Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sharkskinz

Sharkskinz makes a Supermono body kit for the SS - the result would not be nearly as cool as the Troll technically (or technologically) but pretty cool looking none the less. TT

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thats the one ...

...and yer right, its for the older bikes, not that there's anything at all wrong with that! Having said that, I wouldn't spend the $ unless I needed new bodywork. Looks cool tho. TT

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
just wanted to bring this thread back up, as i came across the troll supertwin
web-site the other day, after i saw the thread OP's avatar*, which reminded
me of that.

great bike, worth looking at again for sure.

:cool: :cool:

http://www.trollsupertwin.com/page_one.html

*thought the thread OP has one and was hoping for some nice inside info.

:abduct:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thats my new official dream bike.

I like the nose fairing prop... It's ridiculous how bad our mirrors bounce.

And the exhaust??!?!?! That tech drawing shows how its routed, thats insane... and awesome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Troll

Once again Ducati had the obvious solution and all the work done for them and ignored it to produce pseudo dirt bikes. I wait albeit with more and more of an eye toward Japan.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Once again Ducati had the obvious solution and all the work done for them and ignored it to produce pseudo dirt bikes. I wait albeit with more and more of an eye toward Japan.
I guess I'll have to disagree. I am an ardent SS fan having owned three since 1998. For me the SS concept includes 2-up capability even if for short (up to 200 mi. days) distances only. If Ducati made a monopost only SS I wouldn't be interested. I'd just keep my current SS1000DS and my 998 Bayliss.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
just wanted to bring this thread back up, as i came across the troll supertwin
web-site the other day, after i saw the thread OP's avatar*, which reminded
me of that.

great bike, worth looking at again for sure.

:cool: :cool:

http://www.trollsupertwin.com/page_one.html

*thought the thread OP has one and was hoping for some nice inside info.

:abduct:

That is an interesting article. Thanks. Although I don't feel like I'm in a particularly disagreeable mood this morning, I am going to disagree with this paragraph:

"In 1999, the 900ss was given a radical facelift by in-house Ducati designer Pierre Terblanche. The resulting model, loosely styled after the iconic 1993 Ducati Supermono, met with limited public acceptance and middling sales, in part because of the bike's questionable aesthetics and partly because the bike seemed a disappointing amalgam of too much weight and not enough performance coupled with race-oriented ergonomics more suited to the Ducati 916/996. Terblanche, who also designed the Supermono (which to this day is considered the most beautiful Ducati ever built), came in for withering criticism from many who felt his 900ss design lacked the subtle beauty and functionality of Massimino Tamburini's stunning 916. Unfortunately, Terblanche's styling misstep and Ducati's lack of vision ultimately doomed the air-cooled v-twin motor as a sportbike platform."

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all of that, IMHO the most beautiful design is the 916. I have no way of knowing of course but I think it's possible most ducatisti would agree. But, the point is the aforementioned statement about the Supermono is no "slam dunk" to use the American vernacular.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Beautiful! I still have the 2001 issue of Roadracing World with the article about Jeff Nash's Troll Supertwin build. Finally was able to send my SS engine to him a few years ago to get built up. Don't know if I would have the means, but would love to have a Troll in my garage someday.

Regards,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Mine's not a Troll but it is based on a variation on the Supermono fairing; in Carbon Fibre on mine.

The last two pics are of a Monster based bike that lives in Japan. Pretty awesome job I thought.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts