Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

First chance I've had to ride the Multi properly in quite a few months. My 2013 MTS1200 is fitted with a Tuneboy QS / flashed etc. It had been working more or less fine, but today I noticed that at low RPM (3-5000) the throttle was randomly blipping or surging. I tried the other two maps and all three were doing the same thing. It started off infrequent, but after a while it got quite bad and was happening a lot. I noticed that it was very similar to the blip to that which occurs when you downshift with the QS. It has actually done this in the past, but only once in a blue moon. It's quite disconcerting mid corner :oops:

Anyway, today it got to the point that I had to troubleshoot on the side of the road, and as soon as I disconnected the QS it was 100% resolved. I haven't had a chance to look into it further but will need to have a dig with the multimeter and see what I can find in case it's continuity in the wiring. I had read somewhere that putting some penetrating lube down the rod of the actual shifter might help, but considering it's a strain gauge I wasn't sure that would make any difference (?). Anyway, long story short, I am wondering if anyone on here has any experience with a similar issue, or any hot ideas as to what I might be able to do to try and fix it? Quite an expensive component to replace unfortunately!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers all!

Tk

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had a similar experience with a Tuneboy QS years ago, and it turned out to be a frayed wire between the load cell (the black box on your QS unit, a few inches up from the strain gauge), and the O2 sensor connector. In my case it was the result of poor routing on my part. Carefully check the entire length of cable for cracks, frays, or any other damage. I'd bet that's what you're dealing with. Be aware that it is possible for the load cell itself to go bad, too. Tuneboy was selling rebranded Cordona QS hardware; if you need it repaired you might consider calling them since it's hard to tell if Tuneboy is still in business.

Disconcerting is an understatement. Having your throttle cut for a split second mid corner is an awful feeling on a bike.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. Appreciate the insight.

I have contacted Cordana but their only advice was to check the linkage and ensure it was adequately lubricated/free. I haven't bothered trying to contact Tuneboy yet as I know they were having some issues last year and might still be shut down. I will try your theory and have a good look over the wiring, quite likely I put a kink or something in it!

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had problems with the quickshifter a couple years ago. went back and forth with tuneboy, went nowhere. i even went as far as sending the entire quickshifter unit to them, just wanted them to tell me if it was faulty or not..

not even a response from them. It lasted me all of 1 year, you would think they would have at least had the sense to let me know if it was broke or not. so spent money and time shipping to them for nothing.

advise? toss it out, stick with standard shifting.. no way you want to have glitchy shifting when you're leaned over!!

my 2.
thanks,
ant.

Thanks mate. Appreciate the insight.

I have contacted Cordana but their only advice was to check the linkage and ensure it was adequately lubricated/free. I haven't bothered trying to contact Tuneboy yet as I know they were having some issues last year and might still be shut down. I will try your theory and have a good look over the wiring, quite likely I put a kink or something in it!

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts