Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

read this site, read the interwebs... thought I had it all ready.

Went to DMV with my fairings off so my engine VIN could be located, cleaned off my frame VIN so inspector could see it... but when i got there I was told I was missing my
-emissions sticker
-federal compliance stickers.

I don't see these on my bike (has termi full exhaust so maybe that is the problem?)... can anyone help me locate these?

If anyone else has tried registering an out of state bike in California, chime in... is there a way to buy these stickers, or copies of these stickers online somehow? where would they be located?

thanks.:confused:

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
You might need the stock exhaust also, as it has an EPA stamp on the cans. I'm not positive though.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sticker locations are in your Owners Manual.
thanks for the graphic... it looks like i need #3, 7,8... which all show to be on the tank?... there hasn't been stickers on the tank of this bike since I bought it... nor any other tank I've ever seen. hmm..

I'm really considering trying to print copies somehow... i hate pointless bureaucracy. :mad:

·
Administrator
12,438 Posts
If you can peel and re-stick the one on my ST4s you are welcome to it :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
Rules regarding registering bikes in CA:

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29
Be Sure You Can Register it in California
The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here. This includes certain diesel powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (Health and Safety Codes [H&SC] §§43150 – 43156.)
What Is Considered a new Vehicle?

California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.
Aren't all Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California certified (50-State) vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.
Check the Label

To find out whether a car, truck or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle check the frame or refer to your owner's manual. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.
Exemptions

There are a few exemptions included in the law. As a California resident you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if it was:

Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or a legal separation settlement
Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
Purchased it to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § 27156.2 and 27156.3.
Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

emissions label.

Does this Apply to Someone Moving to California?

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)

California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly or impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS.) No direct import vehicle less than two years old can be converted to California emission standards. Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (ARB), or visit ARB online.

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

·
Registered
654 Posts
See bold above or:

If you bought it after you declared CA your residence AND it is a 49 state bike, it needs to either a. have more than 7500 miles on it, or b. have all the emissions compliance stickers to prove it is legal for sale in CA (a 50 state bike).

So if the statement above part b applies, you need to get your hands on some stickers somehow, or it can only be registered as race only.

But if you bought it when you lived out of state, all you need to do is show your old proof of registration for the bike from the state you moved from.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I found a great 749R on the east coast, but passed on it because of the DMV's silly 7500 mile rule...

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does this Apply to Someone Moving to California?

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-State vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)

California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly or impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS.) No direct import vehicle less than two years old can be converted to California emission standards. Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (ARB), or visit ARB online.

I tried explaining the fact that I've owned this bike since 2007 (as shown on the title) AND it has 15,000 miles, but the DMV lady would not budge.

See bold above or:

If you bought it after you declared CA your residence AND it is a 49 state bike, it needs to either a. have more than 7500 miles on it, or b. have all the emissions compliance stickers to prove it is legal for sale in CA (a 50 state bike).

So if the statement above part b applies, you need to get your hands on some stickers somehow, or it can only be registered as race only.

But if you bought it when you lived out of state, all you need to do is show your old proof of registration for the bike from the state you moved from.
I bought this in 2007, I showed my old proof of registration... she said it didn't matter. That's been the problem, it seems like either the rules vary, or each DMV person makes up their own. frustrating to say the least. I looked for the stickers thanks to Shazaam's direction, but they aren't on the bike... nowhere to be found. I'll try a different DMV office and see if bringing these rules in writing will change anything. I'm going to have this same issue with the Hyper when I try to register it... I love this state, but sometimes I effin' hate this state.

thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Being a public sector worker I will tell you that training across the board is nonexistent or just plain sucks. That probably accounts for your varying experiences from person to person.

With that in mind, I would suggest going to the DMV website I linked and printing the page. Highlight the pertinent sections, bring your old proof of registration from out of state, and the title (if you have it). Then if you still get grief talk to a manager.

I think what one of your sticking points may be, is that in the Ca DMV's eyes and the law, you have 10 days after moving to the state of Ca to get a Ca drivers license and change over vehicle registration.

FWIW the DMV rules are not arbitrary and are set forth by the legislature and dmv.

If what you say is correct, that you owned and registered the bike in another state, you should have no issues registering it with just your old proof of registration from out of state.

·
Registered
388 Posts
When I had to register my 749 they told me miles did not matter. All they look for are the emissions sticker which is on airbox. You will have to bring the 5mm Allen with a 17mm wrench to remove the seat and tank for them . Or take a picture of said stickers, sometimes that will work. Or just remove the stickers and put them somewhere else on the bike. They didn't even look twice at my termi, which read for race use only. But whatever you do, do not go back again and fail the inspection, they will send u to chp. I would remove the tank in front of them to show the sticker, show them the sticker on the left side of the bike above the battery tray with sound emissions , and the 749 CA sticker on the bottom of battery tray.

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
When I had to register my 749 they told me miles did not matter.
And that is incorrect.

Miles don't matter if there is less than 7500 on the bike and you bought it out of state as a current Ca resident, you would need the EPA stickers period.

But Calexio is considered an out of stater moving into CA with his purchased and titled out of state vehicles.

·
Administrator
12,438 Posts
And that is incorrect.

Miles don't matter if there is less than 7500 on the bike and you bought it out of state as a current Ca resident, you would need the EPA stickers period.

But Calexio is considered an out of stater moving into CA with his purchased and titled out of state vehicles.
Just to clarify:
Miles don't matter (it can have zero miles) on out of state vehicles as long as you have the EPA sticker that states it has California Emissions or you are moving yourself and the bike here from out of state.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Try another DMV . When I sold my kawi the new owner had trouble with a DMV lady because the title was signed but didn't have the "stamp" from the bank or some other bs? He went to another DMV and that person wasn't an arrsss or dmv nazi. I know here in the greater Sacramento area, Folsom is great,(not as many typical I hate my state job bad attitudes) and up in Placerville. Bottom line you need to do some sweet kiss a**ing and they'll sign off on it.

Or you now have a new track bike :)

Good luck Ca DMV sucks

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
I went to DMV yesterday to help the new owner of my hyper get it registered. I did remove my stickers (vin #'s & emissions tag) from the frame and rotated them to the backside of the frame tubes.
We had to pull the stickers for the viewing, but got them to ALLOW us to pull the stickers for viewing.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I found a great 749R on the east coast, but passed on it because of the DMV's silly 7500 mile rule...
OMG :eek: I just clicked on how this applies to all the kerfuffle that a poster started with his rant against SoCal Ducati and their inability to reconcile odometer readings with documented miles on a 749R they had for sale. The odo read 750-odd miles but the DMV paperwork stated 7553. NOW we know why - a previous owner must have told the DMV an untruth to get past that 7500 mile rule :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I did it

Engine from CA, Frame from New York, odometer from my old 748, the rest of the parts were pretty much all bought separately, with a bug old non-regulation 60mm Ti race exhaust.

First, you comply with the law and take papers and tell them them you bought a bike from out of state .. Within the first 10 days. But when they ask where's the bike, so they can match numbers, you tell them that its not working and that you are taking it apart, cleaning it and putting together to make sure it safe and everything works. They will be confused how to handle this, but they can give you a temp off-road registration for 3 months (like for a race only bike).

Then you pretty this thing up and take it to Folsom DMV on a BUSY day. Leave it strapped on the back of a big truck, so they have to climb on top of the truck bed to read all the numbers. Make sure it's hot that day. For me, the lady first asked me to read the numbers for her. I painted the frame, so can barely make out the VIN, so I preted to read it from the frame, but I was reading it off a registration paper in my hand. Than i gave her the engine number, so she wrote it down and paired it up with the frame number. Engine had 2,000 miles on it, old odometer 16k, so she went with frame paper miles of 5k without ever climbing up and checking any numbers or miles.

The most important part .. At some point, she will point out that it's an off-road bike on the papers and you will politely explain that is obviously a mistake, since this is clearly not a dirt bike, but street bike. She notes it, goes back and 15 min and few $$ later I had a perfectly legal registration.

I understand that this has some luck and getting the right person to work with, but it's possible. She didn't ask for stickers or anything like that.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts