Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I haven't posted on here for a while, but I just bought a TuneBoy with Cruise for my 2011 Multi S Touring. The installation was easy except the documentation is out of date was referring to stuff that isn't there anymore. The problems I found doing the install are below hopefully to help anyone having issues.

I finally got my Tune flashed, But I have 2 questions:

1. does anyone know how to keep the Multi "on" for long enough to flash the ECU? Mine keeps shutting down after about 10-15 seconds. I have to constantly play with the settings with the left up/dpown buttons to prevent it from sleep for the 2 or so minutes it takes to flash

2. I am trying to reset the 12k Oil Life. I go into the TuneEdit app, go to the 'Tools' menu, select 'Reset Oil Life Indicator', but then what do I do? The manual is not clear and says nothing. I asked Wayne in email what the process is supposed to be but nothing, no response.

Do I have to save it somehow then re-flash? I dunno. What I did was tried saving it as a TRM then re-flashing and selecting that trim file but that didn't work so I'm kinda stuck.

For those interested, below are the issues I found that I emailed to Wayne and [email protected] dot com dot au but got no response. I sent a ping Thursday, 4 days later to ask if he received my email and has any response, still nothing. It's now been 7 days and no response. For those who haven't bought yet, I can't recommend TuneBoy with such crappy support, so buyer beware. Perhaps he is having some issue, maybe the virus? But he or someone could reply and say "sorry, we're unable to respond right now" but I have received nothing and did get an email back (after 4 days) asking if I needed to buy the Wideband O2 sensor he references in his manual with a SKU but no longer sells...

Issues found installing TuneBoy:

• The manual says to run "SetupDucatiMitsubishi.exe on the TuneBoy USB”. That must be old. Further down in the manual it says to run “FlashMitsubishi”. This is what I did and it worked.
  • the manual shows a “Prepare ECU” step but there is no “Prepare ECU” button on my screen - just Flash ECU. I used "Flash ECU" and at the Botton I saw “Preparing ECU so assume the software has changed?
  • when I started TuneBoyTrimMitsubishi.exe the first time it asked me for a password. It showed 0. I never set a password so it was just ‘0’ but for some reason the Trim app was asking me for it. I already showed 0 and my only options were “Try Again” or “Cancel”. I typed 0 over the existing 0 and the password dialog disappeared but I don’t know if it worked or ?? It was confusing.
  • There is no process described for how to change the oil life reset or demo service indicators. It tell you to go to the menu and click them but that's it. Then what?
Hopefully someone out here can help with my 2 questions above - I'm hoping so and thanks very much in advance,

David/desmodab

·
Registered
539 Posts
Not sure what you got but I went to the website and downloaded new versions of the software. That fixed the ability to reset the service light. Can't tell you the exact procedure but it was reasonably intuitive.

For #1 what I did originally is press the blinker cancel button every 10 seconds to keep the bike "awake". Then somewhere I found the hack that keeps it on. Connect a jumper from the battery (+) to the hot side of the accessory circuit. This bypasses the relay that turns off accessory power and keeps the brains powered up. I made it from an aligator clip cable I had an a powerlet plug. Plug the powerlet into one of the 2 side heated gear sockets (wire to center/hot post) and clip the other end to the battery (+). Bike will not go to sleep then. Here's a photo with that in it:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I know right. Having it shut off in the middle of a firmware load was freaking me out. Already apprehensive, didn’t want to “brick” some ECU and the bike. The wire fixed that problem.

if you ever do have to take it for service,I unload tuneboy. Stock duc computer threw errors when I didn’t.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, good to know. it's off warranty now so don't plan to take it in unless it's something major.

thanks a million.

·
Registered
270 Posts
To reset your oil service light, you need to press "Desmo Reset". It isn't clear in the instructions but that's what Wayne told me and it worked. I had several issues re-flashing my ECU and had to do it several times before it took. He could really use to revise his instruction manual and it would save him a lot of emails and phone calls

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I'll try that.

Completely agree his manual needs updating. I sent him what I thought were some nice notes with page numbers and what is incorrect and no reply, even though I'm trying to help the guy, and of course other riders.

The latest issue I found is for cruise control. It says to:

16.3 Cruise Control PreFlight Check
Before riding with cruise control you will need to run the CruisePreFlight.exe. This displays the clutch switch flag and brake switch flag. Pull the clutch in and apply front and rear brakes to ensure that these flags change from 1-0 or 0-1 as indicated on the screen. You will see a 1 or 0 displayed on this screen:

The files I got do not include a CruisePreFlight.exe so I will have to try to figure this out too.

I have 4 emails in to him now and he's ignored all of them. It makes my blood boil that you give a guy your money and he cares so little he won't even reply to you. Grrr!

Thanks to all for your help here, very much appreciated.

DD

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To reset your oil service light, you need to press "Desmo Reset". It isn't clear in the instructions but that's what Wayne told me and it worked. I had several issues re-flashing my ECU and had to do it several times before it took. He could really use to revise his instruction manual and it would save him a lot of emails and phone calls
One other quick question - did you have to:

• go to Tools - press Desmo reset
  • save the TRM file
  • open TuneBoyFlashMitsubishi.exe
  • load the TRM file you just saved
  • Re-Flash the ECU
or!

- with the Tuneboy =cable plugged into your ECU just hit Desmo reset.

In other words, do you have to set it in the TRIM program then load and re-flash to turn the oil life reset off?

Thanks...

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's been a while since I did it but I think I just went in and hit desmo reset with the cable plugged in. I don't think I needed to re-save my trim file. They were two separate things.
I also had a problem with the pre-flight operation for cruise control. Essentially, if you set the cruise control and it is interrupted by wither pulling in the clutch or hitting the brake, it's working properly. Wayne told me to just bypass the pre-flight procedure. lol
It is very finicky but when you get it set, it works. It's so nice having electronic cruise control after using several throttle locks that never worked

·
Registered
2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200s Touring
7 Posts
I managed to get my Tuneboy tune on my bike after the decat and that worked fine. Later I physically installed the buttons for cruise and the quickshift lever assembly that I also got from Tuneboy. It would not flash to enable them. I contacted Tuneboy with a very good explanation and screenshots....and they never could understand what I meant. I was about to bang my head on a wall. So I'm riding around with non-functioning cool hardware...wishing it worked. ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did you select the nudge button option in the software? If you added the buttons afterward, you may not have selected them during the installation of the tune

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys - I haven't posted on here for a while, but I just bought a TuneBoy with Cruise for my 2011 Multi S Touring. The installation was easy except the documentation is out of date was referring to stuff that isn't there anymore. The problems I found doing the install are below hopefully to help anyone having issues.

I finally got my Tune flashed, But I have 2 questions:

1. does anyone know how to keep the Multi "on" for long enough to flash the ECU? Mine keeps shutting down after about 10-15 seconds. I have to constantly play with the settings with the left up/dpown buttons to prevent it from sleep for the 2 or so minutes it takes to flash

2. I am trying to reset the 12k Oil Life. I go into the TuneEdit app, go to the 'Tools' menu, select 'Reset Oil Life Indicator', but then what do I do? The manual is not clear and says nothing. I asked Wayne in email what the process is supposed to be but nothing, no response.

Do I have to save it somehow then re-flash? I dunno. What I did was tried saving it as a TRM then re-flashing and selecting that trim file but that didn't work so I'm kinda stuck.

For those interested, below are the issues I found that I emailed to Wayne and [email protected] dot com dot au but got no response. I sent a ping Thursday, 4 days later to ask if he received my email and has any response, still nothing. It's now been 7 days and no response. For those who haven't bought yet, I can't recommend TuneBoy with such crappy support, so buyer beware. Perhaps he is having some issue, maybe the virus? But he or someone could reply and say "sorry, we're unable to respond right now" but I have received nothing and did get an email back (after 4 days) asking if I needed to buy the Wideband O2 sensor he references in his manual with a SKU but no longer sells...

Issues found installing TuneBoy:

• The manual says to run "SetupDucatiMitsubishi.exe on the TuneBoy USB”. That must be old. Further down in the manual it says to run “FlashMitsubishi”. This is what I did and it worked.
  • the manual shows a “Prepare ECU” step but there is no “Prepare ECU” button on my screen - just Flash ECU. I used "Flash ECU" and at the Botton I saw “Preparing ECU so assume the software has changed?
  • when I started TuneBoyTrimMitsubishi.exe the first time it asked me for a password. It showed 0. I never set a password so it was just ‘0’ but for some reason the Trim app was asking me for it. I already showed 0 and my only options were “Try Again” or “Cancel”. I typed 0 over the existing 0 and the password dialog disappeared but I don’t know if it worked or ?? It was confusing.
  • There is no process described for how to change the oil life reset or demo service indicators. It tell you to go to the menu and click them but that's it. Then what?
Hopefully someone out here can help with my 2 questions above - I'm hoping so and thanks very much in advance,

David/desmodab
Tuneboy has a bad reputation for customer service. The reason is because there is none. If you read the policy statement they say that replies to enquires will be at their discretion or words to that effect. It should read "we never reply to questions about our product.

My experience with them was that I could not make changes to the tunes, therefore was unable to do a dyno tune. Nothing I tried worked. After several emails and waiting weeks I put a Paypal dispute on them asking for a full refund. Got a reply next day with a software fix.

I will never deal with them again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Seems like a product for people who like solving computer problems more than riding motorcycles. Dump it all in the bin and ride your bike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts