Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I finally get the time to pull the wheels off my bike so I can replace tires for an upcoming track day. I loosen the nut and adjusters and slide the rear axle as far forward as it will go. I can't get the friggin' chain off the sprocket. Due to lazyness and time constraints on my part, the last two tire changes were done at a dealer, so this is the first time I've tried to remove this wheel. Should I force the chain? or should I say how much can I force it without getting myself further into trouble?

I'm pretty sure the problem is that the previous owner replaced the rear sprocket with a 42 (stock is 38tooth), but didn't get a longer chain at the same time. Never the less, that wheel has been off twice since I've owned it. Am I missing something? I've only pulled wheels a few times, but I've never had trouble.

I have to get this fixed soon. Track day is on Monday. Please help.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Did you try pulling the axle all the way out ,and then slide the tire forward?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you try pulling the axle all the way out ,and then slide the tire forward?
Worked like a charm! On my previous bike I didn't have to do it that way.

Next problem: Front axle is 'reluctant' to come out. The axle nut is off and the pinch bolts have been loosened, but I've only gotten the axle to slide about an inch. I'm reluctant to use a drift to pound it out, how do you guys do it? TIA.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I've been pretty lucky on mine. I usually pull hard, and twist to get them out. If that don't work they say to use a plastic mallet, but that only works for part of the way. If twisting it out don't work, you may be able to tap it out with some plastic pipe and a hammer, but only if it comes out easy. Someone else may have a better suggestion. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been pretty lucky on mine. I usually pull hard, and twist to get them out. If that don't work they say to use a plastic mallet, but that only works for part of the way. If twisting it out don't work, you may be able to tap it out with some plastic pipe and a hammer, but only if it comes out easy. Someone else may have a better suggestion. Hope this helps.
That definitely helps. thanks. BTW, how heavily do you grease the axles when reassembling? I'm thinking that might aid future removals.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
That definitely helps. thanks. BTW, how heavily do you grease the axles when reassembling? I'm thinking that might aid future removals.
Yeah I think thats the reason to do it. I think a light coating should be fine.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
The hollow front axles tend to get crushed to an oval shape because they're always placed back in, in the same orientation, or 180 deg. rotated (to allow access to the compression setting screw). also, if you go heavy-handed when tightening the pinch bolts, they thend to exert a alot of crush force, without a lot of effort!

I usually get it to come out 1/4 to 1/2", and then insert an allen key into the open slots, rotate B+F a bit while pushing from the left side. A third hand would help here!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The hollow front axles tend to get crushed to an oval shape because they're always placed back in, in the same orientation, or 180 deg. rotated (to allow access to the compression setting screw). also, if you go heavy-handed when tightening the pinch bolts, they thend to exert a alot of crush force, without a lot of effort!

I usually get it to come out 1/4 to 1/2", and then insert an allen key into the open slots, rotate B+F a bit while pushing from the left side. A third hand would help here!
Another good idea. thanks.

i ended up using a bit of pvc pipe and tapped it out gently. Thanks for the ideas and help!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I have an old axle I use as a drift.. in a pinch, a properly sized screwdriver works too. Insert the driving end into the axle and hammer on the plastic handle

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts

Besides not over tightening the pinch bolts, I wonder if one could drill small holes at 90 deg. to the original ones, then rotate the axle 90 deg. each time it is reinstalled. This might correct the oval each time. A spot of paint as an index mark.

Just slap me if I'm being too a.r. again. (anal retentive)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Besides not over tightening the pinch bolts, I wonder if one could drill small holes at 90 deg. to the original ones, then rotate the axle 90 deg. each time it is reinstalled. This might correct the oval each time. A spot of paint as an index mark.

Just slap me if I'm being too a.r. again. (anal retentive)

That might help. My axle definitely had a slight oval shape. Hopefully using the correct torque from now on will prevent it from getting worse.

Thanks to everyone for the many useful replies. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts