Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '13 1200 S Touring with a full Termi exhaust. I have downloaded the Tuneboy trim files but none of them seem to make it run right. I still get surging around 4k rpm and a lot of sputtering on decel. I have looked into having someone do a dyno tune but I can't find anyone who works with Tuneboy in my area. Does anyone have some trim files they might want to share that would work?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s Touring
7 Posts
If you bought it from Tuneboy, you should have been given access to a list of files with names appropriate to what application you need for the flash. That said....their support is very lacking (understated). It's been a while since I flashed my 2011.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 3 different trim files loaded and change them occasionally but I can't really see a difference. If I bring it to a dyno shop, they need some way of changing the trim file. Most want to use a piggyback unit like Power Commander to change the fuel maps which I didn't want to do.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do you have cruise nudge buttons and/or a quick shifter installed? If so, your O2 sensors are disabled, and without a wideband O2 setup, you're running on basically default partial throttle maps. I say default, because almost no tuners touch the partial throttle maps when they do a dyno tune; most people are after the numbers on a chart, and partial throttle tuning is considerably more resources intensive; if your tuner isn't charging 500+ dollars for a tune, it's almost certainly an open loop (wide open throttle) only map.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have the nudge buttons installed. There was a Tuneboy dyno shop about an hour and a half from me but he stopped working with Tuneboy. He said it was too difficult finding a computer that would run the program. I told him, it was working on my laptop if he wanted to use it. He said he'd do it but it was going to cost me $750 to do the dyno tune. I thought that was a lot of money for a couple hours work, even with the use of his dyno. He said he would rather use a PC V module.

·
Registered
280 Posts
$750 is not unreasonable to do a partial throttle tune (some shops will call this a drive/rideability tune). It's not an exaggeration to say a shop can spend an entire day working on a single tune, if they're working on the partial throttle tables.

Even if they're willing to do it, it's not always worth it. Fact is those tables are intended to be default values that are modified in real time by readings from all kinds of sensors, including the lambdas. Even if your tuner is a total badass and can give you a pitch perfect tune, its perfection is ruined the second you change elevation, temperature, barometric pressure, fuel quality, or riding style.

Basically, if you want a bike that runs well and doesn't choke out the guy behind you due to a too rich mixture, you've got to have your o2s enabled.

·
Registered
225 Posts
snip

Basically, if you want a bike that runs well and doesn't choke out the guy behind you due to a too rich mixture, you've got to have your o2s enabled.
You can smell these "tuned" bikes a mile before you catch up to them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So to enable my O2 sensors what do I have to do? I can remove the nudge buttons and still keep the cruise control...or maybe just buy an S1000xr

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought the O2 sensors on these bikes were narrow band and only used by the ECU under certain relatively limited circumstances. I'm looking at installing TB with nudge buttons and QS on my 12' and was under the impression there was little negative effect of disconnecting and disabling the stock O2 sensors. As a question not an argument, if the stock narrow band sensor are good enough for the ECU to adjust the A/F why do you have to install wide band sensors to do it with a tuner?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish a company with some financial backing would buy Tuneboy and finish the development of the product. It has all the makings of being a great tool but lacks investment into further R&D (and customer service)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a 2010 MTS 1200 with Tuneboy & the nudge buttons. Besides the awefull service provided by Tuneboy, the product works perfectly. No backfiring, no surging, holds speed perfectly. I just used one of the supplied trim files. Sorry, can't remember, set it up about 5 years ago & have not been game to touch it since (as I do not trust the Tuneboy interface to not do something unexpected). Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same here. '12 MTS with Tuneboy time & cc, nudge buttons, QS and launch control and no issues at all during the last 60k kms. It runs perfectly.
At the beginning I have checked quite few already available trim files until I found the best one with no surging, popping, etc. Then slightly modified it manually to make it an even better fit.
When Wayne made the trim file switching option available I rechecked the available trim files again as the switching on the fly option made it easier to compare them. I still use the trim file switching option to switch between a 'normal' daily map and a more track oriented map when I'm on a track day with the bike.

I reload the stock map when I take the bike to my local dealer for scheduled service as their Ducati computer does not recognize the bike if the Tuneboy tune is loaded. after they finish I upload the Tuneboy tune and 3 trim files again.

The narrow band O2 sensors are disabled (just like the exhaust valve) by Tuneboy. That is why Tuneboy can use the O2 sensors' input to the ECU for other purposes (cc nudge buttons and QS). Tuneboy has an autotune function that can use either aftermarket wide band sensor(s) or the OEM narrow band sensors (the latter to a presumably lesser effect) to fine tune an existing trim file on the go. I didn't try the the autotune function, though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I removed my catalytic converters and installed a Leo Vince mid-pipe with my Termi slip-on. Not only is it ungodly loud, I now get a lot of popping on decel. There is a trim file named Termi slip-on with decat pipe but it still pops and surges a bit. Also, Tuneboy stopped selling their wideband O2 sensor so doing the auto tune wasn’t an option

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I installed a single can with cat eliminator exhaust and cruise with nudge buttons on my 2010 I used a tune from the Tuneboy archives. It ran pretty good but did have a slight mid range hesitation. Sorry, I don't remember which tune. Probably the MTS_MIVV (or maybe the MTS_TermiShort).

Then I had it dynoed at Boulder Motorsports. (Boulder, CO) It runs great now! They use Tuneboy and I am very happy with the tune. Think it cost around $400 (but don't remember for sure - I had suspension work done too). If you are close (I am 6 hours away from them and it was worth it) give them a call.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I live in Connecticut. There was a dyno shop in Massachusetts that was a Tuneboy dealer. When I called him he said he no longer deals with Tuneboy. He thought they were too difficult to deal with. He also said that the software didn't work on all his laptops so he stopped using them. I told him the software was working on my laptop and he could use mine. That's when he quoted me $750 because he was anticipating issues

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had the tuneboy on My 2010 Multi since 2013, i have the nudge button, which is great. I have the Leo Vince mid pipe with the Termi pipe, BMC race air filter, geared up 2 on the rear sprocket. The bike worked ok with the trim files i got from tuneboy, still had the mid range sputter, didnt feel like it had its full potential opened up. So i decided to throw it on the dyno for a proper tune..... WOW. The mid range dip and sputter are gone, pulls to redline without any taper off in power or torque. I live in Alberta Canada, elevation is around 3000 feet. I have no issues when riding through the Rockies at higher elevation or when i hit the coast at sea level. the power at sea level is unbelievable. The guy that tuned my bike said it was the easiest tuning software hes used on a bike. The bike gained about 10 hp and 8 ft lbs. not huge gains but the smoothness and linear pull now is where its at.
Screenshot_20190718-055954_Gallery[1].jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I removed my catalytic converters and installed a Leo Vince mid-pipe with my Termi slip-on. Not only is it ungodly loud, I now get a lot of popping on decel. There is a trim file named Termi slip-on with decat pipe but it still pops and surges a bit. Also, Tuneboy stopped selling their wideband O2 sensor so doing the auto tune wasn’t an option
The wideband O2 sensor is just an Innovate LC-1 or LC-2. Tuneboy might have modified it slightly to work better as a resold plug and play, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out. I have an old LC-1, but it looks like they have replaced it with the LC-2 now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a '13 1200 S Touring with a full Termi exhaust. I have downloaded the Tuneboy trim files but none of them seem to make it run right. I still get surging around 4k rpm and a lot of sputtering on decel. I have looked into having someone do a dyno tune but I can't find anyone who works with Tuneboy in my area. Does anyone have some trim files they might want to share that would work?

Cheers!
Have you talked to PhaedrusB at all?

He sent me his modified maps which are set up for smooth running. Haven't tried them yet, but they may seem to be what you are after.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts