Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’m obviously new here. I currently have a 05 MV Agusta Brutale 750, but recently fell in love with a GT1000. My Brutale has been a great bike; I’ve never had any issues with it. Having never ridden the GT1000, I’m a little concerned with trading the Brute. I would love to have both, but I can’t justify bringing another payment into the house.

I guess my question is. Will I be disappointed if I trade-in the Brutale toward a GT.:confused:

Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The local BMW/Ducati dealership sells MV Agusta. Some time back I took a ride on the Brutale 750. It was a fantastic bike.

You are sorta' comparing apples to oranges. The Brutale is a inline four and the Sport Classic is a V-twin. As well as I remember the Brutale didn't have the bottom end grunt that a Sport Classic has. The Brutale had a better suspension than the Sport Classic GTs that I rode (but not better than the Paul Smart). Styling is certainly different. As far a riding style goes, the Brutale is more in line with a Ducati Monster IMHO.

I don't know. "You pays your money and takes your chances."

·
Registered
603 Posts
This was well put by geospencer. Your current bike will rev faster and be a little more responsive. I would call the GT a little more relaxed. This is a stock vs stock comparison.So if you are ready to make that kind of change, there is nothing like a v-twin to enjoy bottom end& midrange that is missing in a 4cyl. I guess by looking at my current signature you would figure me for a twins guy, but I've had my share of fours,and will have more(Im after a MV F4 right now). I think you will be happy, Let us know...JS

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used to have a 750 and 910 Brutale before my sportclassic 1000 mono. You will be disappointed by the suspension and engine performance, but you will like the low end torque. Totally different bikes, and although I loved my MVs, I would not trade in my SC now for them. Depends on what you use the bike for...
btw as much as I loved my 750 Brute, I just couldnt handle the rough gas reactions of the 910.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome folks.

I'm aware of the different engine characteristics. I’ve had a few twins, in my years of riding. One of my favorites was the good ol’ TL1000s. I’m going try for a test ride or find someone local who might be willing to trade bikes for a couple of miles ;) .

Geospencer and Saab thanks for the heads-up on the suspension.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
702 Posts
On suspension. The bad news, if you ride a stock GT, you'll hate the bumps, vague steering, harsh ride and other curses. Good news, for about $3,000-4,000 (wheels, forks, shocks, damper) top, it can be fixed to match just about anything out there. Plenty of advice on this forum to guide you through it, so don't make a decision based on handling and leave some money to address these issues.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
On suspension. The bad news, if you ride a stock GT, you'll hate the bumps, vague steering, harsh ride and other curses. Good news, for about $3,000-4,000 (wheels, forks, shocks, damper) top, it can be fixed to match just about anything out there. Plenty of advice on this forum to guide you through it, so don't make a decision based on handling and leave some money to address these issues.
I would echo that but point out that you can achieve handling mods for much less than $4k if desired. Here is what I have done and the cost:

1. Hyperpro springs & oil: ~$160
2. Ohlins rear shocks: ~$1200 from Kyle Racing
3. Ohlins steering damper: $~400 from Kyle Racing

Those were good mods and were all I needed, and for less than $2000. Of course, you can spend more and do better...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$h1t folks, I made and error in my original post, I just realized it's a Sport 1000 that I'm interested in, not a GT 1000. I know the engine is the same, but the wheels and suspension are different. Now with that being said, what do we think about my original question.

Thanks
Mike (the Dumbass):D

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
$h1t folks, I made and error in my original post, I just realized it's a Sport 1000 that I'm interested in, not a GT 1000. I know the engine is the same, but the wheels and suspension are different. Now with that being said, what do we think about my original question.

Thanks
Mike (the Dumbass):D
Buy it and do some slight modifications… the wheels are ok so far… working on the forks cures the major problems

·
Registered
39 Posts
As mentioned earlier I also swapped my Brute to an SC1000 and not a GT. But needed to upgrade suspension etc. I think I spent so much money on this bike now that I could have bought a 1098. But its got the style. Anyway I also spent a lot of money on my Brutale. Guess its just this consumption mania.. Oh yeah dont forget that riding position is lot more uncomfortabel on the SC1000, but I like it because it gives you a better feeling for the front end.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i thought it was a little odd you going for a gt not a sport1k, given your preceding bikes!
i can't comment on your current bike - but the posts are all correct... s1k is great, but the front end isn't so flash.
if you swap over - perhaps take your time for a few months - get used to the handling and then consider if you want to upgrade handling. before purchase, perhaps 'mentally' put aside some cash for upgrades!

my recommendations:
1. lighter wheels
2. wasp damper
3. sprocket tooth adjustment
:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for all of the info. I have my eye on a new 06 left over; I just need to see what they can do as far as a trade. Or try to sell the Brute out right (hint hint ;) ). I was selling my bike approximately a month ago when the buyers financing fell through; I got bit by the mod bug. When I went to order a few parts, I noticed the sport 1000 sitting there and it was like a kick in the chest, and I needed to have it, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t just acting on an impulse. It’s now been 2 weeks since I saw the bike and still can stop thinking about it. Thanks again for helping with my decision. I know I won’t be sorry.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did it!!!:D

I put a deposit on a left over 06 Sport 1000 today. I actually had the opportunity to use a GT 1000 for a weekend; just to be sure I would like the power. Obviously I did. I’ll probably pick it up in a week or so. Then spend the rest of the season getting used to it and start saving up for the mods.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I did it!!!:D

I put a deposit on a left over 06 Sport 1000 today.
Congrats! The 06 is the best of the bunch with the single sided swingarm and the dry clutch.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Hope you like it , you would have taken a major $$ burn on the MV to get into one of these , and be majorly underwhelmed with the result in the end and the costs needed to get it right will well exceed expectations.

There not bad , but not that good , lol. You'll be hurting in your wallet now :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts