Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to read the map on my motorcycle today but using tuneecu (android, non-bluetooth).

I connected the unit, read the map (nothing more) and started it up. I got a CEL, bobbing idle, and the temp guage is blinking. I turned it off, reconnected the TuneECU and started it up again while TuneECU was on. Idle fine, no CEL, and temp guage functioned properly. I turned the bike off, disconnected TuneECU and started it up again. The CEL, bobbing idle, and the temp guage started blinking again. So it seems as if the bike only functions properly if the TuneECU is connected.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
268 Posts
We talked on PM last night, looks like the ECU ground has been fried and having the cable connected provides the ground which is why it works with TuneECU connected. He will test grounding the plug to see if it fixes it and hopefully report back here.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
If the ground is fried in the ECU, the simple (aka cheap) method is to connect the centre pin of the 3 pin diagnostic port/connector with a wire/cable direct to battery negative.
That provides a new ground/earth path/connection for the ECU to battery negative.

Works well usually and no need to splash out on a new ECU.

Most usually due to incorrectly wiring the battery as in reverse polarity or maybe reversing a power connection to an adapter when you want to use software/apps like TuneECU and others.

You are not the first and you will not be the last!

Electrical stuff is like the carpentry rule, where the latter is measure twice and cut once.
The former is check twice and connect once.

Reactions: forsythem

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the ground is fried in the ECU, the simple (aka cheap) method is to connect the centre pin of the 3 pin diagnostic port/connector with a wire/cable direct to battery negative.
That provides a new ground/earth path/connection for the ECU to battery negative.

Works well usually and no need to splash out on a new ECU.

Most usually due to incorrectly wiring the battery as in reverse polarity or maybe reversing a power connection to an adapter when you want to use software/apps like TuneECU and others.

You are not the first and you will not be the last!

Electrical stuff is like the carpentry rule, where the latter is measure twice and cut once.
The former is check twice and connect once.
This is what roadkillrob suggested in PM. I will look up the best way to do this. I've also read on the forums that this should not be a permanent fix as the 18 guage ground connection via the diagnostic port is too small to provide an adequate ground to the ECU and its components. I also read that the ECU uses some reading from the ground (voltage??) to determine some output. I'm not sure if this will have any effect, but I thought it might be worth mentioning some of these things I've read on forums.

I've also reached out to David at Redline who said that he has ECUs and can program and ship to me. I get anxiety thinking about what it will cost though. Expensive lesson on Electronics 101!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Like I said in my PM but for anyone else who has this issue, you can pickup ECU's pretty cheap and it doesn't specifically need to be for the SF 848, just any Ducati ECU that is a IAW 5AM HW610 which was used on pretty much all 848, 1098, 1198 (these seem to be cheap on ebay) and a lot of other stuff. Here is a good list of all the 5AM ECU's (lots of other bikes use them also). http://docplayer.net/20781196-Motorcycle-brand-model-ecu-ecm-master-list.html

If you pay much more than $150 for one you paid too much as they are on ebay all the time in the 120-150 range including shipping. Once you have it you can just flash on any SF 848 map with guzzi diag, tuneecu etc and you should be good to go. People all the time try to sell them for $500 or more especially if they came with the performance kit, but there is no difference except software on all these that are the same 5am hw610 models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts