Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to clear the air. Why is Ducati and some Ducati Dealers voiding the warranty on DMS bikes with the TuneBoy Cruise Control installation?

I have had the TBCC for over 8K on a DMS 2012 that has performed flawlessly, never causing a single bike or cruise control malfunction in any way. In addition, the fuel mapping for under 4K is greatly improved. To my knowledge, there are no reports of failed emission tests with the addition.

This survey does not address the difficulties of installing the program or managing the program, just bike damages or malfunctions.

So let's hear it. Are there ANY reports out there that the TBCC has caused ANY malfunctions or damages to the bike whatsoever.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I doubt it. My guess is that Ducati doesn't like the fact that TuneBoy has cracked the ECU and can change maps, add cruise, reset the service minder, etc. all from within the bike ECU itself.

Ducati wants control and TB puts it in the users hands. Sure, there is a chance that a user could screw up the fueling big time, or brick the ECU. I don't think that is the issue though, other piggyback fueling modules like powercommander present the same pitfalls.

I don't think Ducati can void the warranty though due to the Magnuson-Moss act. They can try but it is up to them to prove that the use of Tuneboy is the cause of whatever warranty issue is being claimed.

I'm still waiting for someone to provide this letter that is purportedly being sent to Dealers.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The TuneBoy software for fuelling and cruise control on my 2011 MTS S has worked ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESSLY.

Which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the stock Ducati software.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's time to clear the air. Why is Ducati and some Ducati Dealers voiding the warranty on DMS bikes with the TuneBoy Cruise Control installation?.
Has this actually happened? If so what are the circumstances? Ie was it an issue related to fueling/ignition or something else?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I've heard a lot of noise but no one has ever produced a "letter", had a warranty claim denied, or even questioned as far as I know.

Has this actually happened? If so what are the circumstances? Ie was it an issue related to fueling/ignition or something else?

·
Registered
871 Posts
For those of you posting "I've had one for years. Works great!" Did you even read the OP? No one is asking how it works.

The issue is about Ducati *supposedly* telling dealers that bikes with remapped ECUs could be denied warranty coverage....which is well within their right to do so. So far, people have asked to see this mysterious letter and to my knowledge it is vaporware. While Ducati can *try* to deny warranty, they had better have a good understanding of the protections afforded consumers by things like Magnuson-Moss as it could cost them a lot more than a warranty repair would have.

So like most internet rumors...this one remains in the ether until someone can prove it.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Did you even read the OP? No one is asking how it works. .

Ummm yeah he did ask exactly that.

"This survey does not address the difficulties of installing the program or managing the program, JUST BIKE DAMAGES OR MALFUNCTIONS. So let's hear it. Are there ANY reports out there that the TBCC has caused ANY MALFUCTIONS OR DAMAGES TO THE BIKE whatsoever."

I do agree with your other comments though :D
I'm just feeling quite the smart ass today ;) and now you can bust my balls cause I can not figure out how to multi quote my reply. :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
No, asking "exactly that" would be "how does it work", not what he posted.

The word "exactly" has an exact or precise meaning.

Ummm yeah he did ask exactly that.

"This survey does not address the difficulties of installing the program or managing the program, JUST BIKE DAMAGES OR MALFUNCTIONS. So let's hear it. Are there ANY reports out there that the TBCC has caused ANY MALFUCTIONS OR DAMAGES TO THE BIKE whatsoever."

I do agree with your other comments though :D
I'm just feeling quite the smart ass today ;) and now you can bust my balls cause I can not figure out how to multi quote my reply. :)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
For those of you posting "I've had one for years. Works great!" Did you even read the OP? No one is asking how it works.
Ummmm, ..... the OP asked (among other things):

This survey does not address the difficulties of installing the program or managing the program, just bike damages or malfunctions.

So let's hear it. Are there ANY reports out there that the TBCC has caused ANY malfunctions or damages to the bike whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
12,108 Posts
Remember that your Magnuson -moss act does not APPY to the whole planet.
Why should Ducati spend money on researching and development of ANY AFTERMARKET product that MAY interfere with their Product????

Want to take Ducati to court? Ask what happened to the expanding tank issue.
Perhaps it should be up to the Aftermarket part producers to PROVE (very costly) that their product will do no harm!
Hell they won't even afford a web site...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I assume that act is a US thing? News flash - the world is much bigger than the USA and consumer protection varies by location.

Here, they would have to prove that the item in question (TuneBoy) is the cause of whatever problem is being claimed under warranty. However, it would take a lot of messing around on the owner's part to get that far since they will have to challenge the inital wty denial.

Easiest option is always to return the bike to stock before taking in to dealer for any claims. As part of your own troubleshooting you should do that anyway, so you know your TuneBoy is not the cause.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I assume that act is a US thing? News flash - the world is much bigger than the USA and consumer protection varies by location.

Here, they would have to prove that the item in question (TuneBoy) is the cause of whatever problem is being claimed under warranty. However, it would take a lot of messing around on the owner's part to get that far since they will have to challenge the inital wty denial.

Easiest option is always to return the bike to stock before taking in to dealer for any claims. As part of your own troubleshooting you should do that anyway, so you know your TuneBoy is not the cause.
It is my understanding that the bike can't exactly be returned to "stock" but that there is a map that is an approximation of the factory map. I would like to be able to have no trace of Tuneboy on the bike sometimes. Is that possible?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
The ECU is really a computer. Let's say you have a naked photo of yourself on it and you want to get rid of it. Deleting that photo doesn't mean that it is "gone". The right person with the right tools can retrieve it even though it has been deleted. At some point after a number of writes, the photo may not be retrievable in whole but you can still see that you had that photo on the computer.

That being said, I've been with the mechanics when they hook up the DDS system to the bike and they cannot see the tuneboy software. From what I observed, they can only see the file load and the date which tuneboy doesn't modify. Other than me telling the mechanic/dealer, they can't see the changes made. I'm sure that if they sent the ECU to Italy for diagnosis, the boys of Bologna would probably see it if they went and looked for it. None of the options I've seen in DDS allows them to see anything.

Even though I have been very upfront with my dealer and have told them what I have done, I wouldn't hesitate to take my bike to any dealer with the software loaded. They simply can't see it with the tools they have.

It is my understanding that the bike can't exactly be returned to "stock" but that there is a map that is an approximation of the factory map. I would like to be able to have no trace of Tuneboy on the bike sometimes. Is that possible?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts