Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GT1000. I ride at fairly high speeds on rural and mountain roads. Very twisty sections. I am concerned about flat tires. I know the GT1000 has a tube, but if it blows out will it stay on the rim in the same way tubeless tires will? I think it sports a tubeless tire, but does it clinch the rim in the same way as true tubeless rims? If I want to buy a spare rim set to use on these speedy/twisty junkets, can I do that? What rim would I use? Can I port a 17 inch rim from one of the single-swing-arm bikes? Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi Mike,

Try here:

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/ducati-sport-1000/13645-wheels.html#post157844

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/ducati-sport-1000/13645-wheels.html#post157848

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/ducati-sport-1000/13645-wheels.html#post159357

I'll have a pint of Granville Island Brewery's finest please - Gastown Amber Ale will do nicely. We took a holiday in Vancouver in summer 2005, we stayed in Kitsilano Beach & I managed to check out John Valk's whilst the ladies were shopping. We really enjoyed the Vancouver area & the people are very friendly.

We'll be in Toronto in early August, catching up with family in Ontario.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Mike and welcome. If you love your GT, think about getting some different wheels if you like to go fast. Not so much to get rid of the tubes, which is a major plus, but to cut down on the weight. It really makes the bike much better all around with a set of lighter wheels and modern tires. Lots of threads on this forum about what will work for the GT.

If you want to stick with the spokes/tubes, Excel makes rims that will work. Have them laced up and you're ready to go. Those will be lighter as well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I still have the tubed tires on my bike. I got a flat early in the spring with the factory installed Michelin Classics and can give you an idea of what you can expect. My rear tire picked up a small nail/box staple and began to lose air. It was a slow leak but I could feel the back end get soft. From the time I realized something wasn't right till the bike was unrideable was roughly 2 miles. Even a slow leak will leave you walking in a very short amount of time. Luckily I was close enough to my house to limp it home, corning became a delicate challenge. I checked air pressure once in the driveway and it was less than the 6 psi it takes to get to the first mark on my gauge. The tires sidewalls had stayed in place on the rim and the rim had not touched the ground anywhere. I would not expect this situation would have lasted much longer, either the bead would have seperated and trashed the rims or the tread would have come apart with roughly the same result. The tire was incredibly hot and had bad wear marks in the sidewalls. Your best situation if you have a flat is just to pull it over and not continue riding.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
As a similar tale of first hand experience, I recently caught a front flat on my GT that has alloy wheels from a Sport that have been sealed so I run no tubes. I knew the tire was getting low when I had some major vibration at about 120 MPH in some fast continuous sweepers about 15-20 miles from the next town (slowed down to about 90 after that). By the time I made the turn through the first intersection in town I could tell by the heavy feeling that the tire was low. By the time I stopped and checked a couple miles up the road it was below 10 PSI I believe. This was a tubless Dunlop tire, it did not even budge as far as trying to come off the rim.

YMMV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GT1000 rims

Great responses you guys! Amazing website. I'm very excited about this bike. I've recently owned and sold Triumph Scrambler, DRZ400, KTM 950 Adv, BMW GS x 2, various BMWs. None of them (KTM maybe) compares with this GT motor. Can't get enough of it. Thanks again for your input. I will likely get a set of tubeless rims to do a quick swap for these adventure rides. Now I have to work on the suspension. I'm thinking of non-progressive racing springs in the forks. And cranking the pre-load on the rear shocks. Any suggestions?

PS I have a place in Whistler if anyone needs a place to play summer or winter...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts