Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A minor matter really, just realized the other day that my ignition key flap thing doesn't fully close, this may be an issue cause i have to park it outside for work, and water may get in?

Im pretty sure its not meant to be like this, some water must have gotten into the barrel when i was washing it last, as the key wont really fit in the next day. But a little bit of WD40 helped get the key in, but it seems half of the key flap doesnt want to fully 'extend' no matter what i do.

Any suggestions short of blasting wd40 directly down the barrel or at the flap?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had this problem with mine, so I just took the lock off the bike and blasted it with switch cleaner and then a bit of WD40 for a lubricant! Works a treat now.

John

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
I’ve had the same problem. WD40 is what I used. Didn't blast it down the barrel, but I did soak the key with it. Worked the wet key in, out, on, off several times and things free up nicely. I probably would also wet the top with WD40 and rub it in with my finger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve had the same problem. WD40 is what I used. Didn't blast it down the barrel, but I did soak the key with it. Worked the wet key in, out, on, off several times and things free up nicely. I probably would also wet the top with WD40 and rub it in with my finger.
Hmm.. sort of tried that already, ill try again. Otherwise may have to give the switch cleaner idea a go!

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I always blast WD40 directly into gthe barrel until it bubbles out and never had an issue after washing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had the same problem and noticed a small indentation in the sheet metal just next to the key slot. Probably caused by me missing the slot with my key and denting it in.

A small screw driver, carefully applied under the dent to pry it up, and the little slot cover thingy once again worked just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts