Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 HyperMotard 1100S
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've left my 900SS out in the rain for the last week or so, and when I've come back in the morning a couple times there's been a little bit of water over the ignition key barrel (and the rest of the dash).

I've noticed this week that it's become harder and harder to insert the ignition key & turn it in the barrel, to the point where it's now difficult to start the bike as it takes me a minute or two of manipulating the key to get the bike from 'Lock' to 'Ignition'.

I have two keys (I've only been using one), and both are exhibiting this problem so I'm guessing it's the barrel. Anyone familiar with this..?

·
Registered
2008 HyperMotard 1100S
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? That's it? Thanks, I'll give it a shot...

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
number9 said:
I've left my 900SS out in the rain for the last week or so, and when I've come back in the morning a couple times there's been a little bit of water over the ignition key barrel (and the rest of the dash).

I've noticed this week that it's become harder and harder to insert the ignition key & turn it in the barrel, to the point where it's now difficult to start the bike as it takes me a minute or two of manipulating the key to get the bike from 'Lock' to 'Ignition'.

I have two keys (I've only been using one), and both are exhibiting this problem so I'm guessing it's the barrel. Anyone familiar with this..?
Yes, this has happened to me a few times. Usually because I've let water get into and stand in the key lock!

Best way to loosen things up is to use some graphite lube...

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=7651377&Description=Lubricant+-+Graphite+Based

I picked up a tube at my local Napa store. Just coat the key in the stuff and put it in the lock. Take the key out, coat it again and put it back in the lock. Turn it around in the lock and it will begin to loosen up again.

·
Registered
2008 HyperMotard 1100S
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
El_Gladiator said:
Put WD 40 or grease in the barel or, better, graphit (powder of paper pen lead, easy to find :D ) and it should be Ok ;)
You, sir, are a genius; a scholar among gentleman. It worked great!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could be a shot of WD-40 will fix it or it could be a screw has fallen out of the bottom side of the lock not letting the key to turn freely. Take your hand and feel the bottom of the barrel and see if you can push it up with your fingers. While pushing on the bottom see if your key turns better. This is what happen to my ignition, a screw fell out letting the insides of the unit drop a little bit and making it hard to turn the key. My god I have had loads of problems over the years but forgot most of them until I see someone on the form with a similar problem :think: .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts