Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After adjusting the lever pitch angle to match my natural hand position, I bled the clutch slave cylinder at its nipple.

I removed rubber cap & cleaned bleed nipple lightly with bronze wire brush & blew in compressed can air.

Used Rubber surgical hose & zip tie at nipple end, placed hose in jar with a inch of brake fluid. Squeezed clutch lever gently and opened nipple but banjo opened up & naturally fluid flowed out.

I thought nipple might be clogged, so inserted thin metal tie wire. I measured wire depth & it seemed to be touching clutch slave banjo.

Since, fluid was not exiting bleed valve, I just bled through clutch slave banjo by catching fluid with rag.

Afterwards, road tested clutch operation & it worked satisfactorily. But, I want to flush more old fluid out. Fluid is dark at reservoir but clear at slave. I will just suck it with syringe from reservoir as I don't want that color traveling down.

Questions:

When I unscrew bleed nipple, How can I secure Banjo from rotating. It appeared to have only one flat edge thus not enough to grab with a wrench.

Does the banjo have to be at a certain angle to the slave so that inside orifices line up properly with bleed valve.

Am I doing this basically correct. I have never bled nipples attached to banjos.

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You shouldnt be loosening the banjo bolt when you unscrew the bleed nipple. You're either loosening the wrong nut (only loosen the top nut) or the banjo nut is turning with the bleed nipple nut. Get a wrench on the banjo nut and hold it tight while you crack open the bleed nipple nut.

What model of Ducati is this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also, I'm not sure why the 1" of fluid in the jar is needed. You're not bleeding it up through the slave, you're bleeding it downwards from the master.
Do you have the cap off the master reservoir?
Open the reservoir and clean it out and refill with fresh new fluid of the correct type before you start bleeding.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
I don’t know why you would waste an inch of brake fluid for this either. It’s just so you don’t accidentally suck air. The discolored fluid from the master can be used for that if you’re not sucking it back in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Forgot to say it's a 2006 ST3s.

Thanks very much for the responses.

Well, I'll be damned, yes, there is actually a nut at the bleed nipple and instead I was loosening the 12 mm banjo bolt. I knew something just did not feel right about this bleed, but I couldn't put my finger on it (pun to irresistible). I need to get some light in garage or stop fixating on the largest target.

Reservoir top was uncovered & filled & monitored.

Why fluid at bottom of jar? It was old, opened fluid & small glass jar. I can ensure fluid is moving thru hose by seeing it bubble. If I don't have a good seal at nipple/hose, then I might not see leakage until it spreads over bike parts. Yes, and at later stage of bleed to prevent sucking up air. Also, did not have transparent tube, instead brown opaque surgical tubing.

Oh, thanks for the reminder to suck out the black fluid from reservoir.

Also, since I have a syringe, I might just do a reverse bleed.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oooh. Nice slave cylinder there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, bought this red ST3s about 2 months ago and I was wondering what that part was (I've always had cables) and if it was stock or aftermarket.

Bike just approaching 16K so one less thing to work on. I'm still at the fresh, eager stage like when you have a new girlfriend. If I'm not riding her, I am in the garage dry riding in the saddle, making "Pom Bom" noises.

Coming from upright bikes, I love the mild forward lean sport position. My back feels great but the wrist/hands do need a break about every hour which is about the right time to stop and pee.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
bleeding/

when all else fails disconnect the slave & position it above the master so air bubbles will rise towards the bleeder,then bleed.don't forget not to squeeze the lever!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts