Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I would ask this on the Triumph site but I have a Sport Classic too and I know this crowd knows more about rectifiers.

I want to relocate the rectifier on my bonneville from under the headlight to below the battery. Either on the wheel side or the engine.

My question is, in the vast knowledge of overheating rectifiers, will mine be ok in either of these spots or will it overheat.

Pictures to explain.

With the side panel on for an idea of airflow

·
Registered
72 Posts
why not just get the yamaha (Shindengen) mosfet rectifier instead? you won't need to relocate it since it gives out so much less heat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the relocation is purely cosmetic as it normally sits right blow the headlight. I am lowering the headlight and gauges and it is in the way as well as being ugly.

I know I can get a mosfet one but I would rather spend the money on something else. Like a new one for my SC

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well, while you're at it you might as well put some shims (washers?) in between the rectifier and it's mounting plate so you get some cooling airflow underneath it. You may need slightly longer bolts, but it's cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
it looks like it would be ok there -- Jeff's suggestion is a good one.

also make sure you seal the connections well, so that spray from the rear doesn't worm its way in.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Ok, I would ask this on the Triumph site but I have a Sport Classic too and I know this crowd knows more about rectifiers.

I want to relocate the rectifier on my bonneville from under the headlight to below the battery. Either on the wheel side or the engine.

My question is, in the vast knowledge of overheating rectifiers, will mine be ok in either of these spots or will it overheat.

Pictures to explain.

With the side panel on for an idea of airflow

If I were you I would leave it up front somewhere .....after all the British came up with the Zener Diode in the wind concept....to begin with ...and its a good one...(at least if your name is Lucas and you invented night time ) ...the last place I would want a device that is a heat sync would be anywhere near a hot engine....

Just sayin'

Stephano

·
Registered
84 Posts
Totally agree! This is the way to go. The mosfet makes a big difference in heat.

why not just get the yamaha (Shindengen) mosfet rectifier instead? you won't need to relocate it since it gives out so much less heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts