Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever put a tube in a tubeless tire? or know of a reason that it should not be done? i want to do it on a 1965 ducati mountaineer. top speed is about 45 mph so speed issues should be nil. the bike weighs about 150 pounds which is also about what i weigh. so total weight is about 300 pounds.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I see no issue. Sport Classic spoked rims require tubes and come with "regular" "tubless" radials as I understand it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Dual sport guys with spoke wheels do it all the time to run street tires (I do).
Adds a lot of weight, and you're guaranteed to get a pinch flat or two on the rear the first time you try to mount it.
Use new tubes and a lot of talcum powder. And band-aids for your knuckles, you'll need them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you've got the technique down, say from riding dirtbikes, you won't pinch them. Make sure the tube isn't stuck under the bead of the tire before you air them up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will probably give it a shot. If I lose my patience or start popping tubes I can run it up to the local shop and pay them $20 to do it right. :)

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Pretty much any of my older bikes in my signature are running tubeless tires, with tubes on them because the wheels wouldn't keep a tubeless tire on the bead...or air in the tire for that matter on spoked wheels lol...it's normal practice.

·
Registered
209 Posts
add a few psi to the tube, just enough to give it shape, i helps keep the tube from getting pinched during the install of the last side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts