

Anyone else been having issues or solutions? Particularly a much cheaper mount option. :confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts

I also have my stock ones still laying around if want them. $100 for all 4 work? let me know and I will do my best to pull them out of the abyss known as my storage.

6,048 Posts
Another solution is
the Blaze Pin

Set up for our bikes

·
Registered
71 Posts
As he was asking for a cheaper option I did'nt mention it
But I have the watsens for sale
I have a couple of black ones in stock
Whoops missed that cheaper bit, but at $260 for a set of fronts and rears it is not much different in terms of cost up front. The biggest savings though, IMO, is having a safer motorcycle and signals that will not need to be replaced again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good discussion! Well I actually bit the bullet and ordered some new signals last night. Nice to see that there are some options out there for folk's reference in the future. I haven't seen much on cracking signals on the forums.

What a pain! I guess that will happen to all our bikes as time goes by. What sort of weather do you get there? Very hot summers and very cold winters?
I moved up to Minnesota a year ago where that is indeed the case. Otherwise the bike has been stored indoors in Texas as a garage queen collecting 400 miles in 9 years. I have put on the other 6500 in the past two seasons hah. So it is a bit of a mystery. :confused:

I just removed the spacer block to move the signals closer to the bike and out of harm's way.
You're just talking about the front spacers? Would be kind of nice if I could remove the cracking mounts all together.

Just buy these, Universal_SP
They clean up the lines of the bike tremendously and are much more visible during use both day and night. Honestly some of the best money i have spent on the bike.
Those do look nice! But I'm trying to keep a relatively stock look for this bike. So not too many LEDs and such for me :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good discussion! Well I actually bit the bullet and ordered some new signals last night. Nice to see that there are some options out there for folk's reference in the future. I haven't seen much on cracking signals on the forums.
a quick note if you are storing the bike with a cover on it that is what is causing the cracking of the mount. The cover caused it on my S1000rr which led to Watsens for that bike as well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
One of my turn signal mounts randomly snapped and fell off back in June. Replaced that but I noticed today that all three of my other turn signals are showing cracking with one in particular ready to fall off.

Mine are cracking as well, does anyone here know if someone makes 3D printed stocks?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts