Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend managed to low-side his 749 a few days ago and the only damage was this and some scuffs on the lowers. How can this be removed? There's no wiggle to the front end when riding nor is there any play when it's up on the stands.

TIA

-Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
score a line in the nut almost to the axle. Tap it with a cold chisel to split the nut.

I would replace the axle when you put on the new nut.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
That would work. Spinny tool will do pretty much anything.

First though, you might try using hand files to de-burr, clean and shape the axle and nut. You might find it comes right off with the socket after that.

In any case, you should replace both with new pieces after removal.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
That would work. Spinny tool will do pretty much anything.

First though, you might try using hand files to de-burr, clean and shape the axle and nut. You might find it comes right off with the socket after that.

In any case, you should replace both with new pieces after removal.
+1.

I'd just tap a socket on to that nut and spin it off as it sits, since you won't be trying to salvage either bit. There doesn't apper to be any damage to the nut flats.

The pinch bolts will prevent the axle turning when you turn the nut off.

·
Registered
511 Posts
File off the boogered up part of the grind on the nut and axle, and it should come right off. \

Then turn the ground up part to the bottom so no one will see it.

No, No, No, replace it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, will be helping him this weekend with it. Will let you know what happens!!

-Chris

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Mine looked pretty similar to that. Funny enough, the nut came right off. I was running it that way for 6mo, but a spun wheel bearing forced its removal. Getting the nut back on to run the threads before grinding was a challenge. The replacement axle didn't come in time, so I reused it. One of these days I'll swap it out.

Funny enough, that was the only mechanical damage in my incident with a tree falling in front of me. Everything else was just cosmetic on the fairings.

Have a good one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts