Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014S is running really rich with the TB tune and I know their website says to run the Auto Tune function...but I am not 100% sure what that means.

Can someone please walk me through the steps?

TIA

Mark

·
Registered
621 Posts
It's been several years since I worked with TuneBoy, but IIRC, the auto tune feature requires a wide band lambda sensor, and due to the unique wiring requirements for Tuneboy, can only be sourced either from Tuneboy, or Innovate directly, but in that case you have to build your own 3 pin adapter for the Ducati connector.

Keep in mind, if you have either the quickshifter or the nudge buttons installed, Tuneboy has disabled your factory, narrow-band lambda sensors. In that case, your ECU is defaulting to a very rich, safe tune in closed loop (partial throttle) mode. With Tuneboy, you cannot have QS/nudge buttons and real time oxygen sensing, have to pick one or the other. You won't have much luck getting a fuel injected engine to run a stochiometrically correct air/fuel ratio in closed loop without oxygen sensors.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is why I am confused:

From the Website: Auto Tuning
The auto-tuning software feature allows you to tune the low throttle area using the standard narrow band O2 sensors that your motorcycle comes with. It requires a connection to the PC running the TuneBoyTrim software. The TuneBoyTrim software will adjust the fuel trim tables to bring the air fuel ratio to the target 14.7/1. Once the trim tables have been auto-tuned to the 14.7/1 target you can manually adjust the low throttle area to a target air fuel ratio that will provide a much smoother ride.

From the Manual: 7. USING THE TUNEBOYTRIM PROGRAM FOR AUTO TUNING

We recommend this be used on an eddy-current brake dynamometer for best results. Some common dyno’s are not very good at steady state mapping because they are very poor at holding a set RPM. Dyno’s like the Dyno Dynamics, Factory Pro, Mainline, Mustang, Superflow etc are much easier to use for this process.

Using the Auto-Tune feature requires use of an Innovate LC-2 or other wideband O2 controller.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conflicting Information for sure!!!!

I do have the Nudge button installed...maybe I should remove it and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Plugging the o2 sensor back in and re-enabling them in Tuneboy might help, but keep in mind, your o2 sensors have been unpowered for however long you've had those nudge buttons installed. Not sure if the stock sensors are heated (I think not, they are two wire IIRC) but if they are that would likely mean they are ruined.

Couldn't tell you which Tuneboy statement is accurate, or maybe they both are; their docs have always been a weak point for an otherwise good product. I do know that engine loading is a factor in A/F ratio, and so I wouldn't trust any map that was created with the bike just sitting in a garage in neutral.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone using TB have an idea why the program will not recognize the TB box that is connected?

Keeps telling me to connect to the bike and restart the program!!

Still no reply from TB....pissing me off big time!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had a different issue on mine, there was a software update which cured it. Long shot, maybe that will help. Also had to move it to a Win7 PC, I had been running ton my old "shop" PC that's on XP.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Anyone using TB have an idea why the program will not recognize the TB box that is connected?

Keeps telling me to connect to the bike and restart the program!!

Still no reply from TB....pissing me off big time!!!!!!!!
I had exactly the same problem with my MTS.

After many tries I gave up on TuneBoy.

I switched to [email protected] four years ago and have had fantastic service ever since.

ANY time you have a problem David will respond within at most a day (usually within a couple of hours) and he ALWAYS solves the problem.

As compared with the 1-800-FUC-KOFF customer response from Wayne.

Reactions: Damascus

·
Registered
592 Posts
Try using the WI FI connection several times , or wired connection several times , shut ignition off between each try , the first time you use Tuneboy make sure you have entered your WB-01 password , also ensure you have run the program as the administrator on your computer

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
No idea if this will help you, but here are my personal notes from my latest TuneBoy adventure. It might be easier to launch an ICBM. Actually, come to think of it, I'm certain it's easier to launch an ICBM. If I ever get another bike, I doubt I'll have the stamina to install TuneBoy on it. Too much work.

> Remember this software is fickle so it may take a couple of different tries, unplugging this or that in a different order, but eventually you always get there. See your YouTube bookmark.

> If doing first or lengthy install, pull the headlight light fuse to save the battery. It’s the 1st one in row closest to front of bike on my 2012 MTS.

> Notes for upgrading to latest TuneBoy software and Tune/Maps and Trim …
> Under Section 4 - Installing The First Map of the TuneBoy Mitsubishi Documentation instructions, you essentially skip steps 7 - 21 because you did those in setting up your earlier version.
> Under Downloads on the TuneBoy website, download the latest …
1. TuneBoy software version (becomes FlashMitsubishi and TuneBoy Trim),
2. WB01_Update file (becomes WB01 Find) and
3. Tune/Map folder. You use MTS1200_2010_to_12_CruiseAndTune_V6_7dTune.dat.
4. Trim folder. You use MTS1200_Gen1_QD_WithDBKillers_V6.TRM.
> Transfer to laptop with memory stick.
> Connect the WB01 WiFi Box’s USB cable to the laptop to power up the WB01. Do NOT connect the WB01 to the bike at this point.
> Right click on the WB01 Find icon and run as Administrator.
> Connect the WB01 to the bike.
> Turn on ignition. Do not start bike.
> Disconnect WB01 WiFi Box’s USB cable from the laptop if you want to use WiFi which is safer. The USB cable causes interference with the WiFi. You will damage the laptop if you inadvertently start the bike and the USB cable is still connected.
> Right click on the FlashMitsubishi icon and run as Administrator. Select the latest Tune/Map you downloaded. Select the latest Trim that you downloaded (or created in TuneBoyTrim and saved that you will never do.) Choose Reflash ECU. Exit.
> Turn ignition off. Wait 30 seconds. Turn ignition on. The latest Tune/Map and Trim should be loaded.

> Notes for using TuneBoyTrim to turn off the Service/Oil Indicators, install Quick Shifter, add Trim Files, etc …
> Connect the WB01 to the bike.
> Turn on ignition. Do NOT start bike.
> Disconnect WB01 WiFi Box’s USB cable from the laptop if you want to use WiFi which is safer. The USB cable causes interference with the WiFi. You will damage the laptop if you inadvertently start the bike and the USB cable is still connected.
> To turn off the Service/Oil Indicator, right click the TuneBoyTrim icon and run as Administrator.
> If in lower left “Reading ECU” gets stalled or you get “Serial port Error”, disconnect the WB01 and start again. You want to see “Get Running Data” in lower left.
> Follow the TuneBoy Mitsubishi Documentation instructions from here.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Try using the WI FI connection several times , or wired connection several times , shut ignition off between each try , the first time you use Tuneboy make sure you have entered your WB-01 password , also ensure you have run the program as the administrator on your computer
Sco,

That is all good advice, but you left out the steps, where you punch the wall of your garage a couple of times and start swearing loud enough to scare the neighbors.

Good times! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts