Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A silly dream of mine has always been to build a Supermono replica -- and actually copy the engine configuration of the original.

I've seen countless Supersports with Supermono fairings, but as far as I know I've never seen anyone try and create one with a single-cylinder engine. There's an awesome member somewhere here on Ducati.ms with a Husky 610 thumper motor in a Ducati frame, but I'm specifically wondering about converting a Desmo motor to single-cylinder duties.

Has anyone ever seen it done?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Supermono

The big deal about the Supermono was the engine "slave" rod assembly with bob weights that simulated an additional cylinder. This smoothed the engine out enough that 10,000+ RPMs were possible, something no other 500cc single had ever done. With more RPMs came more HP, so something like 70-75 was possible.

Now, to modify an existing Ducati engine to achieve the same results is possible, but way beyond the capabilities of the average builder.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Super mono

Number nine: Hercules is a 610 Husky in a custom frame by Doug Cook when he was a BCM employee. Not much is left of the original frame as the aluminum swing arm was replaced by Paul Hewitt of Toronto with a box section chrome-moly unit and the sub frame was replaced with a bolt on unit that I fabbed my self. Much easier to fix when crashed. No Ducati frame. Ducati wheels and suspension though. I'll include a picture of Hercules and my favorite girl just to refresh your memory! My best, Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guy! That's pretty neat, but without a Ducati frame or motor it may be stretching the explanation a bit :D

I bet it'd be fun to ride, though!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have so far built 3 DUCATI SUPERMONOs. I engineered the engine components & prototyped all carbon fiber parts you cannot buy. I will sell two of these three for $70K USD & decide if I really want to build the other two frames I have. The engines are fully balanced & rev freely to the 12K rev limiter. For more information search MCRR DUCATI SUPERMONO. Facebook search DUCATI SUPERMONO MAN

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have so far built 3 DUCATI SUPERMONOs. I engineered the engine components & prototyped all carbon fiber parts you cannot buy. I will sell two of these three for $70K USD & decide if I really want to build the other two frames I have. The engines are fully balanced & rev freely to the 12K rev limiter. For more information search MCRR DUCATI SUPERMONO. Facebook search DUCATI SUPERMONO MAN
MORE PICTURES, LOTS OF PICTURES; and then ADD MORE!!!!!! :LOL:
Now this is a proper holy thread revival!!!

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Yes it would be good to see pictures of them with their clothes off to see how close they are. I have worked on real supermono's including changing engine cases so am familiar with the bikes. From a distance the bikes look good I do congratulate you on getting this close I would be interested to see if it is made to be a true replica or more of a as close as you can get it without tooling up for one off parts. Alternator side magnesium cover was very unique as well as the frame tube diameter being smaller than you would expect.

Again beautiful job, it is about time someone made a supermono kit as it is every bit as desired as the TT2 and TT1 replica kit bikes that everyone builds.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
I have so far built 3 DUCATI SUPERMONOs. I engineered the engine components & prototyped all carbon fiber parts you cannot buy. I will sell two of these three for $70K USD & decide if I really want to build the other two frames I have. The engines are fully balanced & rev freely to the 12K rev limiter. For more information search MCRR DUCATI SUPERMONO. Facebook search DUCATI SUPERMONO MAN View attachment 979257
I just jizzed on my keyboard..................holy mother of gawd are they gorgeous.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts