Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to remove the cat from my 2010 796 and cannot get this one f*ing bolt off. The hex screw seems to be partially stripped which isn't helping. I've tried the 4, 5, and 6 size hex, and all of them just spin. As soon as I can get this off, I can put on my leo vince cat delete pipes!

How on earth do I get to this thing? Do I need to take off the rear brake assembly? Also, would anyone happen to know what size wrench I need to unscrew the o2 sensor? I can't get that to budge either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seemed to remember using an open-ended wrench on the nut behind that socket cap bolt (the nut that holds that socket cap bolt in). I remember it being tight like it had Loctite.

If the head of the socket cap bolt spins when turning the nut, you could also grab the head with pliers.

Alternatively, I bet they sell super-shorty metric allen wrenches at your local auto parts store. That might fit nicely in the limited space you have available.

Nice mod BTW
Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip JohnnyCakes!

I was finally able to get the bolt off by using a ball-hex key....I had never heard of them before, but it worked like magic. It turned out that the nut behind it actually stays stationary, so there's no need to hold it.

Now I can't get the whole exhaust assembly off the bike

Everything is loosed and ready to come off, but won't for some reason. Extremely frustrating. It seems like the pipe that connects the muffler to the cat is stuck (see attached picture). What's the best way to get it un-stuck? I tried pulling off the exhaust all the way from the muffler, but that didn't work either.

It's also stuck in the picture below, but I'm guessing that's only because the rest of the exhaust behind it is stuck too.

I must be doing something wrong because everyone says this mod is so easy :think:

Anyone have any tips? Once I get the pipes off, I'm hoping that putting on the new ones will be a breeze.

·
Registered
718 Posts
tips--- rubber mallet,wd40 and don't be afraid to take off the whole system. and yes its easy to do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tips--- rubber mallet,wd40 and don't be afraid to take off the whole system. and yes its easy to do.
I actually have the whole system unclamped right now but can't get it off. When I push down on the cat, the pipes move down like half an inch and then move back up when I let go. I feel like it needs to be pulled clear of the muffler to the front of the bike, and down at the same time maybe?

I'm letting the space where the pipes join soak in WD-40 overnight to try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Some firm taps with rubber mallor us what I did . I do remember it being stubborn though !!. Good luck , LV pipes really bring 796 to life

·
From Down Under
23 Posts
Some of the blokes on the AF1 forum had to let their bikes run and get hot and then were able to separate the cat joins away from the standard pipes.Heard this suggested more than once and seemed to work on the Aprilias.

Chuck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of the blokes on the AF1 forum had to let their bikes run and get hot and then were able to separate the cat joins away from the standard pipes.Heard this suggested more than once and seemed to work on the Aprilias.

Chuck
Thanks! I'm trying to avoid putting everything back together just so I can warm it up, but if that's what it takes to get those pipes apart then I'm gonna do it!

·
Registered
718 Posts
take off the rear header pipe off the bike and the cat will just drop.yes you need to wack it hard with the rubber mallet.put your foot on the rear tire from the front of the bike and pull the pipe out of the front cylinder.
be a man,lol had too!!!

its that easy.no more the two minutes.if you lived closer i would just go over and do it for you.
the two tight spot will be the front head pipe and the slip on part where the pipe exit the cat to the mufflers.thats why i said dont be afraid to take it all off.you'll learn you bike better that way

mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
take off the rear header pipe off the bike and the cat will just drop.yes you need to wack it hard with the rubber mallet.put your foot on the rear tire from the front of the bike and pull the pipe out of the front cylinder.
be a man,lol had too!!!

its that easy.no more the two minutes.if you lived closer i would just go over and do it for you.
the two tight spot will be the front head pipe and the slip on part where the pipe exit the cat to the mufflers.thats why i said dont be afraid to take it all off.you'll learn you bike better that way

mike
I know, I feel like it totally should not be taking this long! It's hard for me to hit an expensive ducati part with a rubber mallet, even if it doesn't harm it! :eek:

I guess once I finish this up, I'll know how to do it way faster next time haha

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh also: I cranked on the o2 sensor as hard as I could, but wasn't able to unscrew it from the pipe. I ended up just unhooking it, with the plan to try unscrewing it once the pipe is off. Is this usually so hard to remove?

I'm getting my o2 sensor disabled soon, but need it to be working before then.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay I got everything on now, but need to replace the o2 sensor, because I'm guessing the bike won't run well without it until I get my ECU reflashed.

The problem is, I can't get this damn thing off. It's supposed to unscrew right? It feels like it's welded in or something.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it should unscrew. WD40 it and let it soak for a while, see if that will loosen it up a bit.
Tried letting it soak for about an hour in WD40 and Liquid Wrench...still nothing :confused:

Also tried heating the bolt up with a hair dryer, but that didn't help at all. At this point, I may just leave the o2 sensor on there and skip my ride today. I'm sending my ECU out to get reflashed tomorrow, so I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts