Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

321 - 340 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
ive just come back from a 3 hour tuning ride on the front cylinder. To say im disappointed is an understatement.

Cells were populating no problem and in general the table was lean (lots of reds). Strange as the rear cylinder was mostly rich after the first capture. So corrected the table, saved and flashed the ECU. The bike was totally unrideable, I mean there was flats spots at certain throttle position, surging, popping you name it. I persevered with several more attempts and a couple of ACS/TPS resets to no avail. Alas I had no choice but to load the V6_6e base tune. Reset throttle again and the bike is pretty good again. On the ride home the table showed the mapping to be rich, however the bike felt smooth and very rideable.

Ive invested a lot of time, money, effort and patience into this bike and i think im not going to get it any better without the assistance of a professional tuner with a dyno. So its now getting left the way it is until i run it into the ground. For sure its a lot better than pre-tuneboy upgrade and im thankful for that. So if your going to attempt some on-road tuning i would say its a bit of a hit and miss, leave it to the pro's with a dyno if you have one available. Im satisfied with the V6 tune base table, its not perfect at slow speeds under 2,500rpm but hey ho. Take it above that rpm and it has grunt everywhere and is smooth powering through corners. The search for perfection has unfortunately failed and so ends this epic battle.

To make the situation worse I had a ride on a KTM 1190R, big mistake

Good luck with tuning your Multi.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
ive just come back from a 3 hour tuning ride on the front cylinder. To say im disappointed is an understatement.

Cells were populating no problem and in general the table was lean (lots of reds). Strange as the rear cylinder was mostly rich after the first capture. So corrected the table, saved and flashed the ECU. The bike was totally unrideable, I mean there was flats spots at certain throttle position, surging, popping you name it. I persevered with several more attempts and a couple of ACS/TPS resets to no avail. Alas I had no choice but to load the V6_6e base tune. Reset throttle again and the bike is pretty good again. On the ride home the table showed the mapping to be rich, however the bike felt smooth and very rideable.

Ive invested a lot of time, money, effort and patience into this bike and i think im not going to get it any better without the assistance of a professional tuner with a dyno. So its now getting left the way it is until i run it into the ground. For sure its a lot better than pre-tuneboy upgrade and im thankful for that. So if your going to attempt some on-road tuning i would say its a bit of a hit and miss, leave it to the pro's with a dyno if you have one available. Im satisfied with the V6 tune base table, its not perfect at slow speeds under 2,500rpm but hey ho. Take it above that rpm and it has grunt everywhere and is smooth powering through corners. The search for perfection has unfortunately failed and so ends this epic battle.

To make the situation worse I had a ride on a KTM 1190R, big mistake

Good luck with tuning your Multi.
Damn Johnny, I fully sympathize with you, as you know I'm having a continuous battle as well, trying to road-tune the MTS and ending up every time with a bucking and unrideable bike, just like you described above. I've reverted to the stock Tuneboy .dat file without trim as well. I haven't given up completely though, still hoping that maybe someone else could get a better tune for a stock MTS 2011 and share it here.
Right now, even with the Cruise and Tune .dat file the bike is jerking in every gear up till about 3,500-4,000 rpm when holding a steady throttle, at small throttle openings AND when cruise control is engaged. Cruise control is only usable in 6th with speeds over say 80 km/h. So I'm not really excited yet, to say the least....
I actually recently did a road test of the KTM 1290 Super Adventure, comparing it to the new DVT (I'm a freelance motorcycle journalist, so I do get to ride and compare quite some bikes... Article in Dutch here:Test: Ducati Multistrada 1200 S versus KTM 1290 Super Adventure - Motorfreaks) and this KTM is demonstrating how a big sporty twin should run from the factory indeed. The new DVT had weird throttle response and unexpected behaviour...
Anyway, long story short: I still hope that some new map or other update will fix the shitty running. Because the MTS is still making my heart race! :wink2:
Take care mate!

·
Registered
110 Posts
What A/F ratio did you use? Maybe the problem is with the target value?

·
Registered
26 Posts
What A/F ratio did you use? Maybe the problem is with the target value?
I used 14.7, as per Wayne's instructions (I believe in another topic) for road tuning, using the stock O2 sensors. I don't have the widebands and don't want to spend any more money on this either. Since V6, you should be able to auto-tune with the stock O2 sensors.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Interesting... Is a v6 stable version coming any soon?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes there is - I downloaded and installed it with a zero'ed map last night and the bike runs well.
Loaded my previous V4 tune and it was pretty rich. Made for some big flames on quickshift.
Going to TB for a tune tomorrow :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can see only beta version on the site

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its stable for me!
Overall stable yes, but as said I'm questioning the auto tuning feature using stock O2 sensors. The A/F seems to bounce everywhere and there's no way to get the bike running anywhere near the 14.7 ratio, which is needed as a first step for auto tuning wit the etc sensors. Still haven't heard from anyone who's succeeded with this...
Also cruise control is jerky in all gears except 6th, but this is the same for me with any version of the software...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T700 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
While the ECU might be capable of performing self tune, narrow band O2 sensors switch from rich to lean signal so fast it would be difficult for any adjustment to be made. In my experience with dynos, the engine must be held at the intersection of load and speed and the software given sufficient time to make the changes.

If you watch any of TB's autotune vids the dyno ramp rate is slow enough for the ECU to react... even then it takes several runs to get it bang on the money. Trying this on the street with narrowband sensors - its going to be difficult for the ECU to catch the value before it passes. Not to mention the safety issue riding around watching a screen.

Having said this, the problem may be related to the symptoms you've seen during cruise control operation.
Best bet is to drop the cash and have a professional tune it. A wrecked engine or a crash isnt worth the savings

·
Registered
26 Posts
While the ECU might be capable of performing self tune, narrow band O2 sensors switch from rich to lean signal so fast it would be difficult for any adjustment to be made. In my experience with dynos, the engine must be held at the intersection of load and speed and the software given sufficient time to make the changes.

If you watch any of TB's autotune vids the dyno ramp rate is slow enough for the ECU to react... even then it takes several runs to get it bang on the money. Trying this on the street with narrowband sensors - its going to be difficult for the ECU to catch the value before it passes. Not to mention the safety issue riding around watching a screen.

Having said this, the problem may be related to the symptoms you've seen during cruise control operation.
Best bet is to drop the cash and have a professional tune it. A wrecked engine or a crash isnt worth the savings
Thanks for this contribution, well appreciated. Interesting thought as well, and I can agree to what you say. But I still wonder: How come that other people who are using the same non-dyno'ed ECU map (+trim) apparently don't have this on-off injection behaviour with cruise control engaged? Or maybe I'm just too picky?

Problem in finding a tuner is that here in the Netherlands generally they don't know Tuneboy and/or plainly refuse to tune it because they sell Power Commanders etc. instead. I've asked several in my area already...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was using 2 non-dyno maps in my bike (MIVV no cat no db killer and standard map) without any issues. I have a Leovince decat pipe with a custom gixxer muffler and modded airbox so the tunes are far from perfect for this setup but they seemed close enough. Cruise control has dropped out a handful of times (disengaged cruise without touching anything) but its worked perfectly 99% of the time.

If you were to put bike on a dyno and engage cruise control, you could monitor injector duty cycle, throttle position and any other input/output when the fault occurs, helping you narrow down the cause of the issue.

Its a shame your local tuners are stuck on power commanders - the tuneboy software is way more sophisticated and functional. Your would think that they would be keen to learn from the experience of using different software and putting another feather in their cap - plus it shouldn't matter if they're tuning a ECU or a guitar... money is money!

Keep searching - I hope you can find a confident tuner!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was using 2 non-dyno maps in my bike (MIVV no cat no db killer and standard map) without any issues. I have a Leovince decat pipe with a custom gixxer muffler and modded airbox so the tunes are far from perfect for this setup but they seemed close enough. Cruise control has dropped out a handful of times (disengaged cruise without touching anything) but its worked perfectly 99% of the time.

If you were to put bike on a dyno and engage cruise control, you could monitor injector duty cycle, throttle position and any other input/output when the fault occurs, helping you narrow down the cause of the issue.

Its a shame your local tuners are stuck on power commanders - the tuneboy software is way more sophisticated and functional. Your would think that they would be keen to learn from the experience of using different software and putting another feather in their cap - plus it shouldn't matter if they're tuning a ECU or a guitar... money is money!

Keep searching - I hope you can find a confident tuner!
The MiVV map you are using... is it the one that comes preloaded in the "TB trim files" folder named "MTS1200_2013_MIVV.trm"?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Got my 2013 back from 48,000km service and dyno tune this morning. They loaded V6 tune and apparently the quickshifter has an auto learning capability now. Quickshifter is certainly smoother than before (was using the settings from nemesis.ie).

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Int

Double post, see below

·
Registered
110 Posts
Int

Interesting... What does it mean "auto learning capability"? I'll explain myself better: how can the quick shift diagnose itself?

Is there an ETA for the final V6 (no beta)? Really excited to give it a try :smile2:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Interesting... What does it mean "auto learning capability"? I'll explain myself better: how can the quick shift diagnose itself?
Well I'm not sure the guy at the shop was explaining it very well, but apparently it can monitor the revs when you change gears so it can auto tune the kill and blip times to match.

You can download the trim file here if you are interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qodxz0iwl1ldhh8/MTS1200_2013-Speedys-Dyno-Tuned-V6-Quickshifter-NudgeButtons.TRM?dl=0

I tested out the Launch Control too. Set the revs for 4000rpm initially, maxed out the hold time at 255 and the sweep rate was at ~1100 which I didn't touch. I didn't hold full throttle when I tested it, just getting a feel for what it's going to do and I'll tweak it from there. Honestly I doubt I'll use it much anyway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
321 - 340 of 367 Posts