Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an update on my comments regarding the experimental work Tuneboy is doing on my Ducati Streetfighter S.

Tuneboy dropped my bike off at my home tonight. A quick trip around the block quickly demonstrated an improvement right where it's needed.
They now have good data to create an improved map for the standard exhaust system.

The Tuneboy website is being overhauled so you can expect info there soon. Don't be surprised not to see Ducati listed as one of the supported brands.
Tuneboy offer a mechanism to alter the map of your existing ECU. There is no additional hardware added to your bike.

The TuneEdit programme allows you to:

• Backup ECU contents
  • Read the current tune from the bike;
  • Download the factory tunes to the bikes ECU;
  • Download third party tunes;
  • Modify the current tune in the ECU;
  • Make changes, small or large, to the fuel and ignition tables;
  • Change the ECU controlled rev limit;
  • Change thermo fan turn on/off point;
  • Apply Power Commander trim maps over the standard tune;
  • Use the DynoJet Tuning link software to remap ECU;
  • Get real time information from the ECU as the bike is running.
You can even change the welcome message on the screen when you turn your bike on.

Tuneboy have turned off the O2 sensors and opened the exhaust flap. The standard map for my bike has been altered. Down low the original map was set to run the bike really lean. Tuneboy have cleaned up the E3 emissions settings to allow the bike to run smoothly at small throttle openings. I can now easily use the throttle to match the flow of heavy traffic rather than having to continually exercise the clutch. In short, it now rides like you expected it to when you handed over that big roll of cash. As per the OEM map, there are still different maps for front and rear cylinders and none of the other settings, like DTC, have been lost.

Dyno graphs were taken for the bike but I don't have them yet. I'll share more info as I get it including details of how you can get access to the same treatment that my bike has received.
It's made the bike easy to live around town and it remains fantastic on open roads.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
hope this pans out...in the near future...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Can we 'Bill' Ducati for Tuneboys charges ??:confused:

As I would have hoped that the £14k I handed over to my dealer would cover Ducati to get it right in the first instance.!!:mad:

Or maybe it was a clever sales ploy to get me and you to buy the Termis ?:eek:
Here's the Map from my SFS with the Termis on .didn't have it done prior so no comparison available.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In the Mix

interesting hedetrimmer; you can see that even with the Termi system the AFR is way too lean in the low RPM range.
Could still use some dialing to get it right! :mad:
This is the map in the new'race' ECU supplied by Ducati with the kit.
As the line is ABOVE the medion at low revs,doesn't that indicate a higher fuel injection?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Tuneboy, has been used with great success on Triumphs, then later Aprilia for many years.
I am very excited that Wayne is now working on the Ducatis!

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is the map in the new'race' ECU supplied by Ducati with the kit.
As the line is ABOVE the medion at low revs,doesn't that indicate a higher fuel injection?
number is parts of air to fuel. Hence the name a/f ratio. The higher the number the more lean the condition.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is VERY lean in the low RPM's. I believe the EPA requires an AFR of 13.8.
The dyno is showing well above that.
Ken

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,232 Posts
Amazingly, the current exchange rate of the other units for sale ($499 AU) is equal to about $433 US.

I'd jump on that like... (insert catchy phrase here)!!!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Holy SHIT - this changes everything. Tuneboy is an AMAZING product. I use it on my Triumph as well as customers Triumph. Great software.

My 675 has a custom big bore kit (726cc), head work, exhaust, etc... and I fully mapped it with the tuneboy no problem.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I'm in...if they come up with a decent tune for a stock SF, for a reasonable price...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've used Tuneboy as well, on a Speed Triple. OUTSTANDING. The only word for it. You could literally change every single variable in the ECU. Very powerfull tool. I want one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 08 S3 with Arrows slip ons runs very good, at least I think it does. Anything above 2000 rpm is smooth. How would a TuneBoy help for non-track use? Would I find the lean and rich spots and make changes?

I've used Tuneboy as well, on a Speed Triple. OUTSTANDING. The only word for it. You could literally change every single variable in the ECU. Very powerfull tool. I want one.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,232 Posts
I sent an email to the fine folks at Tuneboy...
Here is the response.....

Hi Bill,
Thankyou for your enthusiastic email :)
We don't yet have an ETA for* the release of the Ducati software.* We all hope it wont be too much longer.* It all seems to be working well so far but there is still a bit to do before it is ready for retailing.
We will email you when we are a little closer.*
Please don't hesitate to drop us a line if you haven't heard back and your wondering how we are going.
Kind regards,
Emma Macdonald
Sales and Administration
www.tuneboy.com.au

Also just got an email from Comp Systems.
They are still working on things, but "another product" they are working on is delaying the Nemesis release for the SF. Here is that reply....

Bill
I have to tell you that this project is taking a back seat in favour of some other products we are bring to market quite soon, one of which is designed for your bike.
Sorry I can't say more at the moment.
Mick Boasman
Competition Systems Ltd – UK

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 08 S3 with Arrows slip ons runs very good, at least I think it does. Anything above 2000 rpm is smooth. How would a TuneBoy help for non-track use? Would I find the lean and rich spots and make changes?
You can literally change every fuel value at 20 throttle positions (if I remember right, may be more) every 25rpm, for each cylinder. You can also play with the ignition timing (each cylinder,every 25rpm). On my old speedy, I wound up fattening it up on bottom, and advancing the ignition 3 degrees up top. I also fixed the speedo error, and removed all the emissions stuff using tuneboy. You could also do stuff like reset your TPS, clear check engine lights, read the codes that made it come on in the first place, and MANY MANY other things. It is a VERY powerfull tool for Triumphs, and if you don't know what you're doing, you could very well ruin your bike.

As far as your bike with slip on's goes: if all you changed was the exhaust, you might notice a fair improvement by visiting your dealer and getting the TOR (Triumph Off Road) map installed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks! The dealer did put in a map that went along with my blocked SAI. Smooth idling and not as lean on decel.

The TuneBoy for the SF puts the bike back in my must-have list!

You can literally change every fuel value at 20 throttle positions (if I remember right, may be more) every 25rpm, for each cylinder. You can also play with the ignition timing (each cylinder,every 25rpm). On my old speedy, I wound up fattening it up on bottom, and advancing the ignition 3 degrees up top. I also fixed the speedo error, and removed all the emissions stuff using tuneboy. You could also do stuff like reset your TPS, clear check engine lights, read the codes that made it come on in the first place, and MANY MANY other things. It is a VERY powerfull tool for Triumphs, and if you don't know what you're doing, you could very well ruin your bike.

As far as your bike with slip on's goes: if all you changed was the exhaust, you might notice a fair improvement by visiting your dealer and getting the TOR (Triumph Off Road) map installed.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts