Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I bought a pair of sexy Spark carbon cans for my '97 CR from Motowheels. They aren't Termis or SIL's but they fit my budget. Sadly they don't seem to fit my bike. Removing the stock silencers wasn't that easy either. This is a year where there is no clamp fitted where the silencer connects to the down pipes. They just slide in snugly and between an inner sleeve and the flared outer tube. I needed a pipe wrench to remove one of them but finally got them both off. However, the inside circumference of the new silencers is just slightly too small to fit over the inner sleeve. Is this common? Is there a technique or trick? I "lubed" pipes with dish soap but still couldn't get more than a few millimeters on the sleeve. I don't have a torch but could get one if heating the new pipe would help. Thanks in advance!

Robey

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I put on the same cans this past summer. They are a tight fit and I tried everything from cleaning up the slip fit joints, to lube, to heat and cold with no luck.

I eventually just made a short relief cut on the bottom side of the spark pipe making sure it was short enough to be hidden in the slip joint. After that they slide right on.

Don’t forget to remove the baffles, it gives a really nice sound and not too loud. 2 rivets to drill out :)

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put on the same cans this past summer. They are a tight fit and I tried everything from cleaning up the slip fit joints, to lube, to heat and cold with no luck.

I eventually just made a short relief cut on the bottom side of the spark pipe making sure it was short enough to be hidden in the slip joint. After that they slide right on.

Don’t forget to remove the baffles, it gives a really nice sound and not too loud. 2 rivets to drill out :)

Cheers.

Boom! Another forum win. I will do exactly that and report back. I owe you a cup of coffee when you are in NYC. Also, I ordered them with the DB killers but they don't even put them in. I guess they assume the vast majority of us will take them out eventually any way.

Stay tuned for video...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Nice looking pipes, and beautiful carpet. Just my two cents, but before I modified the pipes I would contact Motowheels to see what they say, and verify the sent you the correct parts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice looking pipes, and beautiful carpet. Just my two cents, but before I modified the pipes I would contact Motowheels to see what they say, and verify the sent you the correct parts.
Excellent suggestion but that would require a level of maturity and impulse control that may be beyond me when the prospect of cutting things and riding my bike are within my grasp. Ugh. Ok, I will call.

Also, the oriental rug was being thrown out by my neighbors a few years ago while I was going through a divorce and I snatched it right off the sidewalk for my bachelor pad. It needed some tlc but has anchored my living room ever since.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
You can buy a pipe expander for that size pipe at Harbor Freight, or probably Amazon. Even with slitting the pipe it makes it easier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can buy a pipe expander for that size pipe at Harbor Freight, or probably Amazon. Even with slitting the pipe it makes it easier.
I was wondering about that. Heading to Harbor Freight for a Dremel this morning and will look into a pipe expander.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Local muffler shop can might be able to put it on their expander, they usually deal with softer metal so I dunno,...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Using a combination of relief cut and Harbor Freight pipe expander. One can (nearly) fitted. Will follow up with pics when I'm done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. A 1 1/4" relief cut plus the Harbor Freight expander eventually got me where I needed to be. An unanticipated problem was the difficulty of expanding deeper into the pipe without over flaring the rim (and thus preventing full insertion). Sexy, I know. I ended up using a rubber mallet to reduce the rim flare then also used the mallet to drive the pipe all the way in. My concern that there would be leaks or a loose fit proved to be unfounded. The pipes are on real good. Mounting proved to be no problem at all once the silencer was in place as the brackets from Spark/Motowheels were perfect (if not the prettiest pieces I've seen). Note in the last pic below I have removed the mounting bolt so as to fit an additional spacer.

The sound is deep and magnificent...AF. I almost cried when I first heard them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
if you put a heavy clamp around the end of the pipe where you don't want it to expand, or even around the exposed end of the expander, that will help control it. a strong hose clamp will help, but a nice old exhaust clamp is better.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Very nice, glad it worked out. First start with a new exhaust is always good for a smile.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts