Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,841 Posts
You may as well cut it up, the tricolour geometry isn't the best anyway......
View attachment 979817
Really nice build.

I've got the one piece carbon corse airbox but yours looks really nice--definitely bigger. Although the standard-style inlets are smaller (and making 90 degree turns) vs the corse intakes. Also, with the shower injectors are you running some sort of intake filters or just saying "Fuck it. When it goes, it goes."? ***Ah, just saw that you're running tho open-front tank.

Are those stick coils? What was involved in the swap? I don't know if they give better spark, but it's definitely cleaner not having to mount the coils to the frame. Looks like you did a whole loom from scratch too, and a really professional job of it.

Rodericb, I don't want to derail this thread, but if you're interested in additional details of an 851/888 build you can get them here: The wheel that got things rolling. (An 851 story)

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,841 Posts
Oh, I forgot the other question: Obviously the Tricolore had the 16" wheels and the triple clamp offset could have been different, but I'm not aware of any geometry changes to the frame itself. What did they change?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Oh, I forgot the other question: Obviously the Tricolore had the 16" wheels and the triple clamp offset could have been different, but I'm not aware of any geometry changes to the frame itself. What did they change?
The head angle, rake and trail were all different for the 16" wheels on the Strada, the Kit (which had 17" wheels) was much closer to what the rest of the 851's had.
Many assumed it was just the 16" wheels but once converted to 17" they still handled weird. i've never ridden a tricolour, but all the early reviews say the same thing and there are a couple of articles that compare the 16" tricolour to the 17" red bikes and they all say the same.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Really nice build.

I've got the one piece carbon corse airbox but yours looks really nice--definitely bigger. Although the standard-style inlets are smaller (and making 90 degree turns) vs the corse intakes. Also, with the shower injectors are you running some sort of intake filters or just saying "Fuck it. When it goes, it goes."? ***Ah, just saw that you're running tho open-front tank.

Are those stick coils? What was involved in the swap? I don't know if they give better spark, but it's definitely cleaner not having to mount the coils to the frame. Looks like you did a whole loom from scratch too, and a really professional job of it.

Rodericb, I don't want to derail this thread, but if you're interested in additional details of an 851/888 build you can get them here: The wheel that got things rolling. (An 851 story)
Cheers,
It's a massive airbox, uses the underside of the tank as it's lid, this pic doesn't show it but there's a large cutout at the front for additional air, i was stuck with the smaller side inlets at the start but once i'd completed it i didn't think they were enough.
I use a 748R style filter on it which fits pretty good.
Yep, stick coils, from an S4R mainly to gain more room for the box, i had to clearance the bottom of the tank very slightly to clear it on the V cyl but that's it.
The loom is a full custom job to suit the Motec M400 ECU with anything not needed deleted, like the fan power and switch plugs which i deleted.

IMG_0235.jpeg IMG_0802.jpeg IMG_0807.jpeg
IMG_0235.jpeg
IMG_0802.jpeg
IMG_0807.jpeg

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,841 Posts
Yeah, that airbox is a thing of beauty. Did you make the mold yourself?

I wanted to keep things more standard when it came to wiring, but the Microtec ECU is completely plug and play.

Now...about painting those 9050 fork bottoms black and the heads red...

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
i've only ridden 1 tricolore strada with the 16 inch wheels and it was weird. like really odd. hard to describe, but just plain strange. about two corners into a suburban road test i thought "well, don't need to buy one of these now".

i've got (well, used to have) a monster with paso 16" wheels in it and it rides pretty normal.

from memory the tri kit frames had the front subframe mounting plate with 4 holes welded to the steering head, whereas the strada has two round bosses. easy way to tell them apart. there's not a shortage of those frames either, gowie had a few. cut it up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah, that airbox is a thing of beauty. Did you make the mold yourself?

I wanted to keep things more standard when it came to wiring, but the Microtec ECU is completely plug and play.

Now...about painting those 9050 fork bottoms black and the heads red...
Hey, it's mine. I make no excuses for having exceptional taste..... the fork bottoms aren't painted, they're hard anodised, once the swingarm was anodised black and the frame repainted mica black the fork bottoms stuck out like a sore thumb.....the heads were completely apart for work so i decided to....

Yes, i made the mold, started with a core flute cut up and taped together with race tap to get the basic shape, took a few goes, then i made a splash mold over that with chop strand and then made a plug of that.

Once i sanded the plug smooth and ensured proper fitment i took it to a Carbon fibre guy that builds gear for everything from the RedBull supercar team to some way out time attack cars, he made the vacuum formed airbox you see and (thankfully) cut all the holes for me as well.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As I was trawling through Ebay for old monster swingarms I was thinking of your catchy thread title, instead - as I've got absolutely no parts for what I'm thinking of doing - mine would be a case of the swingarm that got things swingin'....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes, i made the mold, started with a core flute cut up and taped together with race tap to get the basic shape, took a few goes, then i made a splash mold over that with chop strand and then made a plug of that.
Do you

The head angle, rake and trail were all different for the 16" wheels on the Strada, the Kit (which had 17" wheels) was much closer to what the rest of the 851's had.
Many assumed it was just the 16" wheels but once converted to 17" they still handled weird. i've never ridden a tricolour, but all the early reviews say the same thing and there are a couple of articles that compare the 16" tricolour to the 17" red bikes and they all say the same.
You would need to alter the front ride height and offset to cater for a seventeen inch wheel yeah? The first fireblades had a sixteen inch wheel, but it ran an aspect ratio on the tyre to give it the circumference of a seventeen inch. I have a feeling that the NR750 might have too.... The sixteen inch wheels were a 1980's thing to give quicker and easier steering albeit at the expense of stability. Aussies on here might remember the Sixty Minutes investigation of the GSX1100EFE, with its widow-making sixteen inch front wheel and resultant tankslappers. Then we get to WSB where they were running 16.5's for a few years.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just noticed you've put some extra danglies onto the frame to replicate the later swingarm mounting points - is that to avert stress from the rear wheel going through the engine cases?
It is to mount the swingarm, as there is no bearings in the sbk engine.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
It is to mount the swingarm, as there is no bearings in the sbk engine.
On a slightly related note, a friend has a Bimota DB8 and it has the swingarm pivoting straight off the cases. I don't know if the bearings are in the engine cases or the swingarm itself.

Edit: I found some pictures of a DB7 swingarm - the bearings are in the swingarm....

·
Registered
325 Posts
On a slightly related note, a friend has a Bimota DB8 and it has the swingarm pivoting straight off the cases. I don't know if the bearings are in the engine cases or the swingarm itself.

Edit: I found some pictures of a DB7 swingarm - the bearings are in the swingarm....

I am sure they have big brackets bolted onto the engine cases, that support the swingarm

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If anyone is interested, the Monster S4RS has a testastretta engine with the bearings in the crankcase.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts