Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 367 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I figured I’ld start a new thread here relating to tuning with the Tuneboy program. The Factory cruise control thread is monster long and goes way back before there even was a cruise control. And it relates mostly to the Cruise Control function. My thought here is to capture information and issues about tuning and using the LC1 data logging ect. If Admin or Moderators think it’s wrong they have the super duper delete button… And since I need help I'll start, (I’m actually pretty selfish). :D

I already have a cruise-tune map loaded without a trim file and all is working fine there. Now I have tried to connect the LC1 and begin data logging. Now somewhere I have screwed up. Hopefully one of you can see my mistake and point me right.

The WB01 box is connected and I am using the USB connection to the laptop. I connected the LC1 O2 sensor to the front cylinder and the bikes wiring harness. When the bike is powered up I get 2 blinks from the LED, so I’m assuming that part is ok as that means the heating circuit is active. Not sure what to do with the analog ports from the LC1. Again I assumed they are not needed when connected to the bikes harness. (I did try to connect one as well, but no luck). Per the instructions I started the TuneboyTrim program and the first time it asked for the password, all still good. Upon turning on the bike it says reading ECU. All still good. However, I get no AFR readings or RPM etc. So somehow it is pulling down the ECU flash but the real time information from the engine running is not being fed into the laptop. Any ideas where I have screwed the pooch????:confused::confused: I know I must be overlooking something simple. Could be the Compari and Vino :eek:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I havent used the LC1 with Tuneboy, BUT i used an LC1 to tune an EVO IX, and my laptop was running vista. I had to get an old style cable as the USB connectors wouldnt work with vista. Some compatibility issue. I believe it was a RS232 cable??????? radio shack had it, and after that i was able to log real time to my laptop from the LC1.

·
Registered
805 Posts
TiDuc,
nice work on starting this thread!

Have you opened up the target screen and selected the front afr and sensor type ?
( and de-selected the rear afr too )

I dint know what the default settings are for these...

·
Registered
805 Posts
ahh.. just tried the software startuo a couple of times...
seems the default settings are AFR front and rear both selected and sensor type is generic 5v.

So .. after starting tueboytrim, choose View, Target and deselct AF rear, and select LC1 as O2 sensor type.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Assuming one connects the LC1 to the bike Lambda sensor plug in (as recommended), is there any purpose to the analog cables?

Is an air calibration still necessary? What about the LED, is that a necessity?

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the help,

Wit, I did bring up the Graph and disable the rear sensor and mine defaults to the LC1 sensor, so was good there. I also checked the config screen and made sure the Nudge buttons were turned off. I still was not getting anywhere. So I decided the change the map from the Cruise-Tune map to the newest map Wayne posted MTS1200 Tune-Tune.dat just to eliminate as many variables as possible. (Silly thing, took 4 tries with the USB cable before it finally completed the flash) :) So with the new map I noticed the LED was now much brighter than before, Strange? :confused: Anyway, I was able to connect again and opened the Trim program. Now it was reading AFR and throttle position, so working!!! Yeah :yeah: ...... But then it quit working after about 1 minute…:mad:…gggrrrr. I was able to restart everything again and again with the same result, It reads the ECU then it’s reading real time info for less than 1 minute. Then everything just freezes like it no longer has a connection to the ECU???

One thing I have noticed is in the instructions, it says I will get a prompt after the map is read asking if I want to replace data. I never get this prompt. I see on the bottom of the screen,” Reading map from the ECU” then “Map Read Complete” And the trim program is showing data for about 1 minute. So I think I am getting closer to figuring out what I have done wrong. At least I can connect and read info real time for a few moments.

Gilles, I think your right and It must not need the analog wires connected since it does appear to get signal through the bikes harness, (at least for a minute). I believe those and the LED are only needed if I did not have the LC1 already prewired. The LED I am referring to above that flashes is one that is built into the LC1 connector. It appears Wayne prewired everything when you purchase as a kit and save the trouble of doing all that and it includes the LED.
Very good question about the calibration though, is it still needed?

Fastrob691, I’m running Win7 and since it was reading the ECU map, I’m assuming it’s not the USB in this case. The kit does include a serial cable if I need to go that route.

I can say, I am getting much more comfortable and confident using the programs and connecting to the bike now, so there’s a bright side, I’m learning more as I work through this.:)

Ok guys, any more ideas with the information above? :think:

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
T....

One thing I have noticed is in the instructions, it says I will get a prompt after the map is read asking if I want to replace data. I never get this prompt. I see on the bottom of the screen,” Reading map from the ECU” then “Map Read Complete” And the trim program is showing data for about 1 minute. So I think I am getting closer to figuring out what I have done wrong. At least I can connect and read info real time for a few moments.

Ok guys, any more ideas with the information above? :think:
TiDuc:

I understand that when the Trim program reads the ECU, and the same trim map gets read as the one already in the pc, then there's no prompt.

You only get prompted when you have a different/new trim map to potentially update your ECU.

I don't know about why it reads for only a minute or so...

I am tempted to start working on this again.

G

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm having the same trouble here. I thought the O2 sensor went bad, so i bought another and had the same problem.
I went back and forth with tuneboy trying to find the problem to no avail.
I'm thinking the LC1 maybe bad, but I have not gone any further to verify it.
Ironically Innovate (makers of the LC1) is down the street from me, so I guess I could run by and have them check it.

I have a sneeky suspition there is a software issue, I receive readings from the rear sensor (stock), but only receive readings for a few moments in the front before it reads 19.9 or goes blank. Using windows 8.

All other aspects of the product work great, I am just having difficulties using the AUTO tune feature.

Great Idea to start a thread... Maybe a sticky?

·
Registered
66 Posts
TiDuc:

I understand that when the Trim program reads the ECU, and the same trim map gets read as the one already in the pc, then there's no prompt.

You only get prompted when you have a different/new trim map to potentially update your ECU.

I don't know about why it reads for only a minute or so...

I am tempted to start working on this again.

G
^^^This is my understanding

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Well, I went down and attempted to install the wideband sensor onto the rear cylinder. This will not be easy!

The adaptor bung can't be screwed into the place of the Lambda sensor without taking the exhaust apart....

unless I can find a smaller 0 bend adaptor to use. Has any body successfully installed this on the rear?

Installed on the front, and just used a bunch of zip ties to temporarily secure the LC1 to the frame while I go log some data. Yet to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Went to go log some data. All seemed to work. Started up bike, and did the 'start log' and saved log file as per instructions. Put the PC (connected via USB) into a backpack and went for a spin.

Got home, (PC still running on its battery) closed the Trim program (supposed to save the log file).

Went to process log file, and is non-existent. F***

I'll have to try it again on a shorter spin. I hate computers and their detailed protocol.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Gave logging another go, and this time it worked...

Not sure how practical data logging on the roads is. From riding out of Copenhagen into the countryside, full of Sunday drivers, I wasn't able to get a lot of samples (see attached).

With all the traffic, lots of throttle changes going slow thus an apparent richness. Currently using a full Termi trim map with a MiVV GP shorty decat with db killer.

Not planning on updating the trims yet...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I went down and attempted to install the wideband sensor onto the rear cylinder. This will not be easy!

The adaptor bung can't be screwed into the place of the Lambda sensor without taking the exhaust apart....

unless I can find a smaller 0 bend adaptor to use. Has any body successfully installed this on the rear?

Installed on the front, and just used a bunch of zip ties to temporarily secure the LC1 to the frame while I go log some data. Yet to give it a try.
Glad you got inspired and are working on this too, especially since you are having better luck than me... I remembered this post http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-2010-current-2nd-generation-watercooled/135380-size-o2-sensors.html#post1338528 from awhile back and it has some bung adapters that are 45 degree. Maybe those will work? I welded in bungs on my stock pipes for Dynojet auto tune facing the right side of the bike. I did the same for my Ti pipes too. Removing the rear head pipe is a Sumbitch! :eek: and even worse to get back on...Leave plenty of time to get that thing on and off. :(

So since you did manage to get the data logging to work, what about when you are not data logging. Does your screen keep real-time information?... Mine just seems to lose it's connection in less than a minute. Maybe I'll just start data logging and see what happens? I guess time to fire an email off to Tuneboy and see if they have a suggestion.

Gilles, at least yours in working so that's very encouraging to me.......Xrash your harshing my mellow, I was really looking for a duh easy fix :) …… but at least I'm not the only one with this problem.....I just wish I knew what I've done wrong.

And I see your bolth right about why I am not being prompted, since I do not have a differnt map....Another interesting observation, (no idea if it means anything) Xrash yours read 19.9 when it dies, so does mine, and Gilles datalog showes 19.9 too???? :think:

BTW: I'm still loving the Tuneboy, Cruise, and what it has the potential to do, I just wish I was better up to the task.

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
I sent TB a note about this thread, so with luck Wayne will drop in with some ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
, what about when you are not data logging. Does your screen keep real-time information?... ...

And I see your bolth right about why I am not being prompted, since I do not have a differnt map....Another interesting observation, (no idea if it means anything) Xrash yours read 19.9 when it dies, so does mine, and Gilles datalog showes 19.9 too???? :think:

BTW: I'm still loving the Tuneboy, Cruise, and what it has the potential to do, I just wish I was better up to the task.
I'm pretty sure Tuneboy can use this thread for the benefit of its customers. I am happy with the product. Learning it however is more work than play.

Mine died at 19.9 after about 30 minutes of logging, and it seemed to be due to my computer. Next time I want to try just using the WiFi (rather than leaving the USB plugged in).

I'm leaving the LC-1 strapped on for awhile yet to continue logging and trim my (full Termi) trimmed map for the front cylinder.

A feature that I like about data logging and then processing ('Tools'>'Process Log File') is that you can replay the data logging by checking the 'Process in Real Time' option. This takes quite a bit of time, but it visualizes for you exactly what the program is trying to do in sampling the exhaust data.

If you don't check the option, then the log file will be processed much quicker and you can choose to update your trim map by just saving the file.

That rear cylinder will be a real project...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I will try to answer as many questions as I can.

1. When logging you should always connect using WiFi. Connecting the USB cable between the PC and the bike allows the electrical noise from the bike to upset the USB port.
Flashing the ECU should always be done via USB, this is because the WiFi introduces delays that can cause the flash to stop in the middle.

2. The new maps have been changed to power up the O2 port as soon as the bike is turned on, the old tunes only did this when the bike was started. Make sure you do not have the selection in the config that tells the ECU you have the LED for cruise control, if this is selected the O2 sensors will not work correctly.

3. Download the latest Trim and flash programs from
http://www.tuneboy.com.au/FlashAndTrimUpdate.zip

4. The two cables coming out of the LC-1 are the serial in and serial out, if you want to do the free air calibration you should do the following.
Plug the little terminator into the "IN" plug.
Connect the "OUT" to the "Serial In" on the WiFi box.
Turn the bike ignition on (LED on LC1 should come on if you have new maps).
Plug the WB-01 into the bike, it is important that it is not powered until the LC-1 has powered on.
Start the new TuneBoyTrim program, you should see a message at the bottom of the screen saying "LC-1 OK", this indicates that the LC-1 data is getting to the PC via the WB-01.
Go to the "Options" menu and select "LC-1 free air calibration", wait 20 seconds and you will see a message on the bottom of the screen saying that it is doing the calibration, the sensor must be out of the exhaust when you do this.

5. If you connect the LC-1 to the WB-01 as outlined in step 4 you will also see the A/F values when you bring up the target screen.
The A/F value will be duplicated if you only have one LC-1 fitted, this allows you to select which cylinder the LC-1 is seeing (Remove tick from rear A/F if you have it connected to the front).
Connecting this way is good if you are unsure that the LC-1 is working as it will show any errors with the LC-1 on the bottom of the screen.

The old maps relied on a request/reply exchange to get data from the ECU, this limited the frequency of the data to about 10 hz.
The new tune files have some extra CAN messages that can simply be recorded without needing a request.
These messages are sent out at 50 hz. This will allow much more data to be recorded.

I am working on the iPhone code for recording and displaying data.
It will be much easier to collect valid data if you can see the throttle position on the iPhone screen.

If any of you guys/gals have iPhone 4,4S or 5 and would like to have a play please PM me. I can add a few phones to my dev profile with Apple to allow a test program to be loaded on the phone.
Please only PM me if you are actively trying to tune the bike.

I will add a link over the next day or so that will allow viewing of the log files and a new stand alone logging program that will record the 50hz data.

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
Thanks Wayne. I'd be up for doing some android testing, is there a specific adapter I should buy to enable the Android Wifi to connect to the WB-01 (I recall you saying that it needs an Ad Hoc connection which Android does not support)?

Edit: Additionally, there seems to be some apps/OS commands to enable AdHoc. I'll have a play and see if I can see the WB-01 in a couple of weeks when time allows.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wayne was right. My problem was simple. I connected using WIFI instead of the USB cable and the bike ran while reading real time data info without problem for +30 minutes. Perfect :) Started raining and I was clear coating a new windshield and tail tidy, so I could not test the data logging on the road. :(
So the moral of the story is:

1. When loading maps use USB connection.
2. When data logging use the WIFI connection.

Xrash if you have not tried it yet, switch to WIFI when using the LC1.

Thanks Wayne!

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if I can find a smaller adaptor bung that is straight (rather than bent), the job of getting the rear cylinder logged will be easier.

edit: How do you adjust the target values on the target A/F map?

1 - 20 of 367 Posts