Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After istalling Competition Werkes tail kit, which requires splicing into turn signal wires, the turn signals light up but they are extremely dim.

It also seems that they are delayed, in a way that i press the switch and they dont start flashing right away but are delayed by a second or two..

Any ideas? Hope what i wrote makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
148 Posts
If they're LED, they're probably a bit low on their resistance. You might either need some resistors or new flasher relays

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If they're LED, they're probably a bit low on their resistance. You might either need some resistors or new flasher relays
No, they are a regular filament bulbs. Besides, if they were led's and resistance was low, they would just hyperflash but not go dim...like the voltage was low...

Also SF doesn't have a flasher relay, doesn't it?

I am suspecting that t-taps that came with kit for rear flashers are shite or i made a bad connection...

Everything else, headlight, license plate light, dash, etc. are nice and bright and the battery is reading a gealthy 13.5v on the dash.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not sure cos I'm new to SF.
I bought a CW undertail tidy for my old ZX6R and the LED turn signals were dim, slow to flash, and would only flash if the engine was running. The problem was low resistance and the fixes were either resistors or new flasher units.
How does your kit wire up?

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure cos I'm new to SF.
I bought a CW undertail tidy for my old ZX6R and the LED turn signals were dim, slow to flash, and would only flash if the engine was running. The problem was low resistance and the fixes were either resistors or new flasher units.
How does your kit wire up?
True, leds would do all kinds of weird thing with electronic flashers, especially on vehicles with the canbus... But here i got regular filament bulbs.

It wires up to bike' s wire loom using t-taps. I am also thinking i may have reversed polarity on license plate light, which could be drawing energy away.. Dont know...

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the tail kit have LED plate lights?
Yes. But the originai is also LED.

I figured it out. To troubleshoot I disconnected the kit lights and plugged the stock ones back in. Everything went straight back to normal. The f*cking t-paps, just as i thought, were creating a good enough connection. So tomorrow i'll get some posi-taps and use them to wire the lights in or just solder the f*ckers into the loom .

Cheers and thanks for your suggestions and discussion!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I had this exact problem wiring the turn signals with the competition werkes kit. I didn't use the connectors to connect the wires, all my connections were soldered. Turns out the bulbs included with the kit were a higher amperage than the stock bulbs, which caused the delay and the dim blinks. I went to autozone and found some amber bulbs that fit into the housing included with the comp kit that were lower amperage and same voltage and this solved the problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes. But the originai is also LED.

I figured it out. To troubleshoot I disconnected the kit lights and plugged the stock ones back in. Everything went straight back to normal. The f*cking t-paps, just as i thought, were creating a good enough connection. So tomorrow i'll get some posi-taps and use them to wire the lights in or just solder the f*ckers into the loom .

Cheers and thanks for your suggestions and discussion!!

Always good to bounce ideas around :)

Hey, I had this exact problem wiring the turn signals with the competition werkes kit. I didn't use the connectors to connect the wires, all my connections were soldered. Turns out the bulbs included with the kit were a higher amperage than the stock bulbs, which caused the delay and the dim blinks. I went to autozone and found some amber bulbs that fit into the housing included with the comp kit that were lower amperage and same voltage and this solved the problem.
Sounds like this could be the go

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, wow..do you recall by any chance which bulbs you got?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh, wow..do you recall by any chance which bulbs you got?

sorry, I don't remember. As I'm sure you know, the whole tail section has to be removed to get to those bulbs. What I did was bring one of the bulbs that came with the competition werkes kit and one of the stock bulbs to autozone, and I just found the bulbs that had the same base as the competition bulbs and the same amperage as the stock bulbs. Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts