Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok let me begin my story. I own a 2000 Ducati 750ss. Recently while doing a track day at Road America, my transmission locked up in a false neutral between first and second. It happened while I was coming into the paddock. I tried my damnedest to free it on the spot. I yanked on the shift lever and even resorted to hitting it with a hammer where it comes out of the case to no avail.

At any rate, I was going to tear it down and fix what I presumed to be a bent shift fork, but then found a decent deal on a used 900 motor so I bought it. I have since freed the transmission, so that was an unnecessary purchase that will arrive early next week. At any rate, since I can’t send it back, I am going to swap motors.

While I’m at it, I am going to turbo charge this new to me 900 with low levels of boost say around 5-6psi. Although this idea was my own, I discovered Catilovers bike and was inspired. I am certain I can fabricate all of the pipe and necessary hardware including the sealed air box or plenum as it is called, as I have much experience with this sort of thing, but tuning fuel injected motors is new to me. This is where I need help and have many questions.

So, after I get my turbo installed, oil lines routed, yadda yadda yadda, and the bike is ready to run, what else do I need to do? I’ll list what I’m thinking, and hopefully you all can point me in the right direction. I’d especially appreciate some help from those who have done their own tuning.

1.) Install O2 sensor and A/F meter to monitor the A/F ratio. Now, if my stock injectors are not giving the bike enough fuel and I need to richen the map, how do I do this? Is there some kind of device I can plug into the ecu and coordinate with my laptop? Seriously I know nothing about this. If I accomplish this and it is still lean I know I will need larger injectors which I am once again confident I can physically install.

2.) So, say I get the A/F ratio correct, with the low levels of boost I will be running, I do not need to mess with the timing correct?

3.) If I am running the bike at the correct A/F ratio, and I keep an eye on my temp gage, I should be set to ride correct? Or am I oversimplifying things completely?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Here is some light reading for you but may not answer any questions.

Has a little more than your planned lower boost and is a dedicated drag bike but the last I heard was they had 215 hp at the rear wheel. They have retired the bike now and I think they are building a 4 valve - possibly a 1098.

http://www.ducatibunbury.com.au/SuperSportTurbo.tpl

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Has this died, both as a bike and a thread?

Either way it was very interesting.

More please!

·
Registered
836 Posts
nice to see i inspired someone :D

my setup consists of a rising rate fuel regulator and fuel pressure gauge, the o2 sensors in each front pipe, i have a switch to change pipes and monitor each cylinder or you could run 2 gauges....

other than that EVERYTHING ELSE IS STOCK INTERNALLY AND INJECTION WISE!!!!! and it ran fine, never leaned out as the rising rate regulator helped with that issue and the injectors were fine. always check your plugs when tuning as they will give you a good reading of what is happening inside the motor.

i was running 6lb on my bike for awhile and even took it to 10lb on the stock motor. still went great :)

i made my own pipe work and plenium for mine and was not running an intercooler either, they arnt nessercary under around 10lb boost.

i took the oil feed from the pressure switch with a T piece and on the left side casing i drilled and tapped a hole to fit the return pipe into :)

remember that at lower RPM with the small intake setup it will alway run rich too as the intake piping is very restrictive, my turbo kicked in around 5500/6000 rpm and was perfect for street use as it was still very torquey down low to pull away with out boost and when it did spool up in 2nd or 3rd it was easy to ride and keep the front down :)

you will gain around 30ish hp from 6lb boost too. not bad for $500 nzd is it!!! thats all it cost me to build it, including the regulator and turbo!

if you wanted to get the front up you could do that easily but im more into going fast :p i like my steering head to not crack on these things haha

heres a link of it running with the turbo. first ride on the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ljHrDx5m-w

1 - 5 of 5 Posts