Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a silly problem to have but i'm having trouble removing may old speedometer cable from the drive unit. I'm turning the knurled nut but whatever it is attached to must be turning as well because it is not coming lose. Am i missing something here? I can actually see about a 1/16" or a finely knurled barrel inside the drive unit that is spinning with the speedo nut. No way to get any kind of purchase on this piece though. Thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Had the same problem , applying heat only melts the plastic speedo drive housing :/
Had to remove the drive from the forks/wheel with cable attached. Applied mole grips to the drive unit nearest where the nurled nut is and after liberally soaking in WD40 managed to get the nurled nut turning with suitable pliers. Recommended a good grease next time its buttoned up.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Leave it connected & drop the wheel out anyway! Pull the drive out of the wheel when its out and refit before you pop the spindle back in?

Not too conversant with the mechanicals inside of these? I remember seeing a split pin/grubscrew in there holding the drive in place...

Anyone?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Speedo cable

Thanks for the replies. I looked closely and noticed the pin going through the drive housing. This pin holds the worm drive in place. With the pin removed i could remove the worm drive and hold it while loosening the end of the cable. Had to drop the front wheel slightly to have clearance for the pin to come out. No big deal but surely not the 20 minute job I was hoping for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts