Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick intro first I guess before I get flamed. This is my 5th Ducati, 3rd M900 (others include a pre production GT and a single) and oh I don't know.......36th bike in all? Most of "my" bikes, ie: bikes I didn't just buy to flip to get a better bike I wanted ended up customized, seats, paint, rims, etc but......all were pretty mild. Black, black, black, no chrome all function over style and I usually would just make fun of flamboyant paint colors and chrome bling.......well, all that just ended. I lost interst in customizing for about 4yrs (tired of doing the same ol thing) till now....went against every grain in my DNA to do a complete opposite project to suprise my friends. This is getting long winded........ I use to go by Pomadepete (back when I use to pile on the pomade) on a few forums that no longer seem to exist years ago, so if you do recognize the old name, hello. Hello to any one in Seattle I know as well. I'll try to post a pic of my old 900ss sp project (BEFORE the retro classics came out) and my latest......

OK, ON TO MY QUESTION! Can someone set me straight on the rims as far as tubes or no tubes? I was under the impression that I can run ANY tire as long as I have a tube (we're talking about the chrome/steal GT classic rims). Am I wrong? I'd rather run a tube vs. sealing. These will be going on the LV m900.

Thanks in advance, Peter.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
All of the sportclassics are equiped with tubeless tires and tubes. To my knowledge, any tire can be run with a tube in it so you can replace the oem tires with any after-market tubeless tire as long as there is a tube or the rims are sealed.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
hey michalik, welcome to the forum! i met you at the tully's in fremont a while back with my red gt1000 with the 900ss fairing - how ya been?

i've been running pilot 2ct's on my sport classics for the past couple years and love 'em. the rims hold a standard tire just fine - they have a rim bead.

geoff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GTRossi! Whats up to you and your lovely wife (sorry forgot the name)!

You know whats funny? So, the reason I was doubting my knowledge (ie: all tires being able to be mounted with tubes!) is b/c Aaron, one of the guys I was telling about your custom fenders, tried to confuse me today by telling me that there are only certain tires that can be run with tubes and if i want to run any other tire I have to seal my rims!

Thanks for the clarification (so you are running tubes in yours or did you seal them?), I guess I'll just buy some tubes to stick in my new GT rims and throw my old tires on there! So, just so I'm clean.... my choice is either to run a tube or seal (run any tire I want)?

Funny too, we were at Ladro tonight too! [email protected] if you wanna grab coffee or whatever......no pressure though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, cool......ya, just checked out your other thread, love to see it in person!
i'll give you a shout when the new rims are on! Just so I sleep better, I am right in my above reasoning? Thanks, and as everyone said, the bike looks awesome btw.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
yup, tube or seal - any tire that fits the rim.

kinda surprised that you're putting the steel gt wheels on though, they are incredibly heavy...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya, i know but i got em for $500 and this bike right now is more show then go anyways........i don't ride that much anymore, just pose and the bike needs a motor anyways. i don't trust it further then i can push it..... rear cylinder has super low compression.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
here's a great thread that has a ton of info on comparing all the different wheel options - weight, spacers needed, brakes, rotors etc.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=55457

it's worth reading from the beginning - one member did a spreadsheet comparing weight of most of the wheels that will fit our bikes. the stock gt wheels are by far the heaviest. i'm running a gixxer front end (huge difference) and an st rear wheel on my s1k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts